CanopyPiloting

New rules for new season

Some of the new rules for the 2006 season are posted on the homepage at www.canopypiloting.com Currently posted is the PST Pro/Am training camp dates, CPC Non X Braced competition dcetails, new CPC rules, new scoring system, 2006 CPC Championships info and more!

The 2006 PST schedule is due out next week if not sooner.

You're lucky. You get natural added wingloading that someone like me at 170 can't get. You have the advantage, so don't complain.

Ha ... plus he doesn't have to run 5 footers and have his score handicapped against certain people running 10s who have competed at a higher level than you in the past. I'm sure you'd say the same thing applies to me, except that it's not looking all that good that I will be able to compete in very many CPC swoop competitions this season if I compete in any at all. I don't blame anyone but myself, but it looks like I choose the wrong ####### place to live after having to leave CO and I really don't know if it's very smart financially for myself to be forking out $1000-$1500 for each weekend of swoop comps for airfare, car rentals, accommodations, competition entry fees, jumps and food (not to mention lost wages for time missed at work during those inevitable travel days). I don't make nearly as much $$$ as I did in the states and I pay about double for everything else. Whoever said this new region I now live in is the best place in the world obviously hasn't done very much living elsewhere. Sure the scenery is nice (when it's not ####### raining which is virtually every day for a good chunk of the year). But I can only blame myself for thinking that BC would be better than AB. I'm seriously considering moving back home if my current renters don't renew this summer. That will cost me another $3000+ in moving expenses. But at least I'd be able to take up some cool and crazy sports such as ski jumping and skeleton.

Well competitive swooping was fun while it lasted, but it sucks to be me. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

hey steve,

the NWCPC schedule should be out pretty soon (just waiting on PST schedule and some DZO's to get back to me) but there will be some comps fairly close to you. like rob said, 3-5 hours drive. so no worries, if you still want to compete you will be able to w/o spending 1000-1500 bucks.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

dude, the furthest drive is 7 hours and most will be 3-5 max.

Yeah he should try the Florida league. All the GA/TN and AL people need to drive at LEAST 6.5 hrs for every meet except one.

Steve, quit your bitching and go compete. :P

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

the NWCPC schedule should be out pretty soon

Hey I'm just wallowing (is that even a word?) in my own self pitty as I realize life isn't as easy as it used to be. But I would like to know about the NWCPC's schedule once it's ready and I need to get in touch with the new Alberta CPC co-ordinator in case I'm up for travelling through the Rockies later this summer. I'm sure the NW is closer than Alberta, it's just that I have some ties to that province what with the fact that still owning a home there and have friends and family there. ;)

***You're lucky. You get natural added wingloading that someone like me at 170 can't get. You have the advantage, so don't complain.

Actually, with a body weight of 170 and a rig weight of say 20 pounds, that puts you at an exit weight of 190 allowing you to wear up to 21 extra pounds of weight. This means that you have the ability to make adjustments to your wing loading.
The heavy guys can't do that and I don't know about you, but I would rather be a little lighter for a light downwind zone acc jump....?

My point was that the heavier guys could have more total weight under their canopies. Even though the lighter guys can wear more weight, the heavier you are naturally, the heavier you can possibly be under the same wing.

If you want to go slower, just upsize a canopy.

Of course I could get a smaller canopy to go faster, but not necessarily farther.

I usually wear 25 lbs in competition. Now I can only wear 21. That's not a huge difference, so I'm not really complaining.
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Actually I'm okay with the 5 footers (I think). The scenario Dave has spoken about in the past had to do with competing with a handicap against guys who have competed at a higher level than us in the past (guys like Justin T). But since I'm no longer a CO regular, I need not worry about Justin (at least not in normal regional CPC comps).

If/when I do compete this season (likely in your region), I tell myself not to worry about the other pilots and only worry about myself. I know Tom and Bryan will be just as good if not better than myself and those are the guys from the NW that I met last season. I'm sure there are others who are just as good as those two.

Actually I should let Dave explain his position on the issue. I do see his point since Dave, Grant and Jason R will all be handicapped against guys like Justin if the current top 15 rules apply to this season. I'm up for the challenge during the regular CPC regional meets. But I'm not so sure it would be fair to be handicapped during the CPC Championships. But that is a long way off from now.

i highly doubt that this season's rules apply to last season's results. if they are then where's my damn pro card bitches!:P

ya really!!!

steve,
I think you will be grandfathered in considering you competed under last years rules....

i highly doubt that this season's rules apply to last season's results. if they are then where's my damn pro card bitches!:P

Well I certainly want you to get it (whether you earn it, or it's given to you). Mainly to get you out of the picture in August ... but also because you deserve it. You flew very well last September. ;)

I am hoping that the top 15 will apply to the Pro/Am events though. As long as I'm current and won't embarrass myself (and piss off my potential pro teammate), I'd love to do at least one if not more of those Pro/Am events. I'm keeping my eye on the mid July Pro/Am in CO despite my earlier rant about spending $$$ on traveling. The August event is too close to the CPC Championships to know if I could attend that one. But July would be the bomb.

One thing to keep in mind for the organizers of these events. July and August is still thundershower season in Colorado where the daily forecast is ... clear in the morning with afternoon thundershowers. Then it all blows through and you usually get a spectacular sunset load. This pattern is repeated on almost a daily basis there that time of year (just like the ####### daily rain in the pacific northwest this time of year). :S

I don't really care about the regional competitions, because they really don't matter. You only have to compete in 3 to go to the championships. It doesn't matter the outcome of those.

But at the finals, I'm still waiting to hear whether the 4th - 15th finishers from last year will be made to run 5 footers. If it means I'm able to run the pro/ams this year to get my Pro card I'm for it.

Are there going to be any Pro/am's this year. Is there a PST schedule yet?
David

"Socrates wasn't killed because he had the answer.......he was killed because he asked the question."

Why are you so hell bent on getting your pro card? What is it going to do for you?

surround your self with the best and you will become better. that is what it will do for swoopers.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

I don't know... It just seems like another badge or liscense to me. I'm sure it would be cool to have, but I'm not going out and trying to get a pro card because it will make me a better person. Could I go out and complete the pro qualifier tomorrow? Probably (even a blind squirrel finds a nut). Am I particularly motivated to do so? Not really. Just like chuck said, I can compete with the big boys if I really wanted to.

Why are you so hell bent on getting your pro card? What is it going to do for you?

That is an excellant question. I have to admit that you made me think. Why do I want it?

It's a goal I've set for myself. Something to work for. It's been that one thing that I've really had to work hard for. Everything else just came easy.

It's a badge of honor, sure. I can compete along side the Pros in certain competitions now, but I'd like to compete in all of them.

But the real reason I'm so HELL BENT on getting it, is because EVERY YEAR THEY CHANGE THE RULES ON HOW TO GET IT!!!!!!!!!!
David