skyboyblue

south dakota fatality

Whether or not that's what happened here, it's a real problem. I had a jump in cold weather once where my heavy gloves got in the way. I had two lost grips on my PC handle before the third attempt worked. One more slip and I would have given up and gone for silver.

Clumsy gloves are a BAD idea. Now I use Neumann tackified gloves. They GRIP.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

Thin scuba diving gloves work great, neoprene has a great gripping feel and is ULTRA warm. Not too expensive either
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

some of the experienced jumpers at Eloy pointed out a possible problem with neoprene gloves..they 'stick' to themselves rather easily and could bunch up in your dive loops, risers/toggles and trap your fingers much easier than normal gloves.

a couple even mentioned it having happened to them, luckly not in critical situations, but it was enough to turn me off of them.

Neuman winter sports gloves for about $35 or Isotoner winter gloves (with the suade grips) for about $20 provide good tactile sensation and secure grip. If you can pick up a quarter with the gloves, they should work well for jumping. Always try and see how the new gear feels before using it on a jump (PRCPs on the ground).
Hearts & Minds
2 to the Heart-
1 to the Mind-
Home of the Coconut Lounge, Spa, & Artillery Range

This is why I wear gloves year round. so there is no difference in feel during the winter....I wear winter weight gloves year round for the most part. sometimes on really hot days in the summer I will wear the summer weights.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

So sad for his family and for us all.

It never mentions jump number, or if any handles were out at all.

It feels like a high number of fatalities for this year, be careful out there people.

as for gloves,,, i can't stand to not be able to get my hands in my toggles easily and quickly, I wear only gloves with open fingers. Works for me.

Bill

have fun, love life, be nice to the humans

Fred experienced a P/C in tow. He had probably experienced the same problem before, as on the way to the DZ he had talked to another jumper about getting a new pilot chute.

The main did finally deploy, however, he had cut-away while towing the P/C. The main detached at this point. (No RSL) Note: The USPA recommended procedure for a P/C in tow is to deploy the reserve without cutting away.

He continued in FF for 1 to 2 seconds before initiating the reserve deployment sequence. The reserve reached line stretch just prior to impact.

Fred was wearing heavy gloves, but had worn the same type for years with no problems. While this could have created a problem with pulling the reserve ripcord handle, it is just speculation. I believe the Sheriff's office used the gloves as a possible explanation because it was something they could understand.

Fred was jumping a Stewart Systems Sweethog built in 1985. No RSL, No Cypress. He had over 4000 jumps and had been in the sport since 1976. Fred was always giving back to the sport, and enjoyed helping new jumpers. He will be deeply missed.

Don't know if I should put this in Gear and Rigging, but as the subject is discussed here...
If You really need gloves that can be used in very cold climate, I'd recommend trying Yoko GoreTex Windstopper fleece gloves with leather palms. Yes, they cost a bit (about 60$ in Finland). I've done some 2 1/2 minutes skyflying jumps with them when it was 0C on ground and -25C in 13500ft, but with warm hands.

Vesa

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)