skydiveaddict

looking for a swoop altimeter/warning device

Hi, I'm not a swooper but I have a friend who is and his birthday is coming up. He mentioned that he wanted to get a Larsen and Brusgaard warning device for his landings. I couldn't get any info out of him as to the exact name of it (I think he figured out I would buy it for him and doesn't want me to spend the money so he clammed up when I asked more questions). Anyway......anybody have any idea what he is talking about? I checked their website and there are two things that look like possibilities. He already has a ProTrack so he doesn't seem to need anything that records. Any help would be appreciated!

Sometimes you men are harder to buy for than women!!! I checked out the L&B website and the Optima and the Viso are the two options I think. The Optima also records jump info (which his protrack already does) and the Viso doesn't. Personally I have a protrack and a skytronic and use both, especially when freeflying and like comparing the info they record.........but I'm not sure if that's what he wants it for. I may just buy a $200 gift certificate and let him pick himself.......that way if he changes his mind altogether and goes with a Neptune it will pay for most of it. UGGHHH!! Buying presents shouldn't be this hard! But thanks for all your help guys!

The Optima also records jump info (which his protrack already does) and the Viso doesn't.

The Optima doesn't record and log jump info. It is a great tool with 4 different freefall warning memory banks and 3 adjustable warning alarms in each bank. Plus the canopy flight mode.

The features as on The L&B site...

"OPTIMA™ FEATURES:
» Thin, ergonomic, comfortable curved design.
» LCD for easy- and intuitive operation.
» 3 selectable warning altitudes.
» 1st and 2nd warnings: Different pulsating tones.
» 3rd warning: High pitched siren.
» Choice of 1, 2 or 3 warnings.
» Four memory banks for custom warning settings.
» Low Speed Warning Bank featuring unique sequence
of beeps to assist entering optimum swoop corridor
» Seven step warning pitch selection
» Easy and quick to set on the ground or in the aircraft,
and if the DZ elevation differs from that of the airport
» Feet/Meter selection
» Altitude selection interval: 10 Ft.
» VISUAL Connection for flashing LED
» Displays present altitude during climb
» Built-in clock
» On/off mode
» Built-in mounting holes; fits any helmet, inside or outside
» Long lasting, easy to find batteries

I can assure you, this is the toy you want to buy your friend!!

Blue skies ;)

"swooper 24/7, 365!"
ME on Myspace
My Project playlist

the Viso will be another couple of months.

Tell me about it....... i wanted a Viso in January and was told it was going to be a couple of months, so i bought a Suunto alti watch instead!!

The watch is a bit more usable as i think i would look a bit weird wearing a Viso to the pub B|.

"swooper 24/7, 365!"
ME on Myspace
My Project playlist

I'm sure it will be worth waiting for. So far all of the new products they have released are supurb.

I'm pretty excited about the Viso though. I can't wait.

The AltiTrack is shipping this week!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I just want to thank everyone for all their input.....I found out from some spies at my dz that it is the Viso that he wants. He definitely wants something on his wrist and the Optima is meant to be in the helmet. Apparently the only reason he doesn't want the Neptune is that he doesn't wan't anything to record info. He has a Protrack for that already. L & B assure me that they are shipping the Viso out this week and shops should be ready to ship them to customers in a week or two. I'm not a swooper, but after reading about them, now I want one too! maybe I'm just a shopaholic ....:P