moodyskydiver

to velcro or not to velcro?

I have velcro, because I was too big to find a used rig (6' 3", 230lbs) that fit me, and I bought a Dolphin because it was a good, safe (for belly flying anyway, and that's almost all I do) rig that I could afford. A good used rig would have been somewhat older, and likely would have still had velcro anyway...

That said, I'll have the risers covers converted to tuck tab the first time the velcro needs to be replaced, instead of having the velcro replaced.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

You can only get one or two rigs new with velcro anymore and those that you can are not in the top 10 of being popular rigs anymore.

I think a better question is who has velcroless toggles and who does'nt.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

When I was looking for (2nd hand) gear I found only 3 rigs that were comfortable (and affordable). One was a too-small javelin (120 ft main) with hip rings and all in all way cool but alas, one was a plain black (I like black) vector 2 with velcro all around and the other was a multi-colored atom classic (no velcro). I could've had the vector2 modified but I got the atom instead.
Had some work done on that one as well; had a crw-flap-thingy sewn on to secure the reserve flap better for head-up FF and for CREW, and had the walrus teeth replaced after a while because they needed to be.

I now have a velco-free rig which is great for FF'ing. I really like the no-velcro-maintenance part. My rig gets accepted for FF at other DZ's.

However, I still have to look after all the tucktabs and walrus teeth and stuff of course. No velcro doesn't mean maintenance free...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

One of our riggers came up with a pretty good velcroless toggle keeper. Very similar to the one they have on the strong tandems. Has a elastic pouch for the bottom of the toggle and elastic pouch behind the toggle's grommet on the riser to hold the excess line. works well IMHO, and no tiny rubber bands/velcro to replace either. the only place I have velcro, is on my reserve risers, at least the last time I had to use it

I would go with no velcro.

I, myself, have an older Vector II, with velcro. But I got a killer deal on it, brand new, off the shelf back in '96, and it fits almost perfectly. The velcro, up to now, is the ONLY thing I would do different.

That being said, the velcro riser covers consistently come undone in freefall, unless the risers are packed very tediously and carefully.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

That being said, the velcro riser covers consistently come undone in freefall, unless the risers are packed very tediously and carefully.

Geez, bikerbabe, take that thing to your rigger, or send it back to RWS, and have that stuff replaced! That's even potentially dangerous for belly flying, unless you guys never ever funnel.

That's why nobody's using velcro anymore, it's not that it doesn't work, it's that it's too high maintenance!!!:P It degrades gradually over time, with each and every peeling and unpeeling, and requires vigilant maintenance to perform the duties for which it was intended.

"If all you ever do is all you ever did, then all you'll ever get is all you ever got."

Oh, I will. It's a matter of a) scrounging up the money (my income is carefully budgeted to cover training and meets...) and b) finding a time when my rig can be out of commission for a time...I've been jumping my ass off lately!

But like I said, I know how to pack it so the velcro doesn't come undone.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Yes,I understand that.. apparently I'm just not making myself clear so nevermind.

I think what Moody's asking is:

Should she get toggles with or without velcro? Opinions? Hazards? bennies?

(That about right, Moody? )

I got velcro toggles. They're fine. I've never used anything else, tho, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Go to Velcro-less toggles. As the Velcro wears, it can peel off upon opening and release, causing a spin. It's also true that Velcro-less toggles need to be inspected for frayed stitching, but the latter last longer.

Harry
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

I like velcro toggles.

Why?

On no-velcro toggle systems, there is usually no provision for stowing the excess steering line. That excess steering line not being stowed has created several situations that ended in cutaways. That sucks... right, IronMike? (he only had it happen twice...)

I like velcro toggles.

Why?

On no-velcro toggle systems, there is usually no provision for stowing the excess steering line. That excess steering line not being stowed has created several situations that ended in cutaways. That sucks... right, IronMike? (he only had it happen twice...)

But ... but ... but ... you sold me a rig with velcro-less toggles? Not to worry though as Hooknswoop showed me a way to stow the loose ends. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over