grue

What's it called when...

What's it called when a swooper goes totally sideways in a turn, and brings it back to vertical, seemingly without any altitude loss? I've seen it done only a few times in person, but it's pretty cool.

Is that something that can be done at altitude? How?
cavete terrae.

Since, according to your profile, you have 45 jumps that is a great to ask your canopy coach. <> <>

If you don't have someone coaching you, I would suggsest getting one before playing around with this type of manuever. These high performance moves look cool, but they come with new dangers. Even trying this up high seems risky.

For example...Stalling your canopy is a lot fun, and pretty safe at high altitude. But on certain canopies you can/will induce an unrecoverable malfunction. At 700 jumps I still ask for advice before trying new things under canopy.

Since, according to your profile, you have 45 jumps that is a great to ask your canopy coach. <> <>

If you don't have someone coaching you, I would suggsest getting one before playing around with this type of manuever. These high performance moves look cool, but they come with new dangers. Even trying this up high seems risky.

For example...Stalling your canopy is a lot fun, and pretty safe at high altitude. But on certain canopies you can/will induce an unrecoverable malfunction. At 700 jumps I still ask for advice before trying new things under canopy.

Definitely good advice. It's not something I'm looking at trying right away, seeing as my new canopy is a pretty big change from the student systems I was using. I'm simply one of those people who wants to know how everything works, and I sat there looking at a photo of this manouver trying to figure out how it was done.

As for coaching, I'll definitely be trying to find someone who can help with that, but at a tiny tiny little DZ like mine, it can be tough [:/] I might see if I can hook up with someone for a few coached jumps at Eloy in December, though!
cavete terrae.

What's it called when a swooper goes totally sideways in a turn, and brings it back to vertical, seemingly without any altitude loss? I've seen it done only a few times in person, but it's pretty cool.

Yep, looks fun, unless the canopy stalls right in the middle of it... Seen that happen a few times.. B|:P

Yep, looks fun, unless the canopy stalls right in the middle of it... Seen that happen a few times.. B|:P

:o:o:SB|

First person I saw do it was Jeff Mullins, at our boogie, my eyes just about popped out of my head. It's just so INSANE looking.
cavete terrae.

it works because of the airspeed the canopy is flying at. it creates lift in the direction the wing is pointing... kinda / that way.... upwards. the canopy doesn't sink if the airspeed is kept up and therefore the lift doesn't degenerate... it's all about momentum, airspeed, lift, and knowing the canopy your flying inside out.

there are a few cool drills you can do at altitude, ask someone who quietly knows how to fly there canopy at the DZ, a crew dog or this guy you saw carving...

good luck with it all man, canopy flight is the future!

Or when a brake line goes. I've seen that one. It's absolutely amazing how far and violently a human body gets flung when the shit goes down. Water was the hero that day.