Sonicfreefly

Icarus NEOS

I did 6 jumps on my Neos 119 (2.4) this weekend, and I'm still trying to make my mind up.

A bit of background on me: I've done 60 jumps on a Velo-120 (2.4) and 120 on VX-114s (2.5). Before that, I had done 500 jumps on Crossfire2s (1.7-2.0). I like the faster openings, flatter trim, and more positive recovery arc of the VX.

I thought the Neos looked pretty funky in the air, with the partial centre arc / cross bracing, and the inflated stabilisers, and I really loved the whip I could get on my turn initiation, but I really didn't like the Velo-like recovery. It seems to sink in on recovery, rather than the more positive recovery of the VX. It certainly seems to descend faster in all toggle modes than my VX, and has lighter front riser pressure. Theorizing, I think a lot of the difference will be down to the lower rigidity of the wing, with less cross-bracing, along with a steeper trim than on the Crossfire2 or VX.

I think that pilots who like the way the Velocity flies will love this canopy, but, for me, I prefer the VX. If I had to characterise the Neos in terms of other canopies, I'd put it between the VX and a Velocity.

I'm gonna do more jumps on the Neos over the next couple of weeks, to give me more of a chance to get used to it, but if I still don't like it, I can always take advantage of Icarus' 30 day money back guarantee, and get myself another VX instead B|
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

regardless the 30 day money back gaurentee still works if you buy from a dealer...

or in my case I just asked for a replacement canopy

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

regardless the 30 day money back gaurentee still works if you buy from a dealer...

Dave

yes, but that is on icarus canopies. is this canopy really an icarus canopy?

Dave

yes, but that is on icarus canopies. is this canopy really an icarus canopy?

see here, to tell you the truth, im still not sure.:D

http://canopypiloting.tempwebpage.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=4942;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

hmmmm this sounds like the beginning of a political debate about who owns Icarus now...

If you read the messages from jim in the link you would have read that nz aerosports is the true owner of icarus and has licenced the name out to two other companies.

dadalus is the father of icarus in myth and the companys are aptly named.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

gyro, from nz aerosports is the forfather if icarus canopies, and has licenced out the right to make them to a US company and a spanish company (cisma or something like that).

the spaninsh company developed the crossfire 2 the omni i think the saffire 2 the neos and of course the icarus reserve!
nz arosports developed dadalus project!

so jvx, glx and gls NZ aerosports. dadalus NOT ICARUS.
neos, cisma NOT ICARUS. Icarus is licenced out by Gyro and he doesn´t know much about neos at all.

Gyro is in my daligation here at the world meet so i will ask him to finalise but as far as i know this is how it is!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

the spaninsh company developed the crossfire 2 the omni i think the saffire 2 the neos and of course the icarus reserve!

neos, cisma NOT ICARUS. Icarus is licenced out by Gyro and he doesn´t know much about neos at all.

By that logic, the Crossfire2, Omni, Safire2 and reserve canopies aren't Icarus canopies either! Not quite sure it's as simple as that...

From what I can tell, the Neos is the first of the above canopies designed by CIMSA that has yet to be adopted by the other Icarus partners...I'll see if I can get a take on this from Hector at CIMSA/Icarus...
---
Swoopert, CS-Aiiiiiii!
Piccies

oh the politics of it all...

how about we all do this, lets jump canopies that we like to jump try things and see if we like em...

peoples infighting across like 3 oceans really doesnt concern me

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

By that logic, the Crossfire2, Omni, Safire2 and reserve canopies aren't Icarus canopies either! Not quite sure it's as simple as that...

Wait, so Ox and the Velda aren't Icarus canopies either?

-M

If you're gonna' be stupid, well, then you're most likely stupid.

I'd like to see the logo ICARUS NEOS on the side panel. not just a icarus canopies logo on the botom skin, of course CISMA are going advertise icarus in general.