Navigator 240 (9), 220 (8) <-- Rentals
PD 210 (1) <-- Rental which I think was F111
Hornet 210 (8) <-- Rental
Sabre2 170 (18) <-- Was mine...sold it in late 2003

Malfunctions:
None

Winds today (included in case it may be relevant to what happened):
250 @ 5kt IIRC

Today I rented and jumped the PD 210. I did a couple of aggressive spirals under canopy without issue (I deployed at 6500ft). I've never had issues with aggressive toggle turns. I've gone full right to full left with all canopies I've jumped and never felt any weirdness.

At 2000 feet, normal full-flight, heading 040 (only reason I know is because I was parallel with runway), I dropped the right toggle hard in an effort to make a snappy 180 (which I've done many times before...without issue). It felt like the turn started in the first second...then it felt weird. It felt like I was falling, with my back towards the ground and the canopy looked like it was parallel with my body but out to my left a bit. I felt my body rotating to the right in the harness.

I grabbed the rear risers and resisted the rotation. No twists occurred and the canopy returned to normal flight quickly. I checked (for at least the third time) that the canopy was SSS. No lineovers or other deformities were evident.

This was the STRANGEST sensation I've ever had when skydiving. I can't describe it, but it felt "wrong."

I've gotten input from a highly experienced and respected individual who suggested that I'd stalled the right portion of the canopy, resulting in what I experienced.

I've read an article on static, dynamic and accelerated stalls (by Quade) which may apply somehow in my situation.

I'm just looking for opinions on what happened. It didn't totally freak me out...but it was very strange and at least slightly discomforting. It's probably a common thing to most...but it's not to me which is why I'm asking.

You probably stalled one side of the canopy (the side you pulled down on the toggle) and the other side flew around the stalled side.

Find the stall point on the canopy with both toggles. If that is how far you pulled down the one toggle, you'll know for sure.

Derek

I had a similar experience...what I learned from it is that snappy turns can lead to collapsed cells.

Try being smoother in your inputs to achieve the same effect, a smoother toggle input (not so quick, will give you more controlabilty and less desire for the canopy to collapse/ spin up.

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.