marks

So who is interested in swooping, but afraid to post? promise,nobody will bite..

I've jumped a Nitro loaded at 1.9:1 and regularly jump a XF2 149 loaded at 1.9:1.

Although the Nitro was a fun canopy...well, the best comparison I could give you would be an inbetween canopy between a Sabre2 and a Stiletto, in terms of flight characteristics, recovery arc and in overall high-performance flight.

That would not be a choice, IMO, coming from a XF2. Now, coming from a Sabre1 or if you wanted something just a bit sportier then a Sabre2 but not something like a Stiletto or a XF2 or such, then sure.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have 750 jumps and will be going from a Stilleto 120 at a w/l 1.7 to a Samurai 120. I can consistently swoop to stilleto without having to dig my ass out. How should I go about starting to swoop the Samurai. Start small and build up? I/E 45 to 90's and so on or how should I go about it?
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

at high high speeds it becomes dificult to controll.

Completely incorrect. What do you mean difficult to control? I'm loading my xf2 at 2.0. In no way shape or form is it difficult to control. If you think any loaded canopy is "difficult" to control you need to upsize QUICKLY.

Please elaborate...

Rhino

How should I go about starting to swoop the Samurai

going from a stilletto to a samurai, i beliveve the samurai recovery arc is alot longer than the stilletto, i havent jumped it though. but most canopy's recovery arc now days are longer than the stilletto. so be carefull, if your doing turns do that alot higher, once you start getting comfy with the canopy, be carefull not to get to cocky with it and put yourself in a bad situation... i dont know much about the samurai at all though, except for the fact that it is high performance and it is an airlock.

Completely incorrect. What do you mean difficult to control?

it cannot be completely incorrect if you dont know what i mean.

maybee i should have used a different term. riser pressure toggle pressure and harness pressure become greater on just about any canopy iv'e jumped, making it more difficult to control .... "yup that is a bad term"...

example

your flying a stiletto, you do a long carving 270 and build up alot of speed. but you realized you turned to high... what are you going to do?, because of the shorter recovery arc you plain out to high and maybe even start to gain altitude, well to correct this you might think you would pull on the front risers to "control" the decent better. well anyone who has had this happen to the will tell you that the riser pressure gets so "intense" that you cannot, at least not till your airspeed slows down and the pressure reduces...

make more sense?. definitely bad terminology, but it is the internet, so thats what you get...

That is what i am jumping dave a nitro 135. I get longer and faster swoops compared to my sabe2 150. Loading the nitro at about 2:1 haven't weighed in a while...lol Love LoveLove the landings and the flare. Its an awesome canopy:)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

OK Back on track...

How about the HMA lines on canopy's? Precision has been using a non-cascaded HMA lineset for the past couple of years. It seems as if some people are using HMA to reduce drag in the swooping enviroment but these linesets are not lasting as long (150 jumps) as the Precision is saying their linesets last (500+). So what is the deal with the HMA

It seems as if some people are using HMA to reduce drag in the swooping enviroment but these linesets are not lasting as long (150 jumps) as the Precision is saying their linesets last (500+). So what is the deal with the HMA

Just like Vectran and other line types there are different types of HMA. The ones that are lasting 100 or so jumps are much, much thinner than the HMA that lasts longer.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hey, I downsized from a stiletto 120 to a samurai 105 and then put a couple of hundred jumps on the sam. I've some stuff on the comparison. Just do a search of my username (I don't have THAT many posts), or of "samurai stiletto".

But in brief: the samurai will have a lot longer recovery arc and the front riser pressure is a LOT lighter. Still fast and responsive like the stiletto. 1st rule about the switch to the samurai: START HIGHER. :>

-R

I have 750 jumps and will be going from a Stilleto 120 at a w/l 1.7 to a Samurai 120. I can consistently swoop to stilleto without having to dig my ass out. How should I go about starting to swoop the Samurai. Start small and build up? I/E 45 to 90's and so on or how should I go about it?

You be the king and I'll overthrow your government. --KRS-ONE

making it more difficult to control

Ah... You mean for the NOVICE or beginning canopy pilot :P

I find that the more I load a canopy the easier they are to control in every aspect. Dive, Turn, Lift, Speed, Snappiness (GOOD)..

I love fast, twitchy, hard diving canopies. Very easy to control vs a Triathlon at 1.2 :)

:o

i have to wear 100 lbs to get that thing loaded like you?

do you realize $ how much lead is?

OWWWW my knees...

I got 25lbs you can borrow but don't let it sink to the bottom of the pond.....

I wanna swoop Teach me how shimell

no joke you could give some coaching so i dont hurt me self. i wanna be swooping in the next couple years...
Pruitt

Skydive The Farm

Has anyone swooped a pond with smoke on their feet, if so, what happens when smoke gets wet? Does the water put out the smoke, or does the canister stay smoking with a little water contact? with alot of water contact? with water splashes? or fully submerged? Should you jump with two canisters on one foot or one canister on each foot if you would like to use two? What are the best toe drags on water for wearing smoke? Thanks all all the info guys,

The military smoke burns rather hot. We always had two grenades per smoke bracket (per foot). We alway's wore boots when using smoke too, as the military smokes burned hot, and they produced a lot of slag. Slag would put little tiny holes in your canopy if your smoke was burning during opening. It would also change the color of your canopy. White turned pink as we usually used red smoke. Red was the most visible. Green, and yellow's don't contrast against the blue sky as well. We didn't smoop our smokes into the water, so I'm not sure how well they would work under water, but I'm sure they would work somehow. I would think that your odjective of swooping with smoke is to not get submerged, and if you are dipping your entire foot into the water, then you will probably have a really short swoop, and that's not what we want, is it? If you are going to use the military smoke then you need to have a bracket securing these to your leg and foot. Just taping it to your shoe isn't a good idea. They are heavy and hot, and might burn through tape. You don't want to drop one of these, as it looks like someone is going in, and also they can start a fire where they land. Being blamed for starting another Haymen fire because you dropped a smoke wouldn't shed a positive light on the sport.

Grant

...there are different types of HMA. The ones that are lasting 100 or so jumps are much, much thinner than the HMA that lasts longer.

Actually, Ian, that isn't true. The reason that the HMA only lasts a few jumps on the PD team canopies is because they are making cascaded linesets with HMA, and the wear points are the cascades. When you use the same small HMA and build continuous lines they last as long as any other lineset. For example, the Nitro uses 160 kg HMA and I see a thousand jumps between lineset changes all the time.

Fair enough Beezy, you know more about that stuff than I, but I heard that PD are releasing cascaded HMA with a targeted lifespan of 300+ jumps. I'm hearing it's thicker than the stuff the teams get (but hey the rumor mill isn't exactly a good source of info!) so I'm wondering how they lengthen the lifespan then?

Also Joe B has close to 400 in his cascaded HMA set that he made for his 90.

<--confused [:/]

edit: Is it due to a different type of HMA then?

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

That's like dropping glow sticks on night jumps. It usually made the ground crew a little nervous. We often used the avaiator NVG's for ground crew on night jumps. They were really sensitive, and we were able to pick up the jumpers glowsticks on the ground when they were in freefall.

does the canister stay smoking with a little water contact? with alot of water contact? with water splashes? or fully submerged?

You can toss a military smoke grenade into the water and it'll still work just fine. Purple in a swamp at sunset gives a great effectB|.

Derek