airborne82nd

ok strange question

ok if one leans forward in the harness like i do on landing does that effect the flight of the canopy opposed to leaning way back in the harness like some do also and what about just being neutral in the harness.

i have no idea why i lean forward in the harness i guess its just me.

just wondering what that does good bad or what to the glide, flight, speed, flare, riser and togle pressure.

anyone indulging me i realy appreciate it.

c

from what I can tell from what everyone has said here before that it does not affect the canopy flight but it certainly can look mooth man

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

wot really affect flight but it will help take the first step. sit in a chair and try to run. did ya fall on your ass? same thing in your harness. its kinda hard to run leaning back like that

I think it effects the flight. However, not in the way that people believe. I've started doing some drill dives with a canopy laying the base. You fly a box around that base horizontally. The only input that you give to any aspect of your flying (besides some harness for the lateral movements) is to get big or small to move forward or backwards in relation to your base. Body position effects HP canopy flight.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

It affects any canopy's flight. For years now on CRW big-ways, we've had most of the formation in a hard arch the entire skydive - it really helps keep the base moving. Only the outside's aren't. It works well - anytime a big CRW formation starts to cup or get iffy, you'll hear a large chorus of catcalls to "ARCH!"

W

yeah getting small will change your position relative to the canopy and let you stay forward in the window allowing for longer distance

I definately agree with that but as far as harness input from said same definately not

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Actually leaning forward or backward will change the flight. Think about the center of gravity on the wing. Now think about hanggliders and how they control the wing. Everything is done with weight shifting. If you lean forward in the harness and get more wieght to the front the wing becomes nose heavy, if you lean back the cg is more in the tail.

Sometime get with another HP canopy pilot and get side by side. do not make any inputs with your arms, just lean forward and notice what happens, then lean back and notice the change.

Chris

think about hanggliders and how they control the wing. Everything is done with weight shifting. If you lean forward in the harness and get more wieght to the front the wing becomes nose heavy, if you lean back the cg is more in the tail.

Not really. A hang glider pilot hnags under the wing, much like a skydiver, but the reason their weight shift works is the bar they push/pull on to hold their weight forward or back. without this leverage point, their leaning forward and back would be as useless as a skydiver leaning forward or back.

The jumper hangs from a single point, the big ring on the harness. Lean any way you want (fore or aft), you weight is still hanging off the bottom of the ring.

Positioning in the harness is useful for obtaining leverage for harness turns, or other inputs, as well as setting yourself up to take your wieght on landing.

As far as altering the picth of the wing, not so much.

Its not a major effect, but there is some and noticeable on a wing loaded at 2.0 or higher. Just give it a try sometime, when you lean forward or back your wieght is shifting in relation to the attachment point. I may not explain the dynamics very well, but I can tell you it does work.

Chris

If you move in the harness you will momentarily change the cog of your body. Normally cog will be more or less straight below the 3-rings. (slighlty behind due to the drag your body introduces) If you then move backwards or forwards in the harness you will force the wing to pitch up or down without distoring the airfoil. I have absolutely no idea how much this effect is, I am just explaining it from a physics point of view :)This effect is very similar to the movement a child is making on a swing to make it move back and forth without any interaction with outside forces. Move your cog back and the swing will swing forward and vice versa. And the swing has the same single attachment dynamics as a harness.

But otoh, I think that the most visible effect is the change of drag that someone mentioned. Interestingly enough the result of this will be exactly the same as the wightshifting: you are able to change the pitch of the canopy without any distortion of the airfoil.

regards,
Stefan

ps.
cog = center of gravity