WeakMindedFool

Fun with my Katana!!!

Slammer...no Fucking Slammer opening, high speed spinning, and spinning under the lines, dumped on my back with RSL...........no problem. Ok so the reserve spun up but hey, it's a 7 cell square 143. Skybytch says to me after I land, "I'd rather land under line twists then at line stretch!" Bill Booth, you are absolutely right, faster is better! I'll be sending in my order for one of your rigs this week...with a skyhook.
Peace all!
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

The clue to me that it was a tension knot is the stabilizer pulled into the control line cascade.

I wonder if there were any burns on the side/top-skin?

I could be wrong......I often am.........:S

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Here's the Tension Knot Line Over debate... Put em up!!!

;)

Look a the tail, then the nose, Both are bent in quite a lot.. If you look at the purple, you can see what appears to be a line.

If you count the cells right to left, (The Arabic method) part of number 8 cell and all of number 9 is folded under.

Tension knots almost always include the slider unless they are only wrapped around the upper slider stop (poker chip)

That thing is really distorted so I'll bet it's really a line over.

I've seen lineovers that didn't cause any noticeable damage and one that slice holes in the canopy. I'm curious about that as well.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Its all good B|

Exchange of ideas is health!!

You have brought up a point I just now think I see, is the poker chip for that B line in the mix with the cascade tension knot??

Also, I was wondering where on the tail the control lines would attach, is there one at the inner white/purple section?

The bottom line (no pun intended) is he cut-away and lived to jump another day!!!!

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I think it was a tension knot, not a line over.

Anyone else?!?!?!

Looks like a lineover.

All the fun things happen to everone else. B|

I would have to go with line over on that one, but tension knots are just as fun.

Bill Booth, you are absolutely right, faster is better! I'll be sending in my order for one of your rigs this week...with a skyhook.

OK, Line over or tension Knot, I am not sure buy the pic but my first thought was Line over.

Separate from that I thought the quoted part of your post above was an interesting statment to be made. Faster to the reserve is a great thing and the SkyHook is really a cool innovation but you noted the RSL worked fine so did someting scare you? How low were you when you pulled the main??
How long did you futz around with it??
Approx altitudes when you chopped and had a flying reserve (even with Line Twists)??

I mean stuff happens at times jumping and depending on the altitude your at when you chop obviously you either have time or you dont. I think you get my questions reasons as they relate to the Skyhook statment you made.

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Not getting in to the whole tension knot/line over thing because I don’t know what the fuck I would be talking about.

But very curios as to what altitude did you cutaway it looks mad low.

Glad you are ok dude
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

But very curios as to what altitude did you cutaway it looks mad low.

Look where the runway is in the snapshot...its extremely far away. Which means that he is still at a high enough altitude to make it back or he had a super horrible spot. In my opinion, it doesn't look all that low to me. Besides, there is no way to tell distances and altitudes from this because its most likely got a wide angle lens on the camera which makes things look farther away.

*Note: Perhaps the folks at the DZ don't land on the airport so I could have been wrong about the distance from the airport. Besides, that may not even be an airport. Who knows. But it doesnt look all that low to me.

Cheers,
Travis

most likely got a wide angle lens on the camera which makes things look farther away

Agreed. I'm sure he's lower than he'd like to be, but he's likely high enough (shit he survived right?). Wide angle lens are made for close up shots and shouldn't be used as the first judge of how high or how low someone was.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Answers to all:
Katana 120 loaded @ 1.88
Break off @ 5k 4 way FF
Dump alarm @ 4k and I ran it out to increase separation...We are far off cause 18 Knot winds but it is a .3 lens. Slammer opening that stood me up immediately and started to spin, chopped at flatline set @ 2k. As for faster being better. The anecdotal wisdom with a high speed spinner is to chop, get stable, and the deploy reserve. People seem to fear spinning up their 7 cell square reserve. Everyone who has actually done testing on it says the faster you have reserve deployment the less rotation you have, therefore less chance of spinning it up, and significantly less chance of hitting the ground at linestretch...which would suck bad. Believe me, body position was foremost in my mind when I chopped as I was spinning in 2 axis and on release was on my back. the reserve did get several line twists but unlike my main it was flying level. I saw the line over and I also saw ground sky ground sky ground sky flatline, fuckit...hope these assholes know what they are talking about....as it turns out they did. Some of our brethren spent the rest of there lives trying to get stable this year. I have no reason to think I'm better then they were, the only difference was that in this case there was no hesitation in reserve deployment. Yes I removed myself from the decision loop by using an RSL but this is a choice I can and get to live with;).

As for the pack job. When I was getting air out of the canopy it shifted to the side slightly, so I pushed it back cause what are the chances that there will be a problem and hell, there's skydiving to do. I wouldn't want to take that extra 90 seconds to pick it back up and make sure (note to self....MAKE SURE IDIOT) $60 and a bottle of jack, cheap lesson.
Faith in a holy cause is to a considerable extent a substitute for lost faith in ourselves.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

***SkyHook is really a cool innovation but you noted the RSL worked fine so did someting scare you?
Well, as I understand it the whole idea, for this situation is that the faster you get your reserve out (obviously clear of the main) the less
rotation you have in the horizontal axis. According to RWS the MOST rotation the were able to get with the skyhook was 15 degrees.
Now from cut away to reserve inflation was fast...I mean really fast. Like 1.5 seconds on the video with very little altitude loss. I'm not
questioning the the performance of my RSL but if I can have it even faster, I'm in.
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

LOL, damn that's almost the same thing Meeker said. Of course that looser didn't even try to clear the bag lock he had last fall...for all he knew there was a perfectly good main it that bag;)
-Eric Hoffer -
Check out these Videos

I've been jumping my Katana 107 at 1.8 for about an year now and haven't had any problems. I was demoing one for a few months before that and the openings were a little anxiety provoking on the 120 but the 107 was fine. I had one cutaway on the 120 due to line twists that spun up.
video here (lost the helmet on that one- reserve riser strike. on the video there's a jet taking off after I cut- pretty cool)
http://www.docmed.ucla.edu/emres/V/Eject.wmv
Nothing on the 107 with careful packing. Smooth, on heading and predictable. I've had more problems with nut under malfunctions than line overs...

The DZ in the picture is Skydance in Davis, CA. The landing area is next to the airport, which in the picture is slightly out of frame to the left near the close end of the runway. He was upwind of the LZ when this happened. I'm not sure if he landed in after the cutaway or not.

Jason, have a good 1,000th :)