skylee_pinoy

7 cell, PD143???

From the PD site.

The P.D. 7-cell is your canopy. Like the P.D. 9-cell, it is constructed entirely of traditional [low porosity] fabric. Designed and built for the skydiver who wants traditional 7-cell characteristics, including the ability to do low speed (braked) approaches for casual accuracy and demos as well as having excellent flight characteristics for casual C.R.W. The P.D. 7-cell will outperform all other low porosity 7-cells in all around performance. Openings, glide and landings are true to form for a Performance Designs canopy. If a traditional 7-cell is what you're after, the P.D. 7-cell should be your choice.

The Performance Designs 7 Cell...Traditional 7-cell Performance!

Why would you want to swoop it? There are many, many canopies better suited to the task. Should you choose to swoop this, you'll be facing high risk in return for shocking performance. You're also contemplating heavily overloading the canopy. PD's guide is as follows:

PD 7 Cell-143 143 Max experience, 143lbs, Span 17.33, Chord 8.25 Aspect 2.1:1.

It's very difficult giving advice on these issues when your profile is not completed. I see you are a SL instructor though. I'm guessing if you're planning a wing loading of 1.4 on a Low perocity 7 cell as a swooping canopy...... well...... I'm guessing....:S

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Not that particular canopy, but I have flown a PD 9-Cell 150, loaded approx. 1.4. I suspect the 7-Cell handles comparably.

Technique: pull on the frontriser.
Dos: make sure your steering lines do not deflect the rear of the canopy when giving moderate front riser input.
Don'ts: swoop.

The canopy I flew could handle a little extra speed, which did improve the flare. But it did not cope with aggressive handling very well. It was definitely overloaded, and I always aimed for the gravel pit - better for your ankles.

There are better canopies to swoop - lots better. Isn't there any way for you to lay hands on a used Sabre 1 150 or something? Or a Triathlon, if you prefer a 7-Cell?

But if it's the only canopy you have, you can fly it, and land it. Carefully, because it is overloaded, and you will notice that. There are better tools for the job, but if all you have is a hammer ..

Just don't hammer it in :S
Johan.
I am. I think.

Just trying to take the original question seriously. The canopy will be overloaded, and it will handle badly. I suspect they'll handle comparably in that respect.

Maybe I should have just unrecommended it.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Why would you want to swoop it? ----> bored with accuracy (235 main), want to try swooping (with 143)

I see you are a SL instructor though. -----> until last year… tired looking for new recruits here in our place… people are so negative here… thinking they might die or break a bone. Hhehe for now, I’m happy flying a Sony TRV418.

I'm guessing if you're planning a wing loading of 1.4 on a Low perocity 7 cell as a swooping canopy...... well...... I'm guessing.... ------> yes you’re right… but with your advice… though I’m a risk taker… just thinking twice… but there’s this website: https://www.square1.com/Catalog/ … still need advice with anyone who got experience swooping this canopies…

Isn't there any way for you to lay hands on a used Sabre 1 150 or something? Or a Triathlon, if you prefer a 7-Cell? -----> can’t find anyone here using these canopies… though I know some jumpers in northern part in our country (the rich people) who got sabres. If there was in here, I’d try it.

If the canopy is brand new, you can have some fun with it. But it will wear out quickly, and at that wing loading, you will notice it.

I put some jumps on PD113R's at that wing loading and got great landings out of them, but after 30-60 jumps the landing performance certainly was degraded.