Kipu

Broken ankle on a bad landing. Need reading materials in down time.

I suffered a severe ankle break on the 6th of January when I landed like an idiot on a beautiful day in perfect conditions. It was my 16th jump so I'm obviously a student. It was my third jump of the day. The first two were great jumps and landings, and on the third I lost focus, flared earlier than I usually would and let the toggles up. I dropped like a sack of potatoes and did not PLF. Now I have a few screws, a rod, a freaked out wife, and a great deal of time to think about my next jump.
So, if you could, I would love to have some recommended reading materials. My focus, I think, would be on canopy control, and the basic science of canopy flight. Web stuff is great, but some books would be even better.
Maybe some DVD's?

Thanks very much for any time you give me.
Blue skies,

Josh

Brian Germain's books:

"Transcending Fear"
"The Parachute and Its Pilot"

Both good books to read while healing up. First book talks about dealing with fear.

2nd book has to do with landing your parachute in a safe and successful manner.

Like you, I was a student on my 2nd solo when I messed up my landing pattern and landed on my left leg thus sustaining a compound tib/fib.

I just ordered "The Parachute and Its Pilot", my recent experience was that the Parachute landed softly... Its pilot... not so much. Thanks for the ideas, and please keep em' coming. the Transcending Fear is something i'll probably need in about a month.

I will say it now and continue to say it. I have much love and respect for the folks who simply help others, and you are those people. Thanks! Josh

I ordered 'The parachute and its pilot' a while back because I care for my wife full-time and I don't get to jump as often as I like.

The book is divided into two sections - one that deals with the canopy and canopy control (later chapters in this section cover swooping which I'll probably never use) and one that deals with the psychology and physiology of fear and how it affects the pilot.

I actually found that the latter section was of more use to me as a low jump number student but it's a very good book and well worth a read. I'm sure it's one that I'll read and reread during my skydiving career as more information in there becomes relevant.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

First I wish you a speedy recovery. I know what you mean by the term "freaked wife" - mine had to visit me at hospital - and did so for four weeks, each and every single day.
But for your reading/watching material: Might be a little "oldfashioned" but "Basic Canopy Flight" (by Skydive University) is pretty good, both the video and the book. Look here to get an idea (I see the DVD is now bundled with "Basic Body Flight", also quite nice for basic learning.) You will probably find this offer in the US as well.
Cheers, Carsten
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

The "Canopy Control" document is from the well respected Bryan Burke, Skydive Arizona. Your copy seems to be edited to remove credit; so I'll at least upload my copy so he gets proper credit. My copy is from 1997, so some canopy specific advice will have changed, even if the physics have not.

It did look rather empty in terms of credit.

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to add the proper credit he deserves to the copy of his book/document!
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I was enjoying the irony yesterday as I sat in the DMV waiting to get my temp handicap placard reading The Parachute and it's Pilot.

I've been reading most all the recommended materials posted here. I really can't thank you folks enough. The support I've received here has been priceless.

Anybody here an expert on healthcare cost negotiation?

Thanks again all. You'r awesome

Many great articles on the right hand side under "safety day articles" !

Also some fun quizzes to test your knowledge and or memory

I really enjoy reading these informative articles!

http://www.uspa.org/tabid/79/Default.aspx?State=CA#1487
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

1) If you don't ask, you don't get. Always ask if they can work with you to give you a discount.
2) Ask to set up a payment plan - and stay current on it - BEFORE it goes to collections.
3) Document everything. Keep all your paperwork, make logs of all conversations - what number you called, name of the person(s) you spoke to, date, time, what you talked about, etc.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

On my second S/L had a hard landing, sprained my right ankle. Was down for a few weeks. Third S/L/ made some mistakes. Read the Skydiver's Handbook during that time. Have been doing yoga to stregthen my core and back. Heal up. Get back up there.

I suffered a severe ankle break on the 6th of January when I landed like an idiot on a beautiful day in perfect conditions. It was my 16th jump so I'm obviously a student. It was my third jump of the day. The first two were great jumps and landings, and on the third I lost focus, flared earlier than I usually would and let the toggles up. I dropped like a sack of potatoes and did not PLF. Now I have a few screws, a rod, a freaked out wife, and a great deal of time to think about my next jump.
So, if you could, I would love to have some recommended reading materials. My focus, I think, would be on canopy control, and the basic science of canopy flight. Web stuff is great, but some books would be even better.
Maybe some DVD's?

Thanks very much for any time you give me.
Blue skies,

Josh

Not an expert.

Find out what medicare reimburses for the same treatment you received, and then start by offering them about 70% of that.

What everyone else said.

The hospitals don't like deadbeats>:( but most will work with you if you work with them. :)
Something is better than nothing, and collections is just another cost for the hospital. Lose , lose for everyone except the collection company or Quido.
One Jump Wonder

Not an expert.

Find out what medicare reimburses for the same treatment you received, and then start by offering them about 70% of that.

What everyone else said.

The hospitals don't like deadbeats>:( but most will work with you if you work with them. :)
Something is better than nothing, and collections is just another cost for the hospital. Lose , lose for everyone except the collection company or Quido.

Hospitals are run by amoral bean-counters. They would gladly condemn this guy to a lifetime of servitude, paying for care many welfare TROGs get for free. He can start by determining the correct price. Uninsured patients get charged the highest price for everything. Bill-padding by hospitals is commonplace.