marks

So who is interested in swooping, but afraid to post? promise,nobody will bite..

If using an HMA line in the cascaded configuration, what is the weakest point? Is it the straight stitch that is causing the reduced lifespan, or is it just the fact that they are using a weaker tensile strengthed line? If it is the stitch that is causing the problem why don't you use the racer knot at the cascade? Is it not strong enough to hold the cascade together?

We had a guy pull the pin and drop the spoon on one to indicate a dust devil. He tossed it a few feet in front of him. After a few seconds it hadn't done anything, so he went over and picked the damn thing up and looked at the bottom. It then decided to fire, and blew slag all over him. It scared the shit out of the dude, and he jumped about 6' in the air while tossing the grenade at the same time. He's an O-5 now.

...Is it due to a different type of HMA then?

There are currently several braids of HMA being used for lines, and several tensile strengths. I think PD is having the HMA they use done in the USA, and what we use us made in Germany.

We use a combination of two HMA line types on our canopies, 160 kg and 200 kg. If you were to line a canopy using only 200, the lineset would last many times longer than the 160 does, but of course it is bigger. Maybe if you were to build a cascaded lineset from 200 (or about 450 lbs) it would go about 300 jumps, that sounds reasonable. And the PD team I'm sure is using 160 (about 350 lbs) and that's why they get only the number of jumps they do.

There are also different braids, typically 12-carrier and 16-carrier, which will also affect longevity. I don't know who is using what (other than what we use), so I won't speculate on that.

If using an HMA line in the cascaded configuration, what is the weakest point? Is it the straight stitch that is causing the reduced lifespan, or is it just the fact that they are using a weaker tensile strengthed line? If it is the stitch that is causing the problem why don't you use the racer knot at the cascade? Is it not strong enough to hold the cascade together?

As I have no experience in building cascaded linesets with Technora (HMA), this is pure speculation. But my hunch is that the insertion point at the cascade gets "reamed out" because the B line and D lines pull outward from the A and C lines. On a continuous lineset, the direction of pull of any finger trapped line is parallel to the line itself.

when is a good time to go to a cross-braced? i was "swooping" (i.e. gaining speed by using front risers to get to final since 50 jumps.) I have been flying elipticals for the last 250.

what is a good cross-braced to start on.

I want to see you on the CPC, but i don't want to die doing it.;)

for the Xaos series canopies they require "a minimum of 500 elliptical ram-air jumps experience within 15% of the manufacturer's Maximum"

I think this is for a reason

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I have been slowly getting into playing with my front risers closer to the ground. I have only been doing 90's into final and I am still trying to dial in my crossfire 2. Most of the time right now I am coming out of the dive about 50-100 feet too high. I am trying to work it lower. I am doing a long, slow carving turn (a tip I got from an instructor). I pull down the front riser slowly and then slowly let it up. I try to be either one of the 1st people down or the last to make sure I have enough airspace around me to do so. Am I approaching swooping in the correct manner? How many 90's should I be looking to do before I move on (200? 300?)? The only swoopers at my DZ are the camera guys and they hard to get advice from.

I have been slowly getting into playing with my front risers closer to the ground. I have only been doing 90's into final and I am still trying to dial in my crossfire 2. Most of the time right now I am coming out of the dive about 50-100 feet too high. I am trying to work it lower. I am doing a long, slow carving turn (a tip I got from an instructor). I pull down the front riser slowly and then slowly let it up. I try to be either one of the 1st people down or the last to make sure I have enough airspace around me to do so. Am I approaching swooping in the correct manner? How many 90's should I be looking to do before I move on (200? 300?)? The only swoopers at my DZ are the camera guys and they hard to get advice from.

Now I know you come to the ranch as I think we have met....

come up and get some video done, there are many good competent swoopers/people who are good teachers there...

Ask around with some of the swoopers there someone will be willing to teach you a few things...shit we might even jump with ya....

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I have been to the Ranch twice and both times it has been way to windy to jump (plus once it was the swooping competition). I really want to get up there since I want to grab skinner for some coach jumps and now I might have to add some canopy coaching too. I really need to make it a priority to get up there!

So you watched me pound into the raft eh?

http://www.laszloimage.com/RanchSwoop%2006/pages/IMG_8750.htm

I know we are doing something fun canopy wise at the ranch this year...but much like the rest of the dropzone we are not quite sure what it is yet...

Cheers
Dave

So you watched me pound into the raft eh?

http://www.laszloimage.com/RanchSwoop%2006/pages/IMG_8750.htm

I know we are doing something fun canopy wise at the ranch this year...but much like the rest of the dropzone we are not quite sure what it is yet...

Cheers
Dave

lol! Dude I will so be up there. I am going to try to make it to different places atleast 1-2 weekends a month. The Ranch just has a much bigger fun jumper crowd.