WrongWay

"Letting it breathe" and performance?

Maybe it's all just in my head......but I'll ask anyway. B|

When I loosen my chest strap and pull the slider down to open up my canopy, even though the flare (and general input) is much smoother, it feels like it takes more input to make faster turns up high.....is this maybe an illusion because of how my harness feels different all loosened up, or is it an actual difference in performance due to there being less "holding the lines tight"? I hope you know what I'm talkin' about haha! :P Any input would be good, thanks!! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I jumped once with my friend who has same canopy model and size plus he is just a little lighter then me. So basically we loaded equally the same canopy of the same size. The only difference was that I pulled slider all the way down (loosing chest strap too) and he did not do that. I was very surprised how my canopy over performed his. We tried to fly side by side and in clean configuration (no breaks) he was sinking down.

This has been talked about before so hopefully you'll be able to find out what you're exactly looking for when you do a search, but in short yes, you should get better performance when slider is down and you loosen the cheststrap.
In a previous post somebody had a pretty good display of how the harness constricts the parachute when everything is tight and how it is more 'free' when everything is loose.
try a search if that doesn't answer specifically then we'll try to answer more specifically.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

it feels like it takes more input to make faster turns up high

I've noticed the same thing. I think that it's due to the anhedral of the canopy decreasing when you loosen the chest strap, which makes the canopy seem to not 'want' to turn as much. I notice better bottom end performance, as well.

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

Loosen chest strap O.K. I get it. But pull the slider ALL the way down? I would figure the slider is all the way down after you dump it slides down and stops.
How much more can it be pulled down? For me at 1 to 1 and a semi elliptical Safire 2 229 how much of a difference can it make performance wise.

And yes those landings have become smooth as baby girls bottom.

heh

a lot more....

once you pull it down and stick it behind your neck it flattens the canopy more and actually lets it fly better...

also I hope when it stops you have bumpers on, I could send you a ppicture of what happens when the slider sticks one of your brakes while flaring ;)

just one of the reasons I like it all the way down...

dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Plow, are you going to be able to pull the slider all the way down past the bumper stops? I also am waiting for mynew Safire2 229 to arrive next week. I use standard size risers and i don't know if the slider grommets will be large enough to slide over the risers and the set brakes. Ok let me have it JP. I would look at what I have now, but I have allready sold my other canopy w/slider, and my risers are at the DZ. Thanks..Mark
So, you bring your beer?

Its 5 o'clock somewhere
POPS #9344

Red, Dharma.

Well i don't think I can pull the slider behind my head it's up over my head. I don't have bumpers,(clear plastic) there soft links(?) cloth white nylon. I wouldn't say bumpers like my PD has. And the slider is colapsable, yea I think my risers are to big for the gromets to go through.

I'm ordering a javelin soon so think it would be a better option to get mini risers?

RED! Your gonna love the Safire2, took me a few to get used to the landings, it kinda sneaks up on ya when you put the first input to the flare, the canopy starts to plain out instantly. (MAKE SURE THEY PSYCO PAK) man I had a few good openings(fluff fluff- BAMMM):):S