NewClearSports

40 sq/ft Cobalt & Wingsuit docking

Hey,
Just wanted to brag about friends from my home DZ. Skydive Burnaby located in Wainfleet Canada. This past weekend on July 31st, we had Curtis flying a 40 sq/Ft Comp Cobalt have a sucessful dock (Caught on Video) on the back of a Sam flying wingsuit. It was just awsome to watch. The intentional cutaways of the 40 sq/ft Cobalt were very cool to watch too.
I don't know how common this is with the large US DZ's, but I wouldn't be surprized if this was the 1st time it was done in Canada.
Anybody know of it being done in Canada before this?

I don't know how common this is with the large US DZ's,

Click HERE to see footage of this being done last year.

When you get a chance, post the video of the dock you mentioned on Skydiving videos. :)
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Hey,
Just wanted to brag about friends from my home DZ. Skydive Burnaby located in Wainfleet Canada. This past weekend on July 31st, we had Curtis flying a 40 sq/Ft Comp Cobalt have a sucessful dock (Caught on Video) on the back of a Sam flying wingsuit. It was just awsome to watch. The intentional cutaways of the 40 sq/ft Cobalt were very cool to watch too.
I don't know how common this is with the large US DZ's, but I wouldn't be surprized if this was the 1st time it was done in Canada.
Anybody know of it being done in Canada before this?

Congrats to your friends. Bet they are still grinning. That is SO cool.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

we had Curtis flying a 40 sq/Ft Comp Cobalt have a sucessful dock (Caught on Video) on the back of a Sam flying wingsuit.

Sweet! Is that this Sam? Surprised he hasn't posted about it in the wingsuit forum!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

yeah, that's me... :)
under 600 skydives - yes, barely, the jump with the dock would be number 596

admittedly this is low jump numbers for any kind complicated jump, but in my defense::)

- Curtis has a LOT of jumps and it was his call as to how close he wanted to get
- it was the 4th jump in a series, the first two he used a Stiletto 98
- of my 596 skydives, 188 are in a wingsuit, 170 are in my S3 I did that with and all the S3 jumps have been in the past year
- I'm fairly proficient at flying my S3, I'm consistently doing 2:30 to 3:10 from 14000ft to 3000ft and most of my wingsuit jumps have been flocks.
- if you count my basejumps too, I have 740 jumps.... :P

I'll make the effort to try and slap together a little clip and post it.

kinda low on motivation right now, just found out about Piers and Egon last night.... [:/]

cya
sam

PS - no outside video, only video from Curtis' P.O.V. and my P.O.V. :S

soon to be gone

Any update on seeing the video from this? We all saw the posted pictures which leads me to ask. Did they just fly by each other or was an actual dock made by the wingsuit on the canopy pilot? From the pictures it looks like the wingsuit just flew by the canopy.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

had PC problems recently and I'm busy as a motherF*er at work, so no real progress on the video yet :(

as for the dock, the wingsuit did not dock on the canopy pilot, :o

the canopy pilot docked on the wingsuit :D

I flew in, we flew relative and I sideslid up to Curtis' side and just in front and just flew steady

Curtis then flew the canopy in and docked his foot on my butt, just below the rig.

(the plan is for him to walk along my back or surf me, but that's a few jumps away)

so, you can't see the dock on my video and his foot is out of frame on Curtis' too

to be quite frank, we did not fly the dock, it was quite short, but we did fly very close for a large portion of the skydive

hope that helps your curiousity!

cya
sam

soon to be gone

I think it was first done in 2002 by Jari/Vladi. But did Vladi land the canopy used for the dock?

Jari and Vladi did do it first , as far as I know, and Vladi did land the canopy. It was a 98 if I remember correctly with weight and riser blocks.

we did fly very close for a large portion of the skydive

very Cool, I look forward to seeing the footage from that.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

hey Chuck

any idea what Vladi's wingloading would've been?

Curtis wasn't wearing any weight (except if you count his camera helmet - it's pretty heavy), which he said put him at about 6:1 on the 40...

I saw pro-track numbers in the low 50 mph TAS region for this jump.

I regularly fly in the 45 mph region for pro-track TAS on solos, but that requires more forward speed than the 40 had, so I had to put the 'brakes' on a little and Curtis basically hung on the front risers to match glide angle.

soon to be gone

BEEEAUTIFFULL!!!!!!!!!!!
two friends of mine just did same down here in SA.
i think its great
congratulations - hope you enjoyed.

hey Chris!

care to share the names of your friends?

it's a small world... (say hi to tonto and Taya, and I hope your sis is still progressing with her recovery - I was on a Sentinel load with her when she just started going stowed) like I said, it's a small world!!

I'm planning to be back 'home' for the African Freefall Convention - hope to get some quality flocking in then.

cya
sam

soon to be gone

Any update on seeing the video from this? We all saw the posted pictures which leads me to ask. Did they just fly by each other or was an actual dock made by the wingsuit on the canopy pilot? From the pictures it looks like the wingsuit just flew by the canopy.

yeah dude

finally got around to posting the video, it's the last section of this clip

hope you're not dissapointed...

Hi Sam,

Taya was playing with Rob at the Boom yesterday. She was in the mid 35's on her GTI, as her S3-S is off at the riggers getting extra stuff done to it.

I think Rob's on a 78? Loading is around 3.0. They were nowhere near a dock, but she was ghosting him round the outside of a turn he induced to increase the decent rate. (and so help her out.)

I think she can go slower than 35 in the S3-S... but then there's too much forward speed... Ah, Life's little problems!:D

t
It's the year of the Pig.

She was in the mid 35's on her GTI, as her S3-S is off at the riggers getting extra stuff done to it.

holy crap that's slow for a GTi !

what is she getting done to her S3S ? I'm all curious.

I think Rob's on a 78? Loading is around 3.0

Was he flying a prototype Parachute Systems crossbrace? I seem to remember him jumping that at the AFFC. I'm wondering how the development is coming along?

They were nowhere near a dock, but she was ghosting him round the outside of a turn he induced to increase the decent rate. (and so help her out.)

yeah dude, we did the same thing with the 40, especially if you get some seperation, it helps get back close

I think she can go slower than 35 in the S3-S... but then there's too much forward speed... Ah, Life's little problems!:D

No doubt she'll go slower in S3S - but then the problem would be finding anyone who could keep up!

wingsuits are so much fun, especially if you're into trying things

two of my favourite wingsuits things at the moment are wingsuit-wingsuit rodeos and hanging-backfly-exits from wingstruts

cya
sam