conor

Carving Technique

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of experienced canopy pilots on the best way to carve a canopy on landing.

1. Would you simply carry the turn from the dive into the carve or would you allow the canopy to level off first?
2. If you level off first, would you level off at your normal height, or slightly lower?
3. What is the best form of input to carve the canopy?
4. If you're doing it right, what distance should you cover, compared to a normal distance run?
5. Whatbank angle would you be at?
6. What are the main safety issues to watch out for?

I would nomally level off first before starting the carve (but slightly lower than, say, if I was going for distance - which for me is about 4-5 seconds after completing my turn). I would give input on the rears and harness, switching to toggles to get the canopy back over my head. I might only cover about a third to half of the distance I would get on a normal distance run. This is carving about 45-90 degrees.

I'm currently jumping a Velocity 90 loaded at about 1.95.

Thanks
Conor

Interesting to hear your thoughts. I also jump a Velo 90.

OK, speed is everything here. Good speed - often a good carve. And to your questions:
1. I find it hard to carry the turn from a dive and into a carv. I have to level off first.
2. I level off at my usual height.
3. I find it good to combine harness and back risers as I understand you also do.
4. On the first round of the European Swooping Tour we had here at Voss in Norway in June, Jay Moledsky flew 91,60 meters in a carv-distance course with about a 60 degree angle on the course. So then, on such an angle we do about 2/3 of regular strait course distance.
5. Look at picture (foto9.jpg)...
6. As I see it. Dont carv to high. Have enough power to level of after the carv. Think before you do it, and dont push your limits to much. Keep practicing - I do(Sony20 009mini.jpg) :D