Sadcat

Demon vs Stiletto

I have about 200 jumps on a Demon right now. One thing I would definitely advise is to check the size of the canopy you're getting. Mine says 120 on the label but is practically the same size as a Cobalt or a Stiletto 135, so it's either a mistake by the manufacturer or a radically different measuring method.

Unfortunately, I have exactly one jump on a Stiletto (120), so all that follows is more or less one-sided;
First of all, for one pro, the Demon would be easier to pack. ;) Not that I have problems packing PD canopies, but that's just the way it is.

Secondly, the Demon's recovery arc is probably longer...of course I can not say for sure until I've tried the same thing on a same-sized Stiletto, but with my canopy I'm currently doing 90° carving approaches with some added harness input and starting them at almost 100m. Riser pressure in this kind of maneuvre isn't very high. Also, if you start the turn with a sharper hook, the pressure will start seriously building somewhere around 270°. With a gentler carving turn, though, the canopy will try to level out much faster and the front riser will get harder to pull, so I wouldn't want to make generalizations about that, especially since I don't have enough jumps, both on this canopy and on others.
Landings are, speaking again from my own experience, quite nice. I've read reports of Demons stalling abruptly near the end of the flare, but from what I understand, those were earlier/experimental models. Mine may require a little run-out on no-wind days, but performs well otherwise.

If it's any help at all, there's an opening, some flying and some landings of my Demon in our newest video. Sorry I can't write more, but, as I said, I don't feel exactly qualified to compare my canopy to one I've never flown.

I've got 4 jumps on a demon 110, and over 600 on a stiletto 120. Exit weight is around 225. My thoughts on the Demon: First, the 110 demon is noticeably larger than the 120 stiletto, close to a 135 in size, so a 130 demon is probably bigger than you want. The Demon is made of Gelvenor fabric, so packing is easy, but it packs very big. Again, you may want a smaller size. I didn't really like the slider kill line being continuous, it seems like it could snag on a head/helmet and cause a problem. The demon gives very nice openings, all soft and only one off heading, which was my own fault. The De110 is less responsive to toggle input than my Stiletto, and riser pressure seems similar. The demon seems to dive more than the stiletto. The canopy is very stable in breaks and turbulence. It was a windy weekend, so not a lot of chance to judge swoop and landing, but my impression was that the Demon would outswoop the stiletto with the right pilot. Also, it's a cool looking canopy. Overall, there are canopies I like better, but for the money (just over a grand, last I checked) this thing can't be beat.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Check out the site from Performance variable site:
http://www.myskyshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21/products_id/61

In general the Demon is more aggressive than the Stiletto.
If you are looking for a copy of the Stiletto, the Contrail from Performance Variable is it. Put them on top of each other and you don't see any difference. Only the fabric feels a little bit different.

In Belgium and Germany there are a lot of people with a Demon.

Greets,

Lucke

The Demon is a canopy complete different of the Stilleto.
The Demon have a 3/1 of Aspect Ratio
The Stiletto have 2,68/1 of AR
This can be that the span of the Demon is more big than a stil with same size, and the cord of the Demon is more short of the stilleto.
Like is a general knowing the canopys with increased AR have less induced drag and better aerodynamic performance (speed, glide ratio and lift)
Also, the technical concept if the Demon is complete diferent of the stilleto. The demon have a end closed cells, and 3 and 6 cel with triangle in nose for better opennings and end cel pressurization (like a modern paragliders).
The construction process of the demon is different with 2 top and bottom panel for cel and sewings for inside of the canopy. It increase the performance because make a less parasit drag.
The demon have no more size of the stilletto but have more volume because the construction process and a bit volume of the Gelveanor fabric (more volume but more durability)
In flight the demon is different and can be load much more than a stilleto.
When you load the demon to low you can seem that is a big canopy because the particular characteristic of this canopy.
The demon opening (when proper packing) is fast and soft in all situations
The only handicap of the demon is when you load it more than the 2 the spectre lines that came with it can stretch and decrease the performance. Is a good idea to put aramid or vectran lines in this canopy when load it more than 2.

Roq

Nick

No. Like I know this canopy is made in Sirilanka for Performance Variable by project of the Michel Nesler. The same planner of the Atair Alpha, Impulse, Onyx and Cobalt beyond of a lot of paragliders.

Roq

The Demon is a canopy complete different of the Stilleto.
The Demon have a 3/1 of Aspect Ratio
The Stiletto have 2,68/1 of AR
This can be that the span of the Demon is more big than a stil with same size, and the cord of the Demon is more short of the stilleto.

Possible...but the fact is, my Demon "120" has both bigger span and cord compared to other 120 canopies of the same class. Plus we measured it with Stane and he calculated a surface of 130 sq. ft.

And just to add, the canopy does seem quite stable in turbulence and flying in brakes, although the closed end cells (usually just one side) often need some pumping to inflate completely. 'Fast and soft' is exactly how I'd describe most of the openings, although from time to time I might get a fast and brutal one (bad body position, most likely).

My Demon 80 have a real area 82 sq/ft
The Demon 100 have a real area 105 ft
Like I know the PD and Icarus canopys have about more +- 5 sq/ft that the informed size (At least the canopys that I measured)

Roq

I have a demon 100 demo that I am going to jump this weekend. Call Aerostore, they have the US demos.

And you will have a pretty purple JavelinRS to put it in too.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The demon have no more size of the stilletto but have more volume because the construction process and a bit volume of the Gelveanor fabric (more volume but more durability)

Roq

I dont agree that Gelvanor fabric has more durability than PD fabric. Proof has shown the contrary. I have never seen a canopy from Gelvanor last as long as a PD Stiletto or any other canopy that incorporates that fabric.

It is your opinion, but remember that the gelvenor fabric is double coated fabric with similar filament of the other know fabrics.
Double coated fabric = more durability, more volume than fabric with only one coated side

Roq