The111

Pulling slider down

Since I'm experimenting with very basic HP landings now, I finally started bringing my slider down behind my neck, and opening up my chest strap a bit.

Is there any real risk while pulling the slider down past the stowed breaks of accidentally unstowing one of them? To me it seems possible, but not a huge deal, and I just pay close attention to what I'm doing as I pull it down.

Any thoughts on this?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

yeah...there's a risk. i've never had it happen though. i pull my rear grommets down with my index and middle fingers while putting positive pressure on my stowed toggles with my thumbs. does that make sense?
"Don't talk to me like that assface...I don't work for you yet." - Fletch
NBFT, Deseoso Rodriguez RB#1329

Is there any real risk while pulling the slider down past the stowed breaks of accidentally unstowing one of them? To me it seems possible, but not a huge deal, and I just pay close attention to what I'm doing as I pull it down.

Yup.

Any thoughts on this?

Don't unstow the brake while pulling the slider down.

Ok, seriously, yes there is a risk, it'll be just like any brake fire, if you fire a brake while pulling your slider down, simply fix the turn with some riser and/or release the other brake. Then work your slider down.

The big thing is to remember altitude awareness, AND keep your airspace clear. Entanglements just won't do.

This is another reason why I'm getting a RDS for my next canopy. Jumping with just a partial RDS on most jumps, no more messing with the slider, just BAM and its off and stuffed down my shirt.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Yup.

Any thoughts on this?

Don't unstow the brake while pulling the slider down.

Ok, seriously, yes there is a risk, it'll be just like any brake fire, if you fire a brake while pulling your slider down, simply fix the turn with some riser and/or release the other brake. Then work your slider down.

The big thing is to remember altitude awareness, AND keep your airspace clear. Entanglements just won't do.

This is another reason why I'm getting a RDS for my next canopy. Jumping with just a partial RDS on most jumps, no more messing with the slider, just BAM and its off and stuffed down my shirt.

heck yea. After I jumped Hans' RDS system and then repacked it... OH hells yea. I'll be giving Joe a call after my new toy arrives.

Ive had a brake fire from me pulling the slider down, BUT that was with my old risers (triples). Since I changed to different risers (and a different brake line setting), No problems.
Although, I am still careful when pulling the slider down, its always a possibility.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

heres a funny story, not exactly related but kind of. while "steering my cha-hos" on opening last weekend i popped one of my breakes out. my buddy and i were doing a 10k hop and pop to play around a bit. we both have rds and as i was spinning out of the sky i kept it relativly slow with opposite leg. it was more of a spiral then. well i was still going down past him and didnt want to take the rds off and stow it while spinning down so i reached up and played with the toggle and reset the break. was pretty funny. i guess i wouldnt try this from 3k though.

Its no big deal, for fun, I popped a toggle on my new canopy (eliptical and loaded) to see what kind of dive Id get it was fast, but nothing uncontrollable, just pop the other break and finish getting the slider down.... Sometimes if Im downwind on a long spot, Ill pop the breaks as soon as I open and then work the slider over.... just keep aware of other traffic

3 Months ago i unstowed the left brake this way (with a borrowed Nitro-108) resulting in a right spin. At first i couldn´t get that brake where it belongs :S so i had the option to cut away or to land the canopy with rear risers...

Solved it at about 1200 ft. and landed safely (near trees :P)

Blues,
Friedrich

3 Months ago i unstowed the left brake this way (with a borrowed Nitro-108) resulting in a right spin. At first i couldn´t get that brake where it belongs :S so i had the option to cut away or to land the canopy with rear risers...

Solved it at about 1200 ft. and landed safely (near trees :P)

Blues,
Friedrich

your kidding me. why would you cut away after unstowing a toggle? just unstow the other one.:S

this is why 300 jump wonders shouldnt be jumping that size canopy.:|

" just unstow the other one"

Lol, this is exactly what i did...

No, you misunderstood me - i pulled the left toggle through the Slider Grommet. The other toggle was still "above" the slider. The Load was a little bit off the spot, so i didin´t made it back to the dropzone...

"this is why 300 jump wonders shouldnt be jumping that size canopy."

Yeah, you´re right, i know i know - i am suicidal...
:S *fg*

"this is why 300 jump wonders shouldnt be jumping that size canopy."

Yeah, you´re right, i know i know - i am suicidal...
:S *fg*

I can't believe another jumper, a friend at that, would let you jump his nitro 108. With friends like that who needs enemies. I don't know if your suicidal or just stupid but you demonstrated the point that you do not have the experience necessary to pilot such a wing. Little things like a brake releasing prior to getting the slider stowed should not be a big deal and certainly would warrant even the thought of cutting away.

"Little things like a brake releasing prior to getting the slider stowed should not be a big deal "

Yes - and normaly its not a big deal. I´m doing this since jump 150 or so...but you know..shit happens.

Thread closed for me now !

Blues
Friedrich

:)

Be suicidal in someone elses sport dude. People like you getting killed effect us all.

Has anyone else noticed that often times when a lower time jumper is pushing the limits of WL or planform, and they openly share that info, that they're from Europe? More often eastern europe?

I don't know if it's just that those guys are more willing to admit it, maybe they don't know the backlash it will create, or if it's just more accepted in those countries.

If it's the latter, it's surprising because some of the EU countries are the ones where thay have a WL chart in place, and all the jumpers are required to abide by it's limitations. It would seem weird that it's so conservative in one country, and then in a nearby country (lets face it, all european countries are nearby each other) it's pretty much open season.

No offence meant to any europeans, of course.

Has anyone else noticed that often times when a lower time jumper is pushing the limits of WL or planform, and they openly share that info, that they're from Europe? More often eastern europe?

yup, have noticed that.

Dunno about that... but there's a fair few N. Americans that fall into the same category. You guys experience the same canopy incidents through lack of experience/advanced canopy combinations - possibly even more so.

It would seem weird that it's so conservative in one country, and then in a nearby country (lets face it, all european countries are nearby each other) it's pretty much open season.

Chicago, or The Ranch may be a long way from the Florida DZs in terms of distance but culturally they're not too dissimilar - and you have a common governing body. The cultural differences between European countries is nothing short of stark. I can drive at any speed I like on (an ever reducing proportion of) the German Autobahn, but if I was caught over 100mph in the UK, I would be considered "crazy" and "dangerous" regardless of road conditions. Similarly, the UK governing body (BPA) is very prescriptive - now requiring a "qualification" before unsupervised swooping is permitted (and at my home DZ, this must also be gained before a certain W/L can be jumped) - whereas in Germany no such rules exist. That's not to say that skydivers in Germany have more accidents, and I'm not sure of the statistics either.

What you will find is that how prescriptive/tolerence to rules the national governing bodies have varies. In Germany for example you are much more free to do what you like than the UK - but if you muck up, they'll be down on you. In the UK, you can find ways around the rules, and CCIs seem less able/willing to do much about it.

No offence meant to any europeans, of course

I'll try not to take any. ;)

Back to the main topic...
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

If it's the latter, it's surprising because some of the EU countries are the ones where thay have a WL chart in place, and all the jumpers are required to abide by it's limitations. It would seem weird that it's so conservative in one country, and then in a nearby country (lets face it, all european countries are nearby each other) it's pretty much open season.

Are speed limits same in every US states?

Are speed limits same in every US states?

For the most part, yes. Simply due to the regulation of the national highway system by the federal government and the controling of the money given to the states to build and maintain roads by the federal government.

(Sorry to nix your analogy).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

For the most part, yes. Simply due to the regulation of the national highway system by the federal government and the controling of the money given to the states to build and maintain roads by the federal government.

(Sorry to nix your analogy).

Yeah, just like skydiving regulations all around Europe, ;)

I think every EXPERIENCED canopy pilot should should do a hight alt. hop & pop and release only one brake. First check your altitude when you begin. Then see how the canopy responds and try to counter the effect with opposite toggle and/or rear riser. Possibly take a couple wraps on the released brake and regain controlled forward flight. If you are able to regain controlled forward flight, check your altitude again. This will help to bring awareness to how quickly you can lose altitude from what seems like a minor problem.

If you regain forward flight dont forget to perform a controllability check.

Obviously results will differ on different canopies. So I ask the question, who has practiced this scenario on your current canopy and what was the results?

For me, I am able to regain forward flight, however, flying a high loaded x-braced canopy there is no doubt that I would chop and land my reserve if was unable to release one of my toggles.

Deano

I think every EXPERIENCED canopy pilot should should do a hight alt. hop & pop and release only one brake. First check your altitude when you begin. Then see how the canopy responds and try to counter the effect with opposite toggle and/or rear riser. Possibly take a couple wraps on the released brake and regain controlled forward flight. If you are able to regain controlled forward flight, check your altitude again. This will help to bring awareness to how quickly you can lose altitude from what seems like a minor problem.

If you regain forward flight dont forget to perform a controllability check.

Obviously results will differ on different canopies. So I ask the question, who has practiced this scenario on your current canopy and what was the results?

For me, I am able to regain forward flight, however, flying a high loaded x-braced canopy there is no doubt that I would chop and land my reserve if was unable to release one of my toggles.

Deano

I can't imagine a situation that from 2k or 3k feet that I couldn't get a toggle released even if the slider was above the toggle on one side and below on the other. I only have about 30 or so x-braced jumps (VX-74) but I still can't imagine not being able to release a toggle. Chopping a good canopy because you can't get a toggle released? I guess if you have to do it, you have to do it but if this actually played itself out and you had a cut away because of failure to release a toggle you should seriously reconsider jumping the canopy that your jumping whether it is a X-brace or even a semi-eliptical canopy.

Please don't misunderstand me to mean a toggle popping loose on opening and spinning up and not being able to release the other, that is a different situation I'm talking about knocking one off when pulling the slider down which is the context of this post.

I did just that on one of my first jumps on a 90 Velo @ 2.1 lb/sq ft and found it required a lot of riser input to regain level flight - whereas I could achieve level flight with surprisingly little harness input.

So I flew it around for a while with one brake unstowed and correcting with the harness- it was fun and quite easy.