pinkskyvan

World Championships Canopy Piloting

speed final results:

1) john zuliani - canada
2) jay moledzki - canada
3) chris hayes - canada

today they jumped 2 rounds of zone accuracy and 1 round of distance. tomorrow the comp starts at 9 am with round 2 and 3 distance and and round 3 accuracy.
the competition goes really well. today there were about 10000 spectators.
the pond looks great, the judges are happy and the competitors as well.
check out www.freefly.com for new pictures of the competition and the party on friday night in the townhall of vienna.

I don't agree with "and the competitors as well".

The first round of accuracy was a nightmare for many of the competitors. The wind was unpredictable, 0 - 7 m/s. Many competitors landed in the water due to the lack of speed and got a zero.

No fair chance to make a decent approach.

This round should not have been started at these conditions. After the first landings the meet should have been stopped and restarted when the conditions were acceptable like a few hours later.

This supposed to be a great World Championship but for many it's not anymore.

Hey Henny, I am not there and you are, so I don't mean to be critical, but were the winds within the specified limits for everyones' runs? I don't think there is a single one of us who has not been screwed during one round or another due to winds. I have competed in meets where one pass of guys got a ten mph tail wind and the very next pass got ten mph in the face. It sucks, but of course we cannot control mother nature can we?

At any rate, I wish everyone luck and I hope that you have an injury-free meet.

Cheers!

Chuck Blue

I don't think there is a single one of us who has not been screwed during one round or another due to winds. I have competed in meets where one pass of guys got a ten mph tail wind and the very next pass got ten mph in the face. It sucks, but of course we cannot control mother nature can we?

This is what happened to some of us last weekend in CO during the last distance round of the CPC Championships. Load #1 had downwind conditions, then the winds did a complete 180 and Load #2 was swooping into a strongish headwind. Then they shifted again this time to a crosswind for Load #3 and all this wind shifting cost Tom Dellibac 1st place (he was on Load #2). But what can you do? It wan't the organizers who were messing with the weather. It was that bi-otch Mother Nature who was messing with us.

By the way ... congrats to John Zuliani. He was fast last weekend in CO and he obviously didn't lose any speed this weekend in Europe.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Bloody Canucks!!

The conditions have been tough and people have done well to deal with the conditions. John Zuliani is definately looking in great form! congrats so far. the wind has been within the limits for the most part but has been really erratic. some people have been hosed including myself but its looking like today will be really nice.

Paul

I know these two links:

http://www.skyday.net/en/
http://www.freefly.com/

but as of today, Aug.27, at 17:15 (championship time), both of them show no results.

The latter one has some pictures online, but still no results!

Maybe general interests in this discipline is not so high even among official sites.

The FAI page:

http://events.fai.org/parachuting/details.asp?id=3471/

has a link to the first above cited.
Roberto Gozzi