ianmdrennan

Thoughts on CPC 'eligibility'

well. look at it this way, the way the rules are now, i would compete hand in hand with the same gates as you. you want that?

or would you rather have me handicapped, on 5 footers, then also having % scoring system. it levels the feild, trust me.

Fine, whatever....
You are as hard to impress a point upon as ever. With the new rules about attendance vs placement to advance to the finals, I don't care anymore. Do whatever you think is right and it'll all work out in the end. I can only do my personal best and at my current level, you'll have a clear advantage. I'm probably going to be one of the least experienced pilots in the region even though I've trained very hard all winter but run your 5s or 10s and do whatever you want. I'll be competing against you sooner or later. I'm not afraid of competing against anyone, I'll take something away from it every time until it's money, and even then there'll be more to learn.

JUST BRING IT because I'll be ready.

you should talk to chris and see how his scoring system works. you will be suprized.

there were meets where me and paul brian and ian beat out Ian bobo, jay mo and shannon, when we are on top of our game. and this was 3 years ago when we started. it was all of our first year in comps..

It works, you say "whatever" with no understanding of the %'dg scoring and the 5 foot gates. it makes a difference, and the top pilot has to be on his game to win. pro, advanced or beginner.

my dropzone charges $16 for 5000 feet. its not cuase they want to but its cause they have to do so to just break even or make a little profit due to price of fuel at our airport. i would believe this is the case at most dropzones where the price is a little higher than normal. its not because they are tryin to rip people off as you say.

and as for you Ian, since we are name calling and grandstanding. what have you done to help other newbie jumpers?

Well i can tell you just some of the things he's done for me how about that? i live in the NW, which is across the country from you guys, and he's gone out of his way to give me calls and emails about advice to give to some new swoopers in this area and the advice he's given has been top notch. the stuff he's done for me and offered to do for me has all been very professionally approached and done without expecting anything in return. there's only a few people on these forums that i would trust to ask serious advice to and Ian is one of them. i hope some of you newer pilots out there have a chance to work with ian or at least talk with him.

the only time I see you work with peeps ian is when it helps make your ego bigger

man you must be looking in the wrong direction then. in colorado, ian was giving advice to several competition guys a couple days before the competition. helping them with set-ups, power training, hitting the gates, ect., so how is this helping him out in any way? he's giving advice to his competition that he's competing against. he was doing these things because he saw that some of the people there might be able to benefit from his knowledge and i think they did. did they give him anything for these favors? i don't think so. did he expect anything for these favors? i doubt it.

and im proud of the fact that I get under your skin, its like a little kids game to me.

mark, you might fly at 'pro' level but your attitude is below amateur. this statement straight up pisses me off.

As far as what i think needs to be done about the top 10 guys going pro or staying amature, well i think it's too early to tell. we've only had 1 year of the CPC and i'd like to see what happens if we didn't change anything for next year, because right now all these assumptions about 'ringers' and 'sandbaggers' are just that, assumptions. so my vote is to keep things the same but to take note of possible changes that might be needed for the future. of course these are just my .02
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

in colorado, ian was giving advice to several competition guys

I first started talking to Ian online about skydiving in the fall of 2003 (if I'm not mistaken). Then I met him at that years Eloy Holiday Boogie. First talking about freeflying and then more on swooping. Over the years he has given me help and opinions which was always been professional and useful. Plus in Colorado he told me how I could increase my powerband techniques to produce better speed and distance results. But he also warned me at the same time not to change my approach for this comp and to only work on this technique in the future. Once again professional and courtious advice which was totally correct. I didn't change my approach and am happy with how I flew that day. But I could be flying so much farther and faster thanks to the advice that Ian and others gave me that week. In fact the only time I used Ian's technique was on that first speed run with our 10 mph downwind component, the one that I rear riser stalled on. Hey what a minute? Ian plotted against me! ... just kidding, I'm the one who fucked up, not Ian. He had his own issues.

The three amigos

Stu: The strong silent type.
Ian: The logical one.
Mark: Oh what would we do without Mark? We love him don't we?

Actually sorry Stu, I think someone like Tyler should take your spot in this love triangle. Maybe Dan? No Tyler.

PS: I actually enjoyed meeting you Mark but I don't live as close to you as Ian does. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

man you must be looking in the wrong direction then. in colorado, ian was giving advice to several competition guys a couple days before the competition.

thats my point.

your right, i dont watch him at his dz, I just hear the things people say.

he has pushed me to far with his ways.... I dont need boxing gloves to kick his ass.. my canopy works just fine.

Man, this is good old-fashioned shit talking at its finest but we really have gotten off topic now haven't we? IMHO, I don't see what's wrong with letting whoever wants to compete in the CPC do just that. I think that the prizes should be limited to negligible amounts so that if the motivation to "stay back" in the CPC is to clean house at all the comps, it would motivate those people to move into the PST. If a person likes to compete locally with his/her friends and family, possibly at their home DZ, then what's the harm in that?
Look at the posibilities for everyone:

The Newbies: They have someone that they know from their local, or at least regional, DZ that they can learn and absorb from.

The Rookie Competitors: Sure, you've got someone in your division who's going to be near impossible to defeat, but isn't that the point? Didn't we all play King of the Hill when we were kids? It doesn't matter how long you stand on top, your reign's over as soon as you're knocked down and isn't victory luscious?

Those Going Pro: What the hell do you guys have to complain about? Those who stay back are out of your competition brackets. If they were a pain in the ass before, they're gone now so adios. You'll go on to learn from the current pros and your knowledge increases while the person who stayed behind maintains a current knowledge.

The Lingering "Champion": This is the only person that I could come up with that felt negative impacts of this choice. If you choose to stay back in your CPC league, it makes it hard to learn when you're the best. If teaching and coaching is your goal, then it is noble that you have chosen to stay back for the advancement of others. Teachers don't get paid shit but they sure don't come cheap.

I also really like the idea of the %dg scoring and the "stricter" rules (harder courses) for those who have chosen to stay...and a point system for pro qualification even the playing field as well, cause if you can win, you can get in...

Regardless of how this all turns out, '06 will be my introductory year to competition swooping. I can't wait to get out there and kick some ass and I hope to see as many of you as possible here in CO this summer...

"and if you don't like it then 'Hey Fuck You'"
--The Beastie Boys--

how about this,

top 10 pilots, who dont go pro and stay in the cpc for the second year, run 5 ft gates and still acru points, if they qualify for finals, they run 5ft gates. if they get top 10 again for the second year in a row, 2nd year on 5 footers, then they get there pro card handed to them.:)

I actually think that's a great idea, Mark. Seriously. Ultimately, if you want to do some pro events, Jim is not the only game in town. Go Fast is definitely a pro meet, as is The Ranch PSN and plenty of other "professional" money meets out there. It's semantics.

I have no fucking idea what I am going to do this year. All I know is that I am moving to Z-hills in July and am going to have a blast busting some turns on that little pond.

***Does the jumper need to make three competitions in a given "home" district or can it be three competitions no matter where they are just as long as they competed in three sanctioned CPC competitions.

I think it ought to be written that any competitor who makes any three CPC events in any district qualifies for the final event in Colorado.

The CPC Carolinas district was an absolute bust this past year. Next to no participation and very few guys willing to make even the minimum amount of events. That said, there are a couple of really good swoopers who really want to compete. Guys who's work schedule has them travelling all around the nation (two GK's tandem team guys who swoop their asses off) and would have a much better chance at making the requisite three-minimum meets to qualify for Colorado. I would love for those guys (and two others from my old district) to have the opportunity to continue on.

Chuck

I think having the top ten compete on the longer, narrower course, while applying the percentage math thing, would be a good way for everything to stay competitive, and hell maybe those competeing from the bottom nine could take their shot at McNenny if he shows, on the Pro course.

Coming soon to a bowl of Wheaties near you!!

I think having the top ten compete on the longer, narrower course, while applying the percentage math thing, would be a good way for everything to stay competitive, and hell maybe those competeing from the bottom nine could take their shot at McNenny if he shows, on the Pro course.

dan. if you would. go to www.canopypiloting.com and post this also. everyone needs to hear what you and others think about what the curcuit should be like next season.