CanopyPiloting

CPC CHAMPIONSHIPS updates...

Thirdly, the success I have been having in my swooping that the CPC events have been pretty much reduced to a mere waste of time.

No it hasn't. Not only should you have proven something to yourself, but you've proved something else to all those nay sayers (myself included) who said you couldn't win without a cross-braced canopy. I understand your beef. But the CPC is ever changing and ever evolving.

Thank you Steve. But proving my abilities to myself and others doesn't do shit for me when the event standards have changed enitirely. Yes, the CPC is ever changing, and I have been a strong supporter of the changes that were made at the BEGINNING of this season. I however am not supportive of drastic course changes just weeks before the championship.

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

I fail to see why you are still bitching... The course is straight get over it man. If you can fly a carving course then you can fly a straight one. Also if you are good enough to compete in the CPC championship then you should be able to handle a little change in a course. If this is to much of a mind fuck for you then maybe you should reconsider coming out to Co because you obviously shouldn't be competitng then.

I fail to see why you are still bitching... The course is straight get over it man. If you can fly a carving course then you can fly a straight one. Also if you are good enough to compete in the CPC championship then you should be able to handle a little change in a course. If this is to much of a mind fuck for you then maybe you should reconsider coming out to Co because you obviously shouldn't be competitng then.

Easy buddy. I think its BS to change the rules so late in the game, but if I was going to CO in the first place, I would still go and compete and have fun.

Personally I look at it as giving legitimacy to the CPC as a competitive circuit. Having a set of rules for the seaon, leaving them as such and not changing the national rules at the last minute. So much changing seemingly month to month in the middle of the competitve season is giving the CPC a lack of credibility. Same thing as I was talking about previously about the serious differences in scoring in all the different regions.

I want to see the CPC succeed fully, I enjoy flying in it too much, but if it has a future these are the sort of things that need to be worked out ahead of time.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Vectracide - Surely you have been on this webite and following the CPC long enough to know that since this is Jim's baby, he has the right to change it when and if he pleases. All he has to is say that it is "evolution" and everyone seems to bite.

On behalf of Jim, Thanks for taking part in the Canopy Piloting Pyramid Scam.

All he has to is say that it is "evolution" and everyone seems to bite.

tell you what, you start organizing competitions on a national level then start talking shit.

being an organizer on a regional level i for one know i can't make everyone happy, it just doesn't happen. i couldn't even imagine trying to cope with the logistics on a national/ international level. i for one don't agree with everything jim does but i give my .02 and if he takes it great, if not then he probably has something better in mind for the future. most of us aren't looking at what competitions will be like in the future, these little "growing pains" are just part of the process.

as far as changing the course from carved to straight, they probably did this for safety reason as a lot of pilots got fucked up on this event last year. plus it makes course changes easier too. there are going to be a shit load of competitors there this year and the organizers will need to be as efficient as possible to get everything done on time.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Seriously, the CPC could be a fantastic thing, it's just a shame it's not about the people competing as much is it is the Jim Slaton show. It's BS to change the rules this late in the year. Evolution… that is laughable. You tell everyone this is the way it's going to be run and at the last min. you change it up... that's BS, I can't believe anyone would stick up for that....

Just look at what a joke the PST has become... Notice you don't see any of the big boys competing this year... Ok, a couple have showed up here and there, but for the most part they are in Europe or not competing, the PST is more or less the advanced CPC, it's really a joke... A couple years ago it was a different story, you had the PD Factory Team, Icarus Team, Team Xaos, you don't think those companies just dried up as far as swooping goes, they just probably see the PST as the joke it is and don't want to spend money in marketing at the events. Unfortunately the same thing is going to probably happen to the CPC if Jim is the only one running it.

For Jim, the PST and CPC is just a vehicle to peddle his canopies, pretty smart really, think about it, if Jim wasn’t doing the CPC/PST stuff how many of his canopies do you think he would have sold? Not to mention I'm sure he pockets a good deal of cash. So really it's about the money, not about progressing the sport...

Good luck at the Jim Championships!

as far as changing the course from carved to straight, they probably did this for safety reason as a lot of pilots got fucked up on this event last year. plus it makes course changes easier too.

1) Safety: If a carving course is unsafe then why were the regions instructed to use one all year? If people were getting "fucked up" last year then why didn't we see any yellow cards or red cards being issued?

2) Ease of course changes: The speed event is the only event scheduled for Friday.

It would be nice if Jim just told us why he eliminated speed carve instead of sitting back and watching everyone guess.

A couple years ago it was a different story, you had the PD Factory Team, Icarus Team, Team Xaos,

The PD Team are in Europe, they would have attended if the schedules allowed.

Icarus is no more.

Team Chaos, in various forms, has been at both the meets I attended. TJ, Jeffo, Luke Aikens.

While your comment is pretty much a slap in the face of anyone who's worked their way up and onto the tour in the last few years I'll mention that the names are changing, but there are still 'big boys' attending and there are some pretty damned good pilots on the scene right now.

Whatever your feelings about Jim, the CPC, the PST, or any other issue, I ask that you think carefully about the people you're insulting. A lot of them have worked really hard to get where they are.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Whoa, simmer down Stuart! No need to get your panties in a bunch. While I realize through reading these forums that getting your CPC pro card has become a wet dream come true, there is no need for the tension. These are just my opinions. Good luck at the championships.

P.S. Don't forget to save your pennies, I hear the new JVX 8.2 will be out in November just in time for Christmas. Hope you have been a good boy!

Lot's of really shitty attitudes showing up today. If you don't like the CPC/PST then fine, you're entitled to your opinions (what's that saying, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one). Some of us still believe in the CPC and the PST and we know that the CPC and PST have helped progress us further as swoopers than we'd ever progress if all we did was swoop the beer line at our local DZs.

Are the best pilots competing on the PST this season? No ... for a variety of reasons. But unless some of you were actually at the three PST events this season, how the #### do you know what was going on and what kind of vibe was there and how well or how poorly some people flew. I can tell you as an amateur allowed to compete on the PST this season, it's been a great learning experience and I've seen that in the big picture I've cut the gap between my flying and how the best in the world fly. But at the same time, I know I'm no where near as good as some of these guys and gals are and there is tons and tons of work to do before the gap can be cut further. So if you're criticizing Jim for letting guys like myself compete, who cares what you think, I'm there to learn and will only get better (in time) as I enter more and more swoop comps. Oh and I may lose my PST status for next season if I don't do well at the CPC Championships. But you know what? That's okay, if I'm not good enough to be on the PST, then I'm not good enough.

Oh and yes Jim does do a lot of marketing towards his canopies, but until you've jumped one of these new canopies, how the #### do you know how good or how bad they are. I will tell you that my JVX hasn't been an easy canopy to excel on, but it is still a very fun canopy to fly and I just need more time under it before I can even remotely say I know all there is to know about it.

Slam the CPC/PST if you need to. Some of us don't care. Some of us know that while we still have a long way to go, we are better swoopers now than what we were before the CPC existed.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Just look at what a joke the PST has become... Notice you don't see any of the big boys competing this year...

you dont have the slightest clue what your talking about...

have you seen the score sheets?

how many PST events has there been this year so far? do you even know that?

i am nobody. i want to swoop with the best of them. if you got pointers i will listen. Jim it is your game. the people winning can fly straight carves or any other god damned course you think up. who ever thought you could land a full line twist? Jeffro if you read this high five a case of beer and feedback. http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=3953&string=jeffro

but i got to say i am with canuckInUSA: more jumping less bitching.

it is only $0.02. a thousand of these will get you a jump ticket.

If you set it up with a second camera on the other side of the course like the following (i took your diagram and modified it), you can take the average of the two times and this average value will correct for the swooper not entering the course dead center, thus addressing raymod2's concerns about people gaming the system by hugging the side of the swoop lane nearest to the camera.

x (camera 2)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
-------------------------------------->
o . . . . . . . . . "o" = dummy gate strictly for setup

x (camera 1)

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

Why dont you just keep your head in your ass and leave the discussion for the adults.

The course change has to do with the length of time it takes to set up a carve course Vs a straight course. simple.

More details on this topic should be discussed on the forums at [/url]http://www.canopypiloting.com[url]

If that site got more than 100 hits a day people might just do that, but there is no reason whatsoever why they shouldn't be doing it right here. This is by far the most read canopy forum on the internet.