rhys

ground launching rocks

i did my real first ground launching today. after heaps of ground handling. i launched of the remarkables ski field access road(one of the sites on gravity pilots) fuck it was mint.

the vertical of the slope is 900' so the swoop is over 1000' i did ten flights and warwick got 13. fuck it rules thats 10000' of swooping today.

we were using a vengence170 i had a 1.0 wing loading on it and warwick had a 1.3 wingloading. we both had similar flights.

G/L rules. including the cost of the rental car it cost us $2.50 a flight. and we got to thrash a brand new car up and down istead of walking. :DB|;):D:ph34r:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

did my real first ground launching today. after heaps of ground handling. i launched of the remarkables ski field access road(one of the sites on gravity pilots) fuck it was mint.

The Remarkables!! Fuck, I've got to get back to New Zealand some time soon.:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

warrick got some video on his 3g phone he is gonna post it.

i knew i would like it but damn it is fun. swoop the ground for 600' then on the rears to get enough height to front riser in for the landing. then no walking. perfect.

:DB|
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

yeah bro,

my mate matt has a farm in parakai. 1000 acres of rolling hills
he has done a bit of gl there, there is even a 25 acre sand dune you can ride down on a snowboard?

i think it may be a potential site for a ground launching camp early next year. p/m me if you want his phone number.

i cant wait to come up and jump the porter. i am working at glenorchy just now.

Hey Rhys, its Dane, how ya going? Funny that you've just been doing this, cause for the last few days I've been looking up at the access road and thinking about how good it would be to ground launch off. I'm living in Lake Hayes Estate now, so I think I could just about land in my back yard too! Where exactly were you taking off from, and where were you landing?

hey bro,
you can take off from the hang glider launch point and you land back on the access road. if you go to the launch point the landing area is pretty visble. if you go to www.canopypiloting.com and in the forums there i posted a thread titled 'wingloading and windspeed' or something like that. there is some photos attached there. d.z.com said they were too bigger files to attach. i am pretty computer iliterate especially on this mac. so i can't compress them.

how was that debacle the other day. lindsay is such a moron.

you probably could make it all the way to lake hayes estate, wouldn't want to 'not' make it though eh ;)

Here is a short film of our session the other day that nick made ground launching video

Hi,
is there a reason why you hold on to your frontrisers when you launch? Is it better for penetrating the wind for the start?
Someone suggested me to put in brakes first and then start off with your rearrisers.. But I guess it all depends on the wind and slope situation, right?
I have never done it, but when I see those videos I really want to ;)
cheers,
max

is there a reason why you hold on to your frontrisers when you launch? Is it better for penetrating the wind for the start?

exactly.

use your fronts initaly to get some speed up then use your rears to take off with gradual input. fly with your rears and only use your toggles to flare at the end or get over a mound if you feel you will stall on the rears wit too much input.

BE CAREFULB|