m0ng00se007

Flight-1 Canopy Skills Course (Feb 17-19, Elsinore)

ESSENTIAL SKILLS: FEBRUARY 17 & 18, 2005
ADVANCED SKILLS: FEBRUARY 19, 2005

The Essential Skills Course is a five-jump program with a video debrief and ground training session between each jump. The course can normally be completed in one day.

The Advanced Skills Course consists of five jumps with classroom training between each jump. Depending on your current skill level and goals, you will be able to focus on one of two different skill areas: High Performance Landings or Advanced Accuracy.

You’ll learn about…
• Basic aerodynamics
• Effective flaring techniques
• Vertical separation
• Dealing with wind and turbulance
• Aerodynamic stalls and stall recovery
• Achieving the best glide
• The “Accuracy Trick”
• And more…

This canopy course is the most affordable canopy course out there. You won't get this much for so little anywhere else.

Course is limited to 8 students per day to maximize your learning. Slots are going quickly, so don’t delay! Call 1-877-THE-JUMP to reserve your slot today.

For more information: http://www.skydiveelsinore.com/teams/Flight-1/index.html

Come join the FUN! See you there!
-jt

It was great... We thought the weather was going to be a problem on Friday, but we started with the Ground School first. Then when the weather cleared at about 12:00pm, we jumped to catch up with ground sessions... it was great.

One girl, was just off AFF, cleared to self supervise, and did her first hop-n-pop in our class. It's cool though, because I'm an AFF instructor too. So it all worked out.

The Saturday class was great too. I'm really looking forward to this next camp.

-jt

I'm sure it would, but I got to ask openly here this:
Can this course benefit someone with a PD-170 canopy. I really don't see myself on a real fast canopy. I have never jumped any 'ellipticals'and I am not ashame to admit, not all my landings are stand-up and really want to be better accuracy for the D-license requirements and all-around, etc.
Thank you for your time.

I'm sure it would, but I got to ask openly here this:
Can this course benefit someone with a PD-170 canopy. I really don't see myself on a real fast canopy. I have never jumped any 'ellipticals'and I am not ashame to admit, not all my landings are stand-up and really want to be better accuracy for the D-license requirements and all-around, etc.
Thank you for your time.

yes,

here is what JT posted before.

One girl, was just off AFF, cleared to self supervise, and did her first hop-n-pop in our class. It's cool though, because I'm an AFF instructor too. So it all worked out.

The Flight-1 courses are set up to for all levels of skydivers... From the person just off student status, jumping a 220 or larger all the way to the most advanced swooper.

All the information is relative and can be used. And all of the exercises will be beneficial in becoming a safe canopy pilot.

For more info about the course you can check out the Flight-1 website at www.flight-1.com

Thanks for reply to post.
I will try to enroll for the Essential 1. in Feb.
If not, the next one.
I should have checked website before posting!
Thank you for your time.

You should make every effort to take the course in Febuary. It is well worth the time and money. I took the course with Johnathan a few months ago here at Elsinore and it was great!

I may sit in on the class again just to see if there is something I missed :)

For those that might be interested....this course rocks! I attended the Essential Skills Course 3 months ago and learned a ton about canopy flight and landings (even after a couple thousand jumps and several years in the sport). As an AFF Instructor for the past 7 years, I'm completely convinced of the need for detailed canopy instruction like this and am working to become an Instructor so I can share what I've learned. If you are relatively new to the sport, getting quality instruction like this sooner rather than later, will make you a much better and safer canopy pilot.

This course and it's curriculum were created by Scott Miller, who is a former PD test jumper with thousands of jumps, and the Instructor - Jonathan Tagle - is the newest member of the PD team and one of the best canopy pilots in the world. It doesn't get much better than this...

Robert Marshall

I took the Essentials and Advanced course with Scott Miller in DeLand. Both are excellent courses, and I'd highly recommend them to everyone.

I'm actually planning on taking the Advanced Course again, prior to joining the CPC this year. Maybe you'll grace us with your presense in DeLand sometime in the next couple months? :)
Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

can you say how much the course will be?thanx

If I am not mistaken, each course, the essential skills and the advanced skills course are $185 each. It includes 5 hop and pops, ground training before each jump, very good video of your canopy ride and landing, and video debrief. Well worth the money.

When I took the course a few months ago, that was the price I paid, $185. I doubt it has changed but if it has I'm sure Johnathan will chime in to let you know.

Yep, Tim's got it right.....$185. That includes everything; groundschool, jumps, video, and debriefs. It's a full day and usually ends after the sunset load.
One of the cool things, is the instructor will tailor each jump to your experience level. Tim and I are both aff instructors at Elsinore and when we went through the course with Scott Miller, he had us doing things slightly different than the other students. All in the interest of making it more challenging. One of the girls in the course was just finishing up her A license prep work, and seemed to progress faster than the rest of the class.