ianmdrennan

Thoughts on CPC 'eligibility'

look at the overall focus of the CPC. Is it to give out Pro cards? If that was the case don't you think that there would have been more than one given out last year

Thats a tough argumant to support when the only way to get a pro card is via the CPC.

It could be a feeder series for the PST. It could be an educational series for the good of swooping. It could be both, but if thats the goal, than some things are going to have to change.

As an aside, the more I think about it, the issues people are having with the CPC are valid, but to be fair to the CPC, we're only through year one. We haven't even had a chance to make changes, and see how they work.

If the issues are still present in year five, that would be a problem (if the CPC could even last five years in it's current form).

reading this it makes it look like the CPC has been around for 10 years and we have all been struggling to make the pro ranks for just as long.

let's put this back into perspective. the CPC was created only a single year ago. before that, you were good enough to compete in the one ghey regional competition that someone held at their dz some saturday morning. now because you win your area, and did well in one other competition you need to be handed your pro card or that's it? i know im kinda pointing at you marks, but im really talking to all the bitchers.

how about start to feel lucky that there is a competition circuit that you can easilt attend, part of something national, holds a championship you can attend, and may open up some opportunities for you that you otherwise would not have had. i for one feel that those are all a BIG deal because before this came along i would have had a much harder time of things.

stop bitching about the CPC, what a great tool to train and learn. i agree it could use tweaking but with the entire sport being so new, and us being the pioneers (more so guys like Jim S.) be part of the solution and participate. if it doesn't fit into your goals don't do it.

SuperStu was right on the money.

First, you are all and have always been a big part in the evolution of the sport of swooping particularly here in Florida with us. You guys know who you are.
So let's keep moving forward together.

Here is what we have done in the past and what I propose to do to move us forward.

Allow pros and amateurs to compete in regional comps with everyone eligible for prize money. I feel it is important for a number of reasons to have prize money available in the amateur comps for both classes. I think it benefits pro and amateur swoopers in this scenario. It attracts Pro competitors in hopes that our sport can somehow help to financially support more Pro Swoopers other than just coaching fees and gives amateurs a chance to compete with and learn from a pro in an actual competition environment. We all know that one competition jump is equal to about 20 practice jumps so a competition fee of $165 is well worth the price of the experience for an amateur swooper to swoop in an organized comp, especially if there is a pro present, without considering who is winning the money. The amateur gets his money's worth and both classes are getting more comp experience without having to travel too far. I think it's a win win. And with the sytem we have used, we have seen more than one amateur winning prize money.

We basically have two course set up simultaneosly for a competition. One has 5 ft gates and one has 10ft gates. It's sort of a handicap situation.
The 5' gates are 12' wide (pro) and the 10' gates are 24' wide.
So for distance There are 4 entry gates set up in line. The 10' gates on the outside (24' wide) with the 5' gates set up in between (12' wide).
The 10' gates have about a 30% advantage over the 5' gates. This means that if both competitors hit their perspective gates at the same speed and angle, the 10' gate would go say 300', the 5 gates would only go 210' It is a distinct advantage which should be considered when thinking about peoples distance performances. Was it a 5' gate or a 10' gate? With this Jay's 678' swoop on a 10 ft gate would have been about 881' Works the other way too. If his 678' ft swoop was on a 10' gate in would have only been around 475' on a 5' gate

The speed course actually has three differences. Gate height, width and length.
There is a 24' wide 185' long speed course set up with 10' gates for the amateur but there are also 5' entry and exit gates set up 15' before the 10'entry and 15' after the 10' exit creating a 215' pro course with 5' entry and exit gates. We have done this in the past and it has seemed to work well. It creates an even playing field challenging for both classes. And with the percentage scoring system it seems to be a very competitive handicap when scoring both classes against each other. Keep in mind there are vertical extensions for the 5 ft gates so the pro has to stay low through the course while not catching an endcell on the 10' gates. It is challenging, but not unsafe for a Pro swooper. Of course you know that guys flying the 10' gates stay high.

Zone accuracy has the same entry gates as the distance. Amateur has 10' high and 24'wide entry gates while the pro has 5' high and 12' wide gates to hit. All competitors must drag water for points and not get a vertical extension penalty on the first water gate to get a score. This has seemed to work well too. We have actually in the past not even included the vertical requirement for the first gate to get a score. This helps with less zeros and does not have people really driving at the first gate especially in high head wind conditions where the concern is getting the first gate then flying the rest of the 175'to the first zone to get any score.

So 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place overall regardless of class get paid but, the highest placing amateur gets 1st place points towards the overall league championship.

We will use this format again this year. It has been tried and proven, so unless Jim says otherwise we will use it again.

So now... this year maybe we should allow top 10 CPC competitors to compete again in the CPC if they want as registered CPC competitors competing for the overall regional and national titles and eligibility to go to Colorado, but they are required to hit 5' gates using this handicap system. Of course we also need to get some commitment from some guys to go Pro and attend the pro comps or it will just fade away.

and as for you Ian, since we are name calling and grandstanding. what have you done to help other newbie jumpers?

I'm going to go ahead and jump in here, just because Ian has, without a doubt, been the most helpful and instructive person at Skydive Atlanta for a long time with regard to swooping. He's given tons of his time to me and other jumpers, teaching the basics and advanced aspects of swooping. To imply that he is not helpful to newbies is absurd.

Brie

Ah, what the heck do YOU know?! Ian is a big meanie name caller who does nothing but grandstand and make himself unapproachable! We ALL know THAT!:D:D:S

Seriously... I absolutely concur with your view of Ian.

But you like ME better, right?;)

and as for you Ian, since we are name calling and grandstanding. what have you done to help other newbie jumpers?

How about spending a bitter cold Saturday in Dallas, WALKING the landing area with two younger swoopers helping us learn setups and approach. No cost, no ego, just genuine help. He got nothing out of it other than getting to eye my girlfriend.:D

Mark, personally, i don't think you are sandbagging by competing in the CPC. IF the new rules state that everyone who competes in at least three events is eligible for Colorado, then you would NOT be taking slots away from others. If you feel that you need another year to work on things before going pro, then do it. I would suggest you do it a little quieter than you are but few people listen to me anyway.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Why do you think I went on those jumps with you in PA?

Hey i'm no fool. Why do you think i keep her around?? I get to jump with all kinds of cool people because of her.:D:D:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Allow pros and amateurs to compete in regional comps with everyone elibible for prize money. I feel it is important for a number of reasons to have prize money available in the amateur comps for both classes.

yes, chris this is great. but the point of what im getting at, is im not going to these reginal comps for money, im going for the bigger picture, and now that is being taken away. i compete because I want to reach a goal, handicapped or not. I cant afford to do all the pst meets and reach a goal. so I want to go to the cpc and do it that way, one trip a year, and the rest local. it isnt about money to me, and i will prove that by donating all the prize money to a charity of your choice in your name as long as I can have a bigger picture and compete.

Ian, your so close minded that you think that im always thinking it is all about me. your egotistacal, self empowerment is rediculus. I have never come to you and said negative things that I hear, or tell you thinks about your personality that i dont like, there are pleanty. yet you consistantly talk around to other peeps, spread one sided roumours to make yourself look better.

and speak of the peeps that puonded in, you say "I drove them into the dirt" the farm is unsafe.. ya ya ive heard it all, get your head out of your ass and relize that these peeps would not listen to instructions from me or hans at the dz, therfore hans wouldnt let them jump that unsafe canopy. then they go to skydive atlanta and do jump it and get hurt, yet you spread roumors that the instuction at the farm is infirior, when it is your lack of attention to detail that is the culprit.

I canbt tell you how many times ive heard, "ohh that was a product of the farm." when you fail to see that it was on your side that was unsafe because of you letting jump the canopy they shouldnt be under...

ya, first time you heard that right? because I dont talk shit and spread rumours about you or your DZ.

sorry trey, you know i love ya!:)

The new rule is:
All registered CPC members who compete in at least 3 events in their region are eligible for Colorado.

Have you guys thought of this? Does the jumper need to make three competitions in a given "home" district or can it be three competitions no matter where they are just as long as they competed in three sanctioned CPC competitions. I ask this because until I hear otherwise that a new local CPC region is starting here in BC, I am forced to travel this summer to get my CPC fix (assuming I can afford to do this). If I knew that all I needed to do would be to get three CPC competitions in no matter where they were, then I would be travelling to different venues this season (once again assuming I can afford to do this) as I believe competiting in different districts can only help become a better well rounded swooper. And even though I told you that I wanted to make SkyQuest and never did make it, it is tempting to try and make the first FL comp in Lake Wales next month if I knew that spending all that money would be worth it.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Mark, personally, i don't think you are sandbagging by competing in the CPC. IF the new rules state that everyone who competes in at least three events is eligible for Colorado, then you would NOT be taking slots away from others. If you feel that you need another year to work on things before going pro, then do it. I would suggest you do it a little quieter than you are but few people listen to me anyway

point taken, and your 100% correct.

it is just that some peeps always want to take you down.

Im very passionate about this, because if they take away the chance for me to compete for and end result/ finals. then I have lost the reason that I want to compete.

some peeps want to compete to have others look up to them so they can teach them. I think teaching by example is just as good.. point being, I dont want to compete as a guest, I want to be able to have the drive and focus so if i fuck up i loose something, im not wanting money or for somone to put me on a pedastal. i want to compete and win. plain and simple. not comp by comp. but overall, you cant blame anyone for that, thats why there is compitition.

I cant acheive this in the pst for the sole reason that i cant afford to do but maybe one meet. because of all the traveling.

***Does the jumper need to make three competitions in a given "home" district or can it be three competitions no matter where they are just as long as they competed in three sanctioned CPC competitions.

This is a very iteresting thought. Now that it's not only the top 5 competitors from each district it could conceivably work. As long as you paid your registration fees in one district, and you competed in at least 3 CPC sanctioned events, regardless of district, you would be eligible for Colorado.
This of course would hurt peoples overall standings in their own districts for the Regional Champion, but would still qualify people for the National Event.

Hope to see ya in Lake Wales

I've gotta say that I don't like the idea of a set of 5 ft gates sitting in the middle of the nice wide 10 ft gates that I am shooting for. And I really don't suck that bad at swooping. I see this as a potential problem for brand new swoopers...seriously. The overall idea is good, but maybe not set up that exact way in this event. I probably should have replied to Shimmel on this. But hey, the opinion is out there.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

and speak of the peeps that puonded in, you say "I drove them into the dirt" the farm is unsafe.. ya ya ive heard it all, get your head out of your ass and relize that these peeps would not listen to instructions from me or hans at the dz, therfore hans wouldnt let them jump that unsafe canopy. then they go to skydive atlanta and do jump it and get hurt, yet you spread roumors that the instuction at the farm is infirior, when it is your lack of attention to detail that is the culprit.

I canbt tell you how many times ive heard, "ohh that was a product of the farm." when you fail to see that it was on your side that was unsafe because of you letting jump the canopy they shouldnt be under...

Wow Mark. I'm seriously going to have to disagree again. If there is ANY criticism of Ian's canopy advice out there, it's that he's too conservative in his canopy recommendations to young jumpers. Personally, I think that's an accolade. And as for your vague insinuations that jumpers are able to jump canopies at Skydive Atlanta that they are not able to jump at the Farm....now you're spreading the rumors that you wanted to avoid. Let's get back to the issue, shall we?

Brie
"Ive seen you hump air, hump the floor of the plane, and hump legs. You now have a new nickname: "Black Humper of Death"--yardhippie

Just so everyone is clear I do not think The Farm is unsafe. They have always been really good to me whenever I have visited. I plan on going there again.

There are things I like and dislike about every DZ, including my home DZ.

The rest I'm not even going to bother to respond to.
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

The CPC is trying to be too much. They are trying to introduce new swoopers into competition, be a highly competitive circuit, offer prize money, and be the only direct way to go pro, all at the same time. That is just not going to work well from year to year, as is now being seen.

By me saying that the problem is the system and not the people taking advantage of it, I am just trying to point out that there needs to be some major changes in that system. But setting up a system and then telling people they have to do things "because it's the right thing to do" even though they are completely following the rules of that very system, just is not going to work. Hence this thread.

There needs to be a way for up and coming pilots to get a chance to pro qualify without placing in the top 5 and top 10.

Well it sounds like we don't need to worry about being in the the top five of a district anymore (the only downside to having this top five rule was that some districts produce more swoopers than others and a sixth place person in one area not invited to the big show could be better than a top five person from another area). But unless the powers in charge just start allowing people to take pro qualifiers (something I don't see them doing), why should the top ten requirement at the CPC nationals change? Certain well connected jumpers should not be allowed to cut to the front of the line while the others have to earn their way. Everyone should have equal access.

It sounds like you don't like the CPC (and that's fine), but what are your alternatives? The level of competition at last year's CPC finals was outstanding. Unless you were there you'd be surprised how well most people flew. Obviously the top five competitors were much better than the bottom five, but the overall skill level of the entire field was excellent. I guess I say all of this because I don't think well connected swoopers should be given "pass go for free" cards.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I understand that. However, the idea that there is anything between those 10 ft gates seems to have to potential for a little bit of target fixation. And since I seem to always set up too far back, I'll be taken dem bitches out anyway.;)

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

It sounds like you don't like the CPC (and that's fine), but what are your alternatives?

Huh?? I never said anything about not liking the CPC. I just offered some thoughts about the current system. I suppose you could keep the top 10 requirement at Nationals the same, but I wasn't saying anyone would get to "go to the front of the line." Everyone would have to EARN their right to qualify through a point system.

e all know that one competition jump is equal to about 20 practice jumps so a competition fee of $165...

I've been thinking about competing for the first time at the amateur level, but a $165 meet fee would definately keep me out of it, no question.

I don't know what the meet fees were in the past, but thats definately way higher than I'd be willing to pay.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.