listo

Poll: Total jump numbers and the type of canopy you fly

I am just curious what these numbers are going to turn out to be. Please be honest with your answers.

I am in no way trying to say one type of canopy is better than the other, nor am I looking for info to try and "one up" anyone. Please don't let this turn into a thread that bashes anyone for experience or lack of. This is just to see who is doing what.

Thanks,
Sam

I have thousands of jumps on ellipticals. Less than a thousand on cross braced. I spiral fractured my right fibula attempting to slide on an uneven surface. I wasn't going fast anymore but my foot folded under and hosed my ankle pretty good.

I've practiced straight in and accuracy type approaches on the elliptical many times. There comes a time when that skill is needed so it's best to just practice it sometimes. During a training weekend a few years ago, there was no wind at all and the swoop was up. Instead of swooping, I took the oppurtunity to learn to sink in a Stiletto at a 1.7 plus wingload. That practice has come in handy.

I've done the same on the cross brace and quite frankly, it can be done, but I don't like it. I've sunk it in and PLFed in practice and but when it came to a real off landing, there was no surprises. I don't mind rolling on the ground now and then, it's definately a good skill to own.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Ive got just over 250 jumps and I am still flying a semi-elliptical, (pilot 150). I have also started to learn HP landings. You need to add some extra choices up there ;)

edit to add: I see your last option there now after re-reading it ;) my bad

Warwick University Skydiving Club

3000+ jumps, Safire2 160 loaded at 1.55

I stopped doing 270º last year when I realised that the canopy was faster than my reactions
I can still surf with a combination of a 90 or 180 an fronts.
We all get old, Know your limits

Gone fishing

I was on an elliptical '135 under 400 jumps, have now got just over 600 jumps and am flying a Pilot '140 (which totally rocks, love it!). My decision was helped following a friendly chat with Bryan Burke after I smeared myself across the desert.:)
Will

200+, Nitron 150 @1.2 lb/sqf, I don't do hook turns or swoops, no HP landings. Never injured. Normal approaches.
If I am in the mood for HP stuff, or just pushing my personal limits, then I do a hop and pop at 5 or 7 K, sometimes higher.

Hispas Brothers President
HISPA #2,

I used the following canopies:
1 - 31 jumps : Skymaster 260 (0.76)
32 - 201 jumps: Falcon 195 (1.01)
202 - 338 jumps: Sabre 150 (1.32)
338 - 356 jumps: Sabre 135 (1.47)

Did a few jumps on a Stiletto but I didn't liked it.
At the moment I'm jumping the Sabre 135 but I'm thinking about making the switch to a Sabre2 120 (1.65)
Most of the time I'm doing 180° HP landings.
You can make pretty nice landings with the Sabre if you want ;)
Never injured.

Thank you to all who have posted and voted. I know that this is a hard poll to understand because of all of the options and considering the fact that people change canopies over time.

Just to let everyone know what my experience is:

currently flying a velo 120 @ 2.05 ( + or - .1, depending on how much I have eaten and whether or not I am flying camera) I add weights sometimes to 2.25 according to the winds and what I am wanting to acheive.

velo 111: 200 jumps ( 2.0 )
velo 120: 100 jumps ( 2.0 - 2.25 ) using weights
stiletto 120: 500 jumps ( 1.9 )
stiletto 150: 200 jumps ( don't remember my wl at that time)
various student canopies: 200 jumps ( mostly skymasters of different sizes, espcially the big'uns after my biff )

*note* my wing load has changed over the years because of my personal eating habits;)

*injured* flying a viper 120: femur, hip and back
occured at jump #156, when I was just learning to swoop. I was the hard head that wouldn't listen to anyone:|

edit: I am also a tandem instructor for those who are adding up my jump numbers vs. what I have listed to the left by my name.
Sam
Live today as tomorrow may not come

I've got 500 jumps on a Stiletto 150 that I've loaded between 1.5 and 1.8

I've got a Samurai 135 on order that I'll load around 1.8

I have 700ish jumps. Prior to the Stiletto I had 200 jumps on a Triathlon 190, loaded around 1.2

I do 270 approaches on roughly half my landings. Occaisionally they result in a good swoop.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

110 jumps flyin a pilot 210 loaded at 1.1:1. I plan on flyin that canopy til it falls apart and I have a coach that's workin with me on progression into HP landings
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

1700. Fly a Velocity 90 2.1+

Hurt myself under an elliptical 135 when I was way too inexperienced for the canopy.

Prefer to do HP landings whenever possible but am not shy to do a straight in approach if necessary.

Every so often I'll change my approach to straight in approach, a 90, a 180, 270, 360, 450, etc. I believe versitility and being able to land my canopy in a variety of configurations and speed is essential.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I have 1666 jumps and jump a Velo 90 loaded at 2.1+ and a Xaos-27 93 loaded at 2.0. My progression was 288 down to 220, Sabre 170 at 76 jumps, Stilletto 135 at 183 jumps, Xaos 21-108 at jump 590,m Xaos-27 93 at 972 jumps, and Velo 90 at 991 jumps. (Ducking for cover from all the flames probably headed my way). [:/]

This progression was way too fast... the only thing that kept me from killing myself is a methodical and conservative approach to everything that I do in skydiving. I've sprained my ankle from catching bad air from anothe's canopy, and again 6 weeks later from a night jump where I landed off (I didn't see the ground, I smelled the grass!) on my Velo 90. I also fractured T6 and T7 last 4th of July.B|. I was VERY lucky on that one and only missed 3 weekends of skydiving (If you'd see the video, you'd see I was EXTREMELY lucky).

I love the canopies I fly, but I also caution all that come to me wanting to land the way I do, that it's not as easy as it looks and that I've paid the price with both experience, and stupidity, and I'm very fortunate. We're all still learning... sometimes, the ground is as good, but not as gentle a teacher as experience. :oB|:P

Cheers!

--Jairo

Edited to add: I only weighed 135 lbs when I went to Stilleto 135. After realizing the benefits of working out, I now weigh 168 lbs without gear.
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

<--- Approx jump numbers.

My canopy for the last 70+ jumps or so is a Precision-built Icarus Safire 175(ish) loaded just a bit under 1.2 and yes I can land it in a backyard, downwind, in brakes, on rears, or whatever.

Landing technique is usually a normal pattern with emphasis on accuracy (already completed C license requirements) however I will do an occasional double-front or ~90 front-riser turn to final if I have a big landing area to myself.

I'll be keeping it for a while longer since I just sent it off for a fresh set of Vectran lines. ;) Next canopy will probably be a Nitron based on Chris Martin's recommendation shortly before last Halloween or a Samurai loaded about the same. I might demo some other 170s in the meantime, depends on how much I have to travel.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080