MrBrant

curious: xbrace riser pressure

Hi,

Somebody at my DZ just bought a VX-99.
He was saying that it seem to have extremely high front riser pressure. (for comparison, he had been jumping a SAM 120)

That made me wonder, is the high front riser pressure characteristic of cross-braces canopies, or is it the VX, or perhaps just this particular VX.
The canopy has a JVX lineset. If it's not simply characteristic of these canopies, perhaps that could be it....

He was saying, his best theory was that the canopy was designed so that most of the pilot's weight was suspended by the front risers, until (during the flare) the weight is shifted to more of the rear risers (due to pilot's position beneath the canopy) to create more of a 'flare' with the entire tail of the canopy for a high lift (think flaps on an aircraft). [That's what I can remember from the conversation anyway, I could have remembered wrong, or misinterpreted what he was trying to say, but i think that's the gist of it].
Does this make any sense to any of you guys at all?

Anyway, anybody have some insight for me to gnaw on? :P

Thanks!

there are no set characteristics of any type of canopy. they all very in flare stroke, riser pressure, toggle pressure.

the vx has high front riser pressure. i tend to use brakes to bring a little out and really use my harness a lot.

there are no set characteristics of any type of canopy.

Nonsense. While there may be variation within set characteristics, characteristics certainly do exist. VXs have very high front riser pressure - that doesn't mean it's a bad canopy. Stilettos have a short recovery arc - that doesn't mean it's a bad canopy. If there were no characteristics, we wouldn't know what kind of canopy to buy...

Canuck

Absolutely.

Characteristics are what we base our choices on for a canopy and what you want your canopy to do. Crossbraced canopies are going to have a higher front riser pressure than non-crossbraced. High riser pressure is one of the trade offs for a more rigid wing with longer dive and lift.

The fact of the matter is that we all don't want the same thing from our canopy. There are trade offs for everything. You want this, you give up that. It all comes down to what you are looking to get out of a canopy and what characteristics you are looking for.

you obviously did not understand my point. you can not blanketly say that all cross brace canopies have higher front riser pressure than non cross braces. it is simlply not true.

all canopies have a characteristics that vary from canopy to canopy, from platform to platform and even between both. check my profile, obviously i dont think VX's are bad based on the riser pressure.

Try pulling the front risers of a student canopy down...!

The higher riser pressure is a good thing - especially on canopies like Velo's and VX's.

I helped out on a test program a couple years back for a manufacturer who had a new elliptical 9 cell. Front riser pressure was real light - so light in fact that when you pulled them down (as you would any other canopy) the nose completely collapsed / folded under rest of the canopy! Scary shit - specially if you were at 800 feet!! B|B|

Try pulling the front risers of a student canopy down...!

The higher riser pressure is a good thing - especially on canopies like Velo's and VX's.

I helped out on a test program a couple years back for a manufacturer who had a new elliptical 9 cell. Front riser pressure was real light - so light in fact that when you pulled them down (as you would any other canopy) the nose completely collapsed / folded under rest of the canopy! Scary shit - specially if you were at 800 feet!! B|B|

how does it open, how does it fly and how does it land. those are the questions to discuss, not riser pressure...

rm

"but it's a piece of shit..."

why do you say this?

Just my opinion Dan, based on both jumping one and jumping with one under my own Velo. They've been on the market long enough now that if they were any good, nevermind superior to every other cross-braced canopy out there as per the marketing hype, we would be seeing them in competitions. Lemme guess - the reason we aren't seeing them in competitions is because Atair doesn't have a sponsored team. Three letters - JVX.

Maybe piece of shit was strong wording. They open nice, but besides that, they just don't keep up.

Canuck

Be sure that the Onix is the best cross braced canopy in the moment.
The onix is very ahead of the other concepts of the current canopys
If some top pilot to compete with the onix you can believe that will win even to the velo
I am not sponsored by the atair! Only I know the modern canopys project and I admire the excellent work of the atair in the onix.

roq