Richardhayden

Re: [USPA] Fatality: Texel - Adrian Nicolas - 17 September 2005

Well there you go... they tested it for swooping.... so why didnt it work then?.... when did they test it... how often do they test them... how relevent are the tests... I started jumping with a round canopy, then a PC, then a triangular one then a 230 sq ft square... I went at a certain speed, then another then another then another... now things are different!

The fact is that with canopy sports we travel faster than the AAD activation speed, but reduce that speed for landing, just like an aeroplane.... Why do you need an AAD for canopy sports when more than 7 fatalities clearly indicate that they are incompatable... or put another way... if I have a perfectly good main over my head, why do I suddenly want to be surprised by my reserve coming out when I am close to the ground?

These things are not compatable with hop and pop jumping, no matter how you look at it.

when did they test it...

Last year. (when affected canopies were being jumped long enough)

Oh yeah, some other guy tested it and found it could activate. They then said this guy didn't know what he was doing. Apperently he was, and they weren't.

Why do you need an AAD for canopy sports when more than 7 fatalities clearly indicate that they are incompatable...

This is exaclty my point. I never seen a report from the manufactorer there was a danger, in fact they were activily promoting it for swooping and activly denying there was a danger. Even when a number of people were crying out to them, to change their policies on this point.
The trouble with skydiving; If you stink at it and continue to jump, you'll die. If you're good at it and continue to jump, you'll see a lot of friends die...

Cigarette manufacturers never told people about the "alleged" danger of tabaco, but they started doing only when forced to.

Have you ever noticed how CRW jumpers havnt taken to AAD´s. Thats because of the risks of using one were considered from the outset.

Downplanes can exceed 36 meters/sec, thus fire a cypres. I would hate to be in a wrap and find my reserve firing.

I am definitely NOT anti AAD, they just must be a considered a part of your kit. For the vast majority of skydiving, they are a risk reducer.