marks

So who is interested in swooping, but afraid to post? promise,nobody will bite..

So its not about the smallest amount of jumps trying to get on the smallest canopy to look cool...shit wrong again:)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

That is true but i would have thought the principal would be the same - I know others doing 180 or 270s that also do not use their neptunes as they have learnt without them.

And as for doing a 45, on a canopy loaded a 1.4 is a fair commitment I think! I'm now doing 90s with eyes only starting at about 200-250ft (don't know where) and seem to manage judging height just fine. All personal preference, skill, judgment and experience i guess :)

Screw you guys! I'm now in The Zone too!

Dude, you look like you are a natural sponsored athelete.:D Notice the camera geeking ability followed by the subtle display of product.:D The "Velocity" label just "happened" to be layed out like that.:D All you need is a sunpath hat on to make it complete.:D:D:D

Awesome.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

as it happens i got a neptune for my 21st and i thought that it would help...i find it doesn't really, being hard to read and process heights whilst setting up and watching traffic. And then when i do successfully use it i find myself doubting my set up.

in all reality, you dont need to be useing a neptune at your stage in the game, your still learning the recovery arc, and what a 3 dimensional world looks like.,.. useing a neptune while setting up in traffic is a BAD idea, use it for a tool in competition.

I find that the easiest way to 'dial in' my small turns (building slowly up to almost 90s now though )

me to.:)

They're still not perfect, but i find not hooking it and doing a slower carve turn allows me to judge the height pretty good and i'm getting not bad little swoops either

you will find ALOT of people on the competition curcuit doing turns higher and slower.

By all means others seem to find a digital altimeter useful but i certainly find it easier to judge it purely by eye...constantly throughout the turn as well as set up height.

and your not going to. once you gain more experiance and REALLY start dialing it in and become more accurate, and downsize to a more performance wing, tools like the neptune are AWESOME. they help alot in your setup.;)

That is true but i would have thought the principal would be the same - I know others doing 180 or 270s that also do not use their neptunes as they have learnt without them.

learn it with your eyes, and when you need fine tuning goto the neptune.

Screw you guys! I'm now in The Zone too!

Dude, you look like you are a natural sponsored athelete.:D Notice the camera geeking ability followed by the subtle display of product.:D The "Velocity" label just "happened" to be layed out like that.:D All you need is a sunpath hat on to make it complete.:D:D:D

Awesome.B|

What? I don't know what you are talking about. There was no setup for that picture. It just happened.;)B|

My colleges are going to think...

I see that you and Shimell have been hanging out a lot huh?:D

ive got to quit saying nice things about you..:P

so why dont you throw your 2 cents in brian?...

He would but i believe he's broke right now:)
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

In your opinion honestly I'm loading my canopy too much? What would your suggestion be? I used to jump a 170 but it's just a huge wing, I can't get into cross braced yet as I'm not ready to jump a 120. The smallest I've jumped was a stiletto 135 at 2.15 or so. I liked the speed and swoops, but not the openings etc. My understanding was that the xfire2 was capable of the higher wingloading, with a min loading of 1.4. I can't look at my label as it's packed, but I believed the max exit weight on it would wing it at 2.2

What would the best ave be to go?
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

I wouldn't change your canopy. While you may not get optimal performance out of it I doubt you're getting poor performance from it.

I'm guessing you're just dealing with plain ol' inertia. You're a solid mass moving in a direction and it takes time to change the mass's direction.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Oh and if you're loading the 150 at 2.01 I shudder to think at the monsterous distance you'll get on a velo 120 loaded at 2.5 WITHOUT weights.

Dear mother of god it's going to be like hanging an anvil under a napkin and watching it blaze through with the power of a wrecking ball.

For the love of god don't hit something or someone!!! :D

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Dude,

If you are loading a 150 at 2.0, then you must be like 300lbs with gear on. Is this true?

The website linked in his profile has a picture of him on the staff page. He is a big guy so yeah I would say he didn't screw up the WL.

Greenie in training.

get some coaching if you can, i dont like loading a crossfire up that high, to much running to do... lol... but i havent jumped one that big, so im not really sure.

once you get coaching and dial it in se if you can find a vx similar in size to your crossfire, they are out there... they will make you a vx in any size you want.... just make sure your ready for it....

but when i made the transition from my 99 crossfire to my 87 vx, it was the easiest transition i ever made. the canopies flew very similar. vx dves a little more of course, but still was similar.

if you can find a vx for your size i would try it. but then again , you should also use good judgment on yourself to determin if your ready for it.. your already at 2.0, there is noway any any of us can see your skills. so use good judgement... if you find a 150 vx, if i were you i would at least try it.... but be carefull.

call icarus and see if they got one laying around... doubt it, but it is worth a shot.

after you jump a vx you will see what i mean about how the crossfire seems inefficiant at that loading...

sure it can handle higher, but your really past the point if you ask me..

also, try things on your crossfire to make he wing "flat" get extra long chestsrap and loosen it all the way under canopy so the wing is spread out. and make sure to pull your slider down so it can spread out also.

how long are your risers?

and at straight steady flight, how much do you have to pull ONE toggle to get the canopy to give you a noticeable response?

To answer everyone's questions:

Yes I weight 300 or just under out the door with all my camera stuff and suits on. Take about 10-15lbs off that if i'm not flying with everything on my head. That picture on my profile is actually old, and I'm a bit bigger. Thanks for asking though and making sure I'm not just pissing in the wind with these questions.

Inirtia actually makes a lot of sense. Never really thought of it that way. And as for jumping a 120, I am not ready for it. I upsized back to the 149 from the 135 because of the extremely high wingloading. Granted the stiletto wasn't the best canopy to be loading that high, but I had to land off and straight in and hurt my knee on the landing. Nothing damaging, just realized it was a bad idea.

A vx 150 i think i would be comfortable flying, even a vx 135 for that matter. I flew the stiletto much better in my opinion that my xfire. Although the response above about having to run out my xfire, that is incorrect. I haven't run out a landing in a couple hundred jumps. I slide on my feet, transferring the weight out of my harness. I get great swoops out of my canopy, but would like something maybe a bit different.

Length of risers are, I believe 22", they are what came on my wings, much longer than normal ones on javs etc. I open my chest strap all the way up and stow my slider behind my head.

I start a 270 around 650 ft (field elevation is 900ft asl), 180's 400, 90's by eye then to double fronts. Depending on wind conditions (usually shitty and high 15mph) toggle, light wind days or no wind rear risers all the way. My brakes are actually a bit longer than the factory setting, but I've adjusted them that way on purpose. A much more natural feeling to be at full flight with my arms slightly relaxed. I can still whip it quickly though into a turn and get plenty of flare power out of it. it also alows me to hang on front risers harder and longer without effecting the trailing edge.

I'm going to try and see if i can find a cross-braced of something in a more reasonable size. my understanding was they were 120 max on the sizing because of openings etc.
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

a stilletto is in no way even campareable to the xf2 or even any crossbraced. very short recovery, and if you ever plan on jumping a canopy that has a long recovery, it will be difficult to transition from the stilletto because your so used to the recovery.

i would try some longer risers, hell i jump 22" risers and im barely 5-8. try 24-26. the longer riser will gice you a noticeable longer recovery arc, and iw ill also help the canopy flatten out more than it is.

if your chest strap has tension on it when your at full flight and it is loosened all the way, get a longer chest strap. the flatter the wing the better the responsiveness. look at a stunt plane's wings compared to a cessna, or even a jumbo jet.

somone your size is definatly going to get alot of inertia under that wing, maybee if your at a boogie somwhere close to aggiedave you guys could trade for a jump to see the differences in the two.

i wouldnt go much higher on wingloading for a vx though. keep it right at 2.0. and if you ever get compeditive you can just add a little weight. so somthing very similar in size would be ideal.

now the vx does open quite stiff.... hard even when the lineset's are new and slick. not really good for camera. but once the canopy is "trained" and the lines have friction on the the slider comes down slower and they open ALOT better...of course till you put a new lineset on them....

this seek and destroy thing your talking about, im really at a loss at being able to tell what it is. i think i would have to experiance it or somthing.... are you sure your cat eye for the brake line isnt getting hung up in the guide ring on your riser? that could make it difficult to pull if it had alot of tension on it.