JumpCrazy

Sabre 1 vs. Silhouette

I fly a Silhoutte and absolutely love it. It really does handle nice considering the size (i jump a 230). The openings always feel good ( dont have to worry about the infamous "Saber snap" as much) . The rig I jump is owned by my school skydiving club, but I plan on purchasing my own Silhoutte. I also like the fact that it is half ZP and half F-111. The only thing that I dont like about it is that it is hard to spell ;).

------------------------------------------------------

Remember kids, eagles may soar, but at least weasels dont get sucked into jet engines.

The Sil is a tapered or semi-eliptical, so it will turn faster. It is a hybrid canopy so it will pack pretty easy compared to an all Z-P canopy.
I still have a Sil 135, with no rig to put it into and when I flew it I loved it. Compared to the Sabre it is all around better. The openings are brisk, but I never got slammed by it, like the Sabre1 is rumored to occasionally do.
Neither is considere high performance, so the riser pressure is going to be a little heavy. Sabre a touch more so. Flare on both is good. Glide ratio is better on the Sil.
Just my opinion.

JJ
JJ

"Call me Darth Balls"

Thanks alot for the replies.
I'm definately leaning toward the Silhouette.

The one thing you didn't think about is resale value. Very few people are buying Silhouette, either new or used. When it comes time to part with it, I think you'll have a hard time selling it.

Walking around the dropzones I frequent, you just don't see any of them.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've jumped both. Like others have said, the Sihouette turns a bit quicker and is a bit easier to pack. Both are fun to fly and relatively easy to get good landings out of at light wingloadings. Wouldn't recommend loading a Sihouette much over 1.1 (check out PD's recommended weight chart on their website).

Amen to that Lisa :)JumpCrazy, the best advice I have for you is to try both and then go with the one YOU like better - in terms of the way it opens/flies/lands.
We can only give you our opinions, but the main thing is to make sure that you will be happy with your new canopy!

Best of luck in making up your mind..... :S

Blue ones!
Kolla

Blue Skies Magazine

I disagree strongly.

I just sold my Sabre2 135 and bought a Sabre 135 (pocket slider). It's better in every possible way.

At some point I'll need a new canopy and I really hope that PD will be down to make me a new Sabre 135 with a pocketed slider. I love it so, so much.
Apex BASE

Andy9o8

(Sabre1) has, by this point in time, almost (not quite) passed into obsolescence.

It's funny how they're either used by newbies who can afford only the oldest, cheapest junk short of F-111 ... or by wingsuit jumpers, among whom I've heard a rave -- with perhaps a little exaggeration -- about how it is the best wingsuit canopy ever.

(Glad I kept my old Sabre 1 135! With a pocket.)

Hey I used to jump a Sabre1 for a while myself when I got recurrent about 10 years ago, so I have nothing against them. They're fine, for an older design that isn't mfg new anymore. But I find it's pretty rare to see them anymore. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

I've had a Sabre1 190 myself and loved it, compared to Silhouete 190 and 210, wich I jumped before.

I prefered the Flare much more on the Sabre1 than on the Silhouete. I had a lot of trouble flaring both the Silhouete 210/190 comparing to the Pulse 210/190 and Sabre1 I flew back then.

And it had a very carachteristic opening, it would always be hard and quick, no matter how it was packed.

All in all, it was a canopy I loved and recommend most people as a first canopy, if they want a cheap price!

Agree with this comment.

No self respecting canopy pilot will say that they love sabre 1.

I jumped it 25 times. I felt like it was just a life saving device nothing more.

Fun to pull low tho, I was thinking that if I pull lower it will open softer, since I was jumping at 1000 ft elevation dz. So if I pull 1000 ft lower than my normal opening altitude it will soften it up somehow, kinda worked.

It probably is the best wingsuiting canopy. Opens quick, on heading, so cheap that even if you chop, you only give a shit about riser, d-bag, and pilot chute, not the canopy itself.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Andy9o8

But I find it's pretty rare to see them anymore. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Look at a flock of wingsuiters when they land. You will find a whole bunch of Sabres. I currently own 3. Have somewhere near 1000 jumps on a Sabre from 190 down to 135.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity