RTB

H-Mod for Cobalt?

It's a simple mod, but as far as I know, unless your name is Howard Adams or Joe Bennett, you may be infringing on some sort of patent. I may be wrong, but hell, it's just as simple to send your main to one of them. Joe charged me $150 for mine and had it back to me before the weekend. Joe works at Skydive Monroe in Georgia and Howard is running a dropzone in north Florida; possibly the old Skydive Daytona.

If you are overseas, A.J. Roque did his own and it may actually be a more thorough re-work.

Chuck

we do not offer the h-mod from the factory as performance wise it is in between the cobalt and the competition cobalt.

as far as offering aftermarket h-mods on cobalts we support howard adams and joe bennet. we have been reluctant to recommend an after market modification to our canopies by a third party as it is out of our control to ensure the work is done properly, but after the last two years these riggers have definately proved a record of excellence. btw for anyone new to this thread howard adams is the designer what we dubed the h(oward)-mod.

we will be posting their information on our web site soon for u.s. customers.

sincerely,

dan<><>
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Probably the same reason you can't buy 24 inch wheels stock on a Cadillac Escalade; it's an aftermarket modification done created by a master rigger. To "put" the mod on at the factory, one would then have to pay royalties to the creator. The CC is different enough that it does not require the payment of such royalties.

There are drawbacks to any modification. In the case of the H-mod, it makes your canopy quite snivelly. You can undo the snivel by switching to a smaller slider like Roq did, but I like my main snivelly. I can tell you this for certain: If your main is snapping you on opening, the H-mod will not only un-fuck that problem, but it will also make your canopy dive better and swoop longer.

Chuck

In my 85 roq-mod (similar to h-mod) in the first jumps with standard slider I verified a snivel increase, but the canopy was new and just had 4 or 5 jumps before me to install the roq-mod. I placed a smaller slider then to decrease the snivel.
After a few jumps with the small slider the opening became fast but no hard. Then I placed the standard slider again and the canopy open almost in the same time of a normal but still more softer.
I think that the lines and trim adjusted after the first jumps and they allowed to use the standard slider without great difference in the time of opening.
Now I already did more than 200 jumps with my 85 roq-mod with normal slider and I don't want another thing.

Roq

I have a 170 Cobalt that I love but it has opened fast a few times. I was thinking about getting the H-mod but I was wondering if a necessary wingload is required since it closes off some of the nose. I am loading my Cobalt at 1.2

You would be OK at that loading, no problem.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com