Kimblair13

Order of canopies....

Brian Burke made an interesting comment about jump numbers the last time I talked to him, "What does having thousands of jumps really mean? Well... you know how to pull."

So true, so true ...

Bryan Burke is an awesome person to talk to about skydiving. I wish I could tape into his brain more than the few isolated times I have actually talked with him. But one of my favorite quotes from Bryan (in reference to a bad spot at a big boogie where the idea of a go around was non-existent) was ...

"If you don't like the spot, it's not getting any better". :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

this man knows whats up, i always like to see people trying to learn how to swoop on the bigger canopies, why do you have to go smaller to learn how to swoop, learn it on a 190 so that you have room to fuck up. and it is made easy by the fact that canopy manufacturers are making ellipticals in bigger sizes now. so that you can learn what you are doing on something with a lot of play in it. if you wait to start swooping on your crossfire 119 you are in a lot more trouble than if you start learning on your crossfire 169. thats just my opinion. and why is it that everyone thinks you have to wait till you're under an elliptical to start swooping, start learning on your sabre 190. i just think that if you know you are going to start swooping you should start the learning at a lower wingloading and on bigger canopies with a greater ability to get you out of the trouble you are going to get into when learning how to swoop

the other thing that ticks me is that people seem to want to make fun of people flying bigger canopies. this is completely adding to the problem of people downsizing too fast. you show up at a dropzone with anything bigger than a 150 and you are doing tandems or some shit like that. i dont have too many jumps, a little over 700, but i have already seen enough people pushing their buddies to go smaller and faster than they are ready for, get coaching from the beginning, start learning how to swoop when you are under a canopy that can help you out, and have a coach help you from the beginning so that you are assured you are making progress and not just setting yourself up for a broken femur or worse.
just my little rant for the day

The only bad skydive is your last!
chris "sonic wookie" harwell
Piedra-belluda-roja Rodriguez

i always like to see people trying to learn how to swoop on the bigger canopies, why do you have to go smaller to learn how to swoop, learn it on a 190 so that you have room to fuck up.

I've come close to femuring three times I think (maybe four). The first two times occurred a few summers ago when I had about 300ish jumps and I was flying my Sabre2 170 and yes I think jumping the bigger 170 was what saved my ass. And then last spring on a sunset load jumping a Velocity 111 I was determined to make some red entry gates, I took too long to acquire the gates and burned up altitude in the process (red on a sunset load was not easy to find) and was able to dig myself out of my grave at the last possible second. I also had a close call during one of our early summer CPC competitions where I should have just aborted a poor approach because not only did I score a zero anyway on that round, but I put my health and the health of someone else on the ground at jeopardy by this botched approach.

High performance canopy flight rocks!!! But it's very unforgiving of the errors that we make up there and yes when learning canopy flight, it's much better to make these mistakes under a somewhat forgiving canopy.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

You know there are other people who build perfectly good parachutes and have good costomer service and offer all the same colors and features.

Open your eyes, look around, see a bigger broader world.

large 7/9 cell
medium 7/9 cell
medium 9 cell
small 9 cell
medium cross brace
small cross brace

i know someone at my dropzone that was like that he has around 200 jumps weighs 10 pounds more than me and started jumping a 135 at 90 something jumps with no real coaching. People always talk about me cause i don't hide the fact i want to learn stuff and doing stuff. He is jumping 119 crossfires and 119 safires and hooking them in and he has only done a few jumps on them. I know i haven't been around long but i think it is the people who keep to themselves about thier canopy progression that are gonna kill themselves before the ones who are out there saying what they want to do and what they are doing. He scares the shit out of me and i have been known scare the shit out of others. Just be really carefull with the progression that you take and make sure the people around you not just one person are comfortable with your canopy downsizing.

Davelepka(sp?) told me something really important your instructers and coaches can still give you bad advice so be really carefull.

Just so i stay on topic my canopy progression was:

student 292 25 jumps (not sure what it was, was something chris steven's made)
Sabre 190 15 jumps
sabre 170 130 jumps
sabre 150 4 jumps
stilleto 150 4 jumps
cobalt 135 15 jumps
Not downsizing from here for at least 300 jumps

Scotty,

Be careful.. You can be in the sport for an entire lifetime, but one mistake early in your career can end it. You will be loading the stiletto 135 at 1.48.. Considered by most, High performance/expert range. At 100 jumps you might be pushing a bit. Just food for thought not critisism. Good luck be safe. AFFI

Matt, thats insightful, thank you.. :S

Dave, 1. Yes I am, the only reason I am downsizing the way I am is that my instructor is really helping me out and feels confident with me, He is basically telling me when to downsize and what to go to. He is making all the calls.

I call BS on this, what DZO would let you jump a Stilleto @ 1.4+ with 100 jumps... and besides what canopy coach of any credabilty would recommend it.. Now dont get me wrong, I couldn't care less what you deside to do, and what canopy you fly, but dude you have no business flying that canopy, but hey there your bones, and its your call..

Tell you what when you get your stilleto come to Picton, we have some excellent canopy pilots, but just dont expect to be allowed to jump...

just so its out there, my progression so far (approx)..

Student 240 @ 0.6... 20 jumps
Spectre 170 @ 0.9 .... 180 jumps (started to do 90s front riser turns, and dug myslef in, luckily nothing broken, but big lesson learnt)
Sabre 150 @ 1.0 .... 140 Jumps (progressed 90s to 180s)
Safire 134 @ 1.14 .... 200 Jumps (canopy I learnt to swoop, 180s to 270s surfin the turf)
Safire 119 @ 1.3 .... 70 Jumps
Safire 107 @ 1.42 ... 15 Jumps

In january I will be ordering Crossfire 11 99 (1.55WL) when i will at least have another 100 jumps on my current canopy...

I have had a bunch of canopy coaching, and recently spend a day with JC at Perris, which was awesome...
-----------------------------------------------------------
--+ There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.. --+

My progression, not quite textbook...

I'm roughly 200 exit weight.
Hickster 240 (4 Jumps)
Sabre 190 (15 jumps)
Sabre 170 (30 jumps)
Sabre 150 (16 jumps & still jumping)
--
Stiletto 135 (within the next 50 jumps)

He's mine. It's a little different from yours. ;)
Exit weight around 190.

50 jumps on rounds.
20 jumps on a Viking Super lite 240 (5 Cell)
Started swooping
+- 600 jumps on 220 7 cells, broke femur after being caught in the corner at 150 jumps.
150 jumps on a Swift 177 (5 cell)
150 on a Reflex 150
200 on a Perigrine 150 (crossbrace Excalibur copy)
1200 on a Jonathan 120
800 on a Stilleto 107/Safire 109

Other stuff

750 Tandems
750 CRW dives on 150 AR-7's, 132 Matrix's & 130 Rubis, all with front riser assisted landings.

One day I may be ready for a Velocity, but there are just a few things I need to work out first. ;)

t
It's the year of the Pig.