DarekKay

Static line exit - how to improve?

So I finally started my skydiving adventure - the ordinary way (static line), no AFF. My problem is that I just cannot perform a decent exit (which of course is required to start doing "real" jumps). In my head it's pretty obvious, how my body should look like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/craigjewell/3040052380/

It looks quite well on the ground, but I just cannot perform it on the airplane. Here is my third attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am1XW8ZAR-4
And here's a photo of another jump: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1901785/staticlinecrouch.jpg

Every single jump (4 so far) ends in a crouch. I'm not really sure, how I can improve my exit. Do you have any hints? Either mental (I'm not really scared, but still very nervous) or physical (any particular technique, I could try?).

Thanks in advance!

Looks like the jumps are off a big fore-aft step on a rear door C-206, something like that? (A step like that seen on Porters.)

Somehow you have to get your mind working right on exit to do that little hop off the step sideways (while still crouched), and then punch out into whatever variant of arch they have taught you. Hop off and punch forward your hips, kick the legs back, get the arms out.

The standard way to do something like that in the air is to practice it a whole bunch on the ground. So that no matter what you brain is thinking -- "Scheisse!", "I'm falling!" or just blanking out with all the unexpected sensory input -- when you do a little hop off a step like that, you'll punch into the arch instinctively. Practice it at the drop zone, practice it at home too (as long as you know you already have the technique right).

Now that you've done a few jumps already, the problems on exit may just be more of a mental distraction, nagging your mind. But at the same time, the good thing is that you're getting used to jumping out of a plane, flying a parachute, and landing safely. Thinking of it that way, that should help make it easier to focus mentally only on the exit, during the exit.

OK. For a start, 206's ARE tricky to do a good exit from on SL.. .And internet coaching isn't easy.

In this case, the step is part of the problem. Its way too big and is forcing your feet into an unnatural position. You have a problem which is not all of your own making.

The key to the whole thing is your left hand. Put it down on the doorsill, and prepare to use it in the same way you would vaulting a fence, with one hand on top of the post. You need to launch yourself off your left hand.

Hang your legs back as far as they will go keeping them OFF the step. Get that left hand hard down on the door sill, ready to launch yourself sideways into the prop blast.

Swivel your body sideways so you are facing as far forward as you can get, you should be sitting on the edge of your left bum cheek. Chest into the prop blast.

Get your head back as far as you can (you should be looking at the top corner of the door sill,)

Arch your chest and belly as much as you can so you are in as good a body position as possible, while still in the door....leaning forwards, pushing your legs back will help..

On the "go", punch yourself out sideways into the prop blast, at the same time snapping into that arch. You have to be really aggressive with the push from your left hand, as I said, imagine vaulting a fence with your left hand on the top of a post. You have to be aggressive to miss that step.

Normally this works fine from a 206, in this case you'll have to be super aggresive to clear that step, which is the problem.

I think that step makes the plane totally unsuitable for SL exits. Its way too big. We had a normal step on ours, and SL students kept their feet off it.

That one you have makes it tricky. I'd be surprised if many students do good SL exits from it, if any. I bet the average number of jumps before being cleared for FF is way above the average using that plane, which should be 5 or 6 at most.

Tell your instructors that I said to take that step off. Its causing unstable exits, I guarantee not just for you. And that can lead to problems.

( Don't be surprised if they absolutely refuse to remove that step, that would be an admission they got it wrong. It is OK for other jumpers, just not SL)

And practise your exits on the ground, lots. Its free. Going from your sitting position, to snapping into that arch.

Good luck....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

There are a lot of things that could be improved. But as I see it, the best thing you can do is to kick your legs back and arch as if it was a matter of life and death (which it almost is). If you look at your legs, they are bent and your knees are lifted in front of you.
The transition from sitting position to freefall position can be tricky and especially with that step below the door.
If it had been a C-182, you would be hanging in the strut, which I'm happy that my students get to do, because the freefall position is basically there before they let go. But keep on training :)

first thing I notice is that you look VERY tense, and then the step is rather large. Since nothing can be done about the step. I suggest using it as best you can. What I mean is, instead of kinda rolling from your seated position, really push out with you legs. Doing this, it will get you out of the crouched position and almost get your legs behind you. Your arms seem to be in almost the right place other then the clenched fists. If your fist are clenched, it is usually a good indicator that you aren't relaxed. So, here is my suggestion for exit. Left butt cheek on the edge of the plane, left hand on door frame, both feet on the step(pointing towards the prop if you can), on exit push out,not up, with your legs and push your pelvis out really hard while slightly rotating to put your chest in the wind. Arms out and head up. You should be watching the plane fly away from you. I know it sounds like alot, but with practice you can turn it into one fluid movement. Good luck, hope this helps.

You need to arch. Both exits show you bent forward at the waist, and this is backwards. You need to trust the arch and push your hips foward. A good tip is to think about tightening up your butt muscles like you're trying to hold back a dump.

Stand up right now, and tighten your butt muscles and then try to bend forward at the waist. You can't do it because your body doesn't work that way, so if you squeeze your butt musceles together, there's no way you'll be bent forward at the waist.

Beyond that, your arm and leg positions can be 'tuned up' as your jumps go on, but you have to have that basic arch down before they're going to let you advance (for good reason).

If you do anything, think about that one manuver, tightening your butt muscles, once you leave the plane and just do that.

Truth is, you're facing the right way and not rolling fore or aft, or off to one side, so clear up the arch thing you should be ready to move on.

I had the same struggles during my static line progression - legs searching for ground. Jumping out of a plane is not something that comes instinctively to land mammals! Keep at it - as you get more comfortable, it is easier to be more aware and in control of your body position.

I'm a new jumper in no position to offer specific jump advice, so I'll just say this: It does get easier!

I'm doing SL as well but from a 182 which is a lot easier. If im wrong someone correct me but i found that if you keep your eyes on the wing of the plane it helps. Instructor told me too, it helped a lot.
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.”

Disclaimer: I am not an instructor.

But I did learn on S/L out of a C-206. The trick I was taught was to throw you head back and keep your eyes on the plane. It is almost impossible to go into the fetal position with your head back.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Wow, thanks for all your answers! That's a lot of things I should keep in mind, and I guess frequent ground training should help me to make one fluid movement out of those things without really thinking about them. But it's really encouraging to know it's not ALL my fault :)

On my first couple of unlinked AFF jumps I was a bit unstable sliding down the hill. It wasn't until one of my instructors gave me some simple advice to look up at the plane that it all clicked. Looking up keeps your chin up and starts your arch without you even thinking about it. It may not be as obvious on a static line jump (with the minimal delay and all) but it helped me alot in AFF.

Wow, thanks for all your answers! That's a lot of things I should keep in mind, and I guess frequent ground training should help me to make one fluid movement out of those things without really thinking about them. But it's really encouraging to know it's not ALL my fault :)

What feedback did your SL instructor give you after the jump?

Also, given all the advice here and knowing how difficult it is to get everything right at once I would suggest that you think arch, arch, arch before anything else. Looking up is important and having an as good as possible position in the door is a big advantage but those efforts are pretty much pointless if you fail to arch properly.

If you keep having problems with making yourself actually arch, perhaps it would help to practice the exit from the side of a swimming pool, or from a trampoline. Training on the ground is very limited in that your feet will be securely on the ground and the feeling of standing is obviously completely different from falling. Jumping into something less solid than ground could help.

When I did static line I was positioned squatting in the door of the plane how I should be on the outside so it was just a matter of moving from inside to outside.

You are sitting on the step in the same position that you are when you are in freefall - seated with knees up - hey you're almost sitflying the exit (which is very advanced and you should be proud...). it's easy for people to just say 'arch' but not so easy to put into practise. Perhaps you could discuss a poised exit from the aircraft with your instructors that is slightly different from the seated one you are doing.

To be clear - I fucking hated SL. You are thrown around by the prop wash, whilst trying to hold a position and then on to dummy pull etc. wich is a head fuck. I believe your best bet would be to cut losses, save and get yourself into an AFF programme but if not possible then do persevere. It is worth it.

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people