flyer299

Is Psycho Pack the way to go???

I am pretty new to the sport, and will be getting my first brand new ZP Canopy by PD very shortly. Of course I am thinking to myself, how am I going to get that slippery thing into my dBag. I've been reading a lot of Psycho Packing. I've even watched some movies of it being done. Almost seems too good to be true.

My questions is, what is the down side? I've read a lot about the reason to do it. Is there someone who won't Psycho Pack, and why?

Just want to fully know all the down sides before I even think about jumping out with a chute that was Psycho Packed.

Thanks

Be sure to get your rigger to make you a bridal extension. He'll know what you're talking about - it's almost a necessity if you're going to Psycho pack.

As long as you remember to take out the twist, a properly executed Psycho pack should be just fine. For me, it works a little better than a PRO pack. The best thing you can do is to learn both, learn them well, and pick the one that works best for you.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

My questions is, what is the down side? I've read a lot about the reason to do it. Is there someone who won't Psycho Pack, and why?

I have a Spectre 170 that I'm putting into a container built for a 150. The only reason I psycho pack is because at the time I got the rig, it was easier for me to bag the psycho pack than the pro pack. 40 pack jobs later, I can get a pro pack in the bag almost as easily as a psycho pack. In my case, psycho packing didn't bring better openings, but it also didn't make them worse, other than a slight increase in "hunting for a heading."

The downsides of psycho packing: You'll probably want to add a bridle extension to reduce unnecessary wear on your canopy. People will look at you funny and offer to teach you how to pro pack constantly. At least one person will tell you a story about about a guy who knew a guy who had a bunch of cutaways after he started psycho packing (I think these stories are, for the most part, just rumors). In my case, psycho packing seems to bring a mild increase in "hunting for a heading" during canopy inflation.

Upsides: Bagging the canopy can be easier. Some people get better openings.

I love Psycho-packing. I've used it on my Sabre, my Heatwave and I use it on the Stiletto I have now.

My Mirage is designed to hold a 170 tight and my Stiletto 190 was bought new. You do the math. Slippery canopy + tight D-bag = massive frustration...unless you psycho-pack.

The canopy goes into the bag very easily and I get nothing but great on-heading openings from it.

Get the bridle-extension and be careful laying the canopy on the ground 180 until you learn how to do it with finesse.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

The video (how to bag a ZP canopy in 30 seconds is accurate). it is only a couple of steps differnt from poro pack...roll instead of s fold.

I don't bother, but it seems to help if your canopy opens hard (sabre).
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

You do the math. Slippery canopy + tight D-bag = massive frustration...unless you psycho-pack.

Or unless you're a really good packer. Kris, I've got a Freebirds Burrito that says I can pack your canopy , pro-pack, and have it go in the bag, in the container as clean ir not cleaner then your psycho-pack. I also wager that it will open as nice.

My point is, the two are just different methods, find the one that works for you well and keep to it.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Maybe its just me, but... It seems there are a lot if you out there stuffing canopies larger than recommended by the mfg. into you containers. Im just as poor as the next guy but if your canopy is not suppoesed to go in there maybe we should look at buying a new container. As far as psycho packing I just never got the hang of it cuz at a couple of boogies I could pro pack faster than psycho and PRO packing just works great for me. But then again im not stuffing a 190 in a 150 bag!
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Ahhhh! You've asked the question, here's the answer... Longevity.

Simple. One word.

The vast majority of skydivers are cheap bastards, myself included. I would much rather spend my money on jumps. So when I went all out and got my fully-loaded Mirage UNISYN, I wanted to make sure it would last me for some time to come.

My M4-sized Mirage will hold my 170 (which is what it was designed for) when I am ready to downsize. When I am ready again, it will hold my 150.

Until then, I have no problems getting my Stiletto 190 in there.

Kris

Or unless you're a really good packer. Kris, I've got a Freebirds Burrito that says I can pack your canopy , pro-pack, and have it go in the bag, in the container as clean ir not cleaner then your psycho-pack. I also wager that it will open as nice.

Dave, I can get it in there with a PRO-pack, but I'd rather not. The reason? Psycho is what I learned.

But, if you want to make the offer interesting we can have a little contest the next time we meet. I'll pack my rig via Psycho, you pack it via PRO. We'll see who gets to the first locking stow ahead of the other one. Only rule: You'd have to be willing to jump the pack job yourself.B|

Kris

We'll see who gets to the first locking stow ahead of the other one. Only rule: You'd have to be willing to jump the pack job yourself

I'm game and the packjob will not only be very jumpable, my packjob will open very nice. When we meet we can work out the little logistics of how we're going to time this, when to start the time, etc. This will be fun, and we can post the results of our very unscientific study between the two pack jobs.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I'm game and the packjob will not only be very jumpable, my packjob will open very nice. When we meet we can work out the little logistics of how we're going to time this, when to start the time, etc. This will be fun, and we can post the results of our very unscientific study between the two pack jobs.:)

Schweet! We'll give it a go at Eloy. The counter starts once the brakes are stowed and goes until the first locking stow is on.

Kris
"Already tasting his Freebird's burrito..."

No, there's something more important involved with this gentlemen's wager...a Freebirds Burrito.

Freebirds burrito's are life itself, rolled up in a tasty tortilla wrapper. It is too important a prize to be degraded by "shenanigans" during the contest.:ph34r:

Kris

The counter starts once the brakes are stowed and goes until the first locking stow is on.

Why don't start when both of you have the canopy on the shoulder (right before clearing the cells), that way it will be more accurate to see who is faster or slower to psycho or to pro. Oh yeah and have a nice topless lady say the READY SET GO! ;)

HISPA 21
www.panamafreefall.com

I used to psyco-pack my Safire when it was new (100 first jumps or so) and I had little packing experience. Then started pro-packing (200+ jumps since), here's my newbie's 2c :

- no noticable opening change (for that specific canopy at least)
- psyco is easier when the canopy is new (actualy more true when you don't have hundreds or thousands of packs under your belt.)
- Pro-pack can be quick and small (even with a new canopy) when you've got the technique to do it properly ('getting better at that game every day ;-)

alain

The greatest advantage to psycho packing is the rolling portion. Rolling the canopy helps the most for squeezing out air and controlling it while bagging the canopy.
Rolling can be combined with any other packing method.
Hint, I saw a guy pro-rolling canopies years before I heard of psycho packing.
Oh, and a bridle extension does help when rolling.
In the end you will find one method that works well for you and stick with it.

i psycho pack my safire and have done many times to a xfire and jumped it. it was recommended to me by Icarus. it's way easier in my opinion than the normal S-folds on a new ZP canopy. I've also taught about 10 people to psycho pack who all swear they'll not go back. if you master the regular pro-pack, no need to try and switch... if you're struggling to get it in the bag, try psychopacking it, you'll save some blood, sweat and tears.

the biggest advatage i think is putting the bag down over the canopy, using the ground and your knees to contain the canopy. whereas in the regular propack, trying to contain the s-folds and slide the bag under the canopy is the tricky part. also in my experience, every canopy i've psycho-packed has fit into the bag better and more easily than the owners best regular pro-pack. my psycho-packs don't leave any material hanging out. works for me.

i would also recommend asking the canopy manufacturer, i have heard of some canopies that are not recommended to be psycho-packed.