Vectracide

Katana Performance

Holy geeze, mother of pearl. This thing goes and goes and goes and goes.

107 loaded at 1.67, this canopy absoulutely is amazing. Clear and pull at 7k. Really low stall point on toggles, just like my Xfire. Snappy as hell turns, almost too fast.....can go around you if you aren't paying attention. Excellent rear riser turns, very fast as well. Comes out of a dive for an emergency flat turn quite well (abort technique).

Openings start out just like the Xfire, but end up with needing a whole lot more attention than the Xfire. It is nice and straight to start with, some hunting at almost full inflation and a poppy ending that results in a either direction of heading......not much more than 90 degrees. It your not looking and ready to harness or rear to counter, I can see this baby going around you in short order. Overall, a respectable opening canopy for the performance that it offers. (always seems to be a tradeoff huh...)

But the thing that really gets me going is the incredible front riser performance. After 2 360's on the right front, I was surpirsed at how low the pressure was...so I brought down the left riser while still in a dive. Holy crap! Both risers fully down with little effort and I am in a totally vertical dive. Let up on the right and rotate the other direction for another 360. I shit you not, this thing is like being in freefall, burning thru both the breakoff and dump altitude dytters. I just lost 3 grand in what seemed like seconds.

This thing is going to take some serious respect to get out of it what it has to offer. Wow. This summer is looking even better....

------------------------------

Controlled and Deliberate.....

Hey,
Just threw some jumps on a Katana 97 today. Loaded at 1.75. Pretty fun canopy. I was freezing cold so don't think I enjoyed it fully. But...great opening, fast toggle turns, super light riser pressure, good flare. I'll have it for a couple more weeks so I'm sure I'll learn more.

Yeh, the lack of front riser pressure compared to my Xfire really amazed me. I jumped a 120 loaded at 1.8 and could have dived it into the ground from 13K with little effort :ph34r:!

Amazing canopy, very responsive to harness input as well. But it is trimmed relatively steep. I'd agree with you on the openings - they start off looking OK and then 40% of the time I was trying hard not to let it spin up if it did start going off heading. Had a couple of near ones, but they were easy enough to kick out (was using same packer throughout). The Xfire openings are much more relaxed.

I don't need that kind of performance yet, so I've opted for a smaller Xfire (119) instead, but when I'm ready, I'll probably choose a Katana.

I'd agree with you on the openings - they start off looking OK and then 40% of the time I was trying hard not to let it spin up if it did start going off heading

If you're having these types of openings on your Katana I would suggest that you look at packing and/or body position. I jump a Katana 107 at 1.6 with my wingsuit and have never felt like I had to fly the opening, if I did I wouldn't be under this canopy. I am however very astute on packing and body position during opening, both of which are very important IMO.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I jumped a 120 loaded at 1.8 and could have dived it into the ground from 13K with little effort !

Funny I could have been able to dive my xfire into the ground with little effort with the harness from 13k. But then again I am a harness fan!

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Lou,

Hey, wassup dude. So, a Katana and a wingsuit huh? Pretty darn agressive. You have a good amount of experience, but I cant help but notice that you are only human. Other than your packing technique (which I will be hittin you up for next time I'm down there), your telling me that you use no harness or riser input at all to fly the opening? Of course I dont know what size your flying, it lighter loaded it could be more manageable, but then again, I know you and its probably not a student canopy size.;) What's your secret.

...your telling me that you use no harness or riser input at all to fly the opening? Of course I dont know what size your flying, it lighter loaded it could be more manageable, but then again, I know you and its probably not a student canopy size.;) What's your secret.

I can't speak for Lou, but as a general statement the more you try to fly the opening, the more it will do weird things is what I've found on my canopies. I have about 1100 jumps on Sabre2s, and I'm currently loading mine pretty good (S2-135 @ 1.75 or so).
What i found after jumping a Stiletto 135 for a month or two is that my openings on the Sabre2 got a lot better.. The Stiletto is also very sensitive on body position on opening. It is important to be perfectly stable on deployment, and during the opening, I hang almost limp in the harness.. and I have nice on heading openings all the time..

Think about this concept.. you're putting inputs in a canopy that is inflating, by moving your body in the harness or by pulling on risers... you're affecting how the canopy opens in a really big way..

Just my 2cts, like I said, I can't speak for Lou, I don't know what he does on opening, but I'm sure it's something similar to what I'm doing.. nothing..

So, a Katana and a wingsuit huh? Pretty darn agressive

I'm not a very current WS flier, but still I am more confident to jump Katana with a wingsuit jump than a Stiletto. I am loading Kat107 to 1,8 and never had a problem with a WS.
I completely agree that

the more you try to fly the opening, the more it will do weird things

If my Katana does behave it is a slow opening when I start moving my ass before the canopy is fully opened. I never had to use a riser input to tame an opening on Katana.
If there is a constant problem check the trim - one of my Katanas lost 5 inches in outer lines in just 300-something jumps

I think Ian(vdschoor) sumed it up pretty good in his post. As for my packing, I pack it the way PD recommends, nothing fancy or secret is done to the canopy. I think a neat pack job is a happy pack job and pay attention to the small things that some might take for granted. And yes, I have been accused of being anal in my packing by some who prefer to pack quicker than I:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have over 200 jumps on my Katana 107 with a wing loading of 1.86. I am a very neat packer as for my body position during opening sequence I believe it to be good. However, the openings are just as vectra described. Most are freefly jumps. I have had a few of my friends who have hundreds of jumps on velocities and they say the openings are very similar. I do jump a wingsuit from time to time and my openings in the wingsuit are much nicer and more on heading which could have everything to do with me being in partial forward flight. Just my experience.

I guess what I should have written out, instead of saying flying the openings is giving input at the very end. The canopy seems like it wants to go to one side or the other, and by input, I mean harness or rear riser to counter. Now about the lying limp in the harness, yes.....that is what I do as well. I just dont type as good as I think.;) I understand countering every sideways action of the inflating canopy is a bad idea, usually resuling in an exaggerated opposite turn.

Lou,

Hey, wassup dude. So, a Katana and a wingsuit huh? Pretty darn agressive. You have a good amount of experience, but I cant help but notice that you are only human. Other than your packing technique (which I will be hittin you up for next time I'm down there), your telling me that you use no harness or riser input at all to fly the opening? Of course I dont know what size your flying, it lighter loaded it could be more manageable, but then again, I know you and its probably not a student canopy size.;) What's your secret.

Katana is my wingsuit canopy. I made over 400 jumps with this combo last year without a single line twist. Just keep your knees together and your shoulders and hips even. If you are still getting squirrelly openings, try tightening your straps down more (though this marginally decreases the performance of some wingsuits).

Edited to add: I'm a total trash packer. I just shove it in there til it fits. Openings are far more body position than packing.

I'm getting juiced just reading this thread in the anticipations of my new baby...KA120 should be here anytime now B| I'll be loading it @ 1.8 and coming off my XF2-139 @ 1.55, I'm stoked to see what this baby'll do. Thanks for the tips on openings, similiar to the XF2 in that if you try and fly them too much, they want to fight with you...just let them open by themselves and it treats you right...can't wait can't wait can't wait B|

"and if you don't like it then 'Hey Fuck You'"
--The Beastie Boys--

Hey Dploi,
I had a wingsuit for a while, but sold it. It was fun, but enought for me to keep it when I could spend the $$ elsewhere. I jumped a xfire with it and didn't care that much for the openings. It was too much liability for me, but then again, I was a newbie WS flyer. I bought this canopy specifically for competition.

I will be paying much more attention to my packing and body position, as the Xfire was shoved in most of the time and body position wasn't such a concern as the Katana is.

Honestly the aggressive response was something I was not expecting , I had heard they were touchy but WOW!
Loading a 107 @ 1.96 is a blast,but coming from a safire to a katana was an eye opener.
A friend said you would always respect a race car for its power and the same applies.
The openings are nice on the initial stage but tends to have a snap at the end.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

Hey KJ126. Yeah its a fun canopy, and definitely deserves respect.

I had a Safire for a short while. Nothing like what you have now. You have more #'s than me, but unless you have elliptical experience, watch yourself under this canopy. Its damn near as aggresive as a Velo as I have been told by the Velo pilots themselves. (never flown one) Be safe.

later.:)

I totally agree. Its defintely a beast. I think I will get one for my birdman canopy.

a beast for shuwa...if you want a beast for birdman use your vx...

you think your bird man is better than mine? In that case i will avenge my brothers by representing and whippin yo ass

dude are we going to BASE or what? Im tired of the waiting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.if you want a beast for birdman use your vx...

I've used my VX for birdman and never had a problem.

And De Gayardon used a Stilleto for a BASE jump too. Guess you are good at what you do.