RedDevil1102

Mamba Is Here Any News

I'm not sure asking some one at Aerodyne or Sponsord by Aerodyne will give me a fair opinion :P

Even though they work there, they are not brainwashed ;)
Aubrey has always been really open and honest about his opinions regarding gear (at least to me). Of course at the end of the day he is going to say which one he thinks is better.. and guess what.. but as far as giving you a comparison as to what the differences / similarities are.. you are going to get a real honest answer from him.

That is one of the neat things I have seen about skydiving...most people I have talked to will push their product but they don't usually bash another's (remember, I said MOST...that I have talked with ;)). They told me the pro's and con's of each. I think because we are such a small group, the clever people know they are not going to get good reps by just bashing everyone else.

I mean Ankie just posted in another thread for someone to try out both a Vector and Wings before deciding. That is pretty cool.

In anycase, the single best way: get a demo.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

Does any one jumped both Mamba and Katana and can tell us the differences, pro and cons comparing those two canopies....

Thanks

I spent one day doing 14 back to back jumps with both the katana and the mamba in the same exact size.

The line trim is a little flatter on the mamba and thus making it better for getting back from long spots. the recovery arc seems slightly shorter on the mamba. one thing i noticed with every single jump is that the mamba went consistently about fifty to seventy five feet further in a swoop. they were both similar with toggle pressure and rear riser pressure. the front riser pressure seemed a touch lighter on the katana but still very comparible. The mamba also seemed to have more oversteer and i would say seemed more "eliptical" or responsive to toggle input.

At the time i did these jumps the mamba was still in development so this may not be an accurate current description. i am also fairly confident that the flying characteristics would not have changed much.

both are great canopies.

I was associated to aerodyne at the time of doing these jumps but i have since moved away. I have tried to keep this as objective as possible

please pm me for more questions.

Thanks

Paul

one thing i noticed with every single jump is that the mamba went consistently about fifty to seventy five feet further in a swoop.

What about the way the canopy flies do you feel helped you get these longer swoops?

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I finally got my demo 132 last Friday.. I'm keeping it.. and I ordered it's twin.. :P Needless to say, I like it! This is one fun canopy..
It is extremely sensitive to harness input, has an amazing flare and seems to dive forever.. the control range on toggles is very short.. bringing a toggle just to shoulder level puts you in a very hard turn. The riser pressure is good.. it reacts very well to starting your turn with a combination of harness and riser and then letting up on the riser and just using your harness. I only managed to put 10 or 11 jumps on it last weekend switching back and forth between the rig with the Pilot in it and this one so I can't wait to go fly my Mamba some more this weekend.

Oh, yeah.. wing loading is just under 2:1 B|
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

got my 150 loaded at 1.75. love it, amazing flare, love the long recovery arc, had some problems with the fast openings at first but then realized i suck at packing, great canopy, the great thing is that it flies however i want it to, i did some video for a buddy of mine under canopy, he jumps a spectre 190 and i stayed up with him just fine in brakes. at the same time i brought it in downwind on a 270, smoked it across the landing area and had enough shutdown power to stand it up with very little step out. great great great canopy, i do want to try the new katana 150 to see how it compares

The only bad skydive is your last!
chris "sonic wookie" harwell
Piedra-belluda-roja Rodriguez