stilet

Katana wing load

Hey,

not too much experience on them, but demoed 2 sizes. First one for 50 jumps @ 1.25. Wouldn't say hated it, but didn't exactly like it. The other was @ 1.35 and I loved it. I guess fewer people are light enough to load them that lightly given the available sizes.
First one kinda felt very "soft" coming out of turns compared to a Stiletto of the same size and a Sabre2 of a bigger size. Just my experience.

Nadine

Are you really loading your Katana at 2.06?

Yes, kind like that. ~1.9-2.05.. depends on how much time was spent in WC before the dive :)
Katana acts absolutely normal with much of lift power near the ground. I've made just 9 dives up to now, so I wonder when Katana acts with max performance. Before I flied Stiletto 135 :)
here's the bigger picture of landing on snow ;)
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=40774;guest=11103380

much of lift power near the ground. I've made just 9 dives up to now,

yeah, let's see how it acts at a different density altitude :P
so far you tried landing it at subzero temperatures at near sea level ;)
Anyway, the dive looks very steep, even with your straight double fronts approach B|

I just put three demo jumps on one @ 1.6. At first I thought it was too hot, but then I REALLY liked it.:)
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I put about 100 jumps on a 107 at 1.77 and about 200 jumps on a 97 at 1.85 to 1.95 depending on lead.

I really liked the 97 much better. However it still carried quite a bit of forward speed at the end of the swoop when it put me down on my feet. Usually no problem in sliding it out. I felt that the 97 at 1.95 gave me plenty of speed and still gave me reasonable landing speed, but I also feel that at 1.95 I was at my "limit". I did a few jumps with more lead than usual, loading it up to about 2.0, but then the speed in no wind conditions was a bit high for my taste.

Have loaded my 107 between 1.7 and 1.8 depending on lead, have also put a few on a 97 which i would have been loading at 1.9 (no lead).
The 107 included jumps at 3000 ft asl in high temperatures)

Between 1.7 and 1.9 there was no drop off in landability or stopability. Zero wind landings were still very easy to shut down.

I heard when it first came out that PD were saying there was a sweet spot at 1.8, I don't recall the source.

A crazy Australian friend borrowed my 107, and must have been loading it at about 2.3, I saw him land it well, and he said it was flying good. He even claims to have sunk it in at that wingloading!!

We haven't came out with "sweet spot" wing loadings for our canopies, mainly because it's not the same for everyone or every size. Also, depending on where you jump, people who jump at sea level tend to go with a higher wing loading, where people who jump at higher a elevation go with lighter wing loadings

I know people who think the sweet spot on a Katana is 1.6 and others who think its 2.3, it's really based on who's flying the canopy.

Later,
Isaiah

I started on a 120 at about 1.6 - 1.7 and liked it, about 300 jumps on it (perris is ~1300ft msl). I then got 107's and I'm around 1.8 to 1.95 (500 jumps on the 107's) with my full weight belt, and I'm loving it... I definitely prefer the higher wingloading myself.
I really have fun with the swoops when I have my full weight belt on. In fact, I prefer jumping with weight. It sinks a lot though. I work my rear risers hard to get comprable glide as to my teammate with similar size & w/l on a crossfire in full flight.
It depends on what you want to get out of it.
peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

We haven't came out with "sweet spot" wing loadings for our canopies

Yep, that's why i said i wasn't sure of the source, it was one of those
'My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavours last night.' type comments that i heard.

I would also be interested to hear what other people have tried. I am learning 90s right now, and still a little high, but I have been pulling down double fronts to build a little speed, then let one riser up enough to do my 90, and then ease the other up til they are equal and then let both up. I have been doing this at about 400 feet, but as I said, I don't have it dialed in yet.

When I was hanging out with some of the guys on the factory team they said the Katana is so new that they don't really have enough time on the canopy to figure out ideal wing loading for performance. That said, everyone thought they had figured it out with the Velocity (2.1-2.2), but have recently found that higher loading may give more power with less loss of performance than they originally thought. Maybe we don't know the "ideal" wing loading on anything yet as the rules are still being defined....

I don't think there is a rule of thumb about any of this (except don't do a 270 at 200 feet!)...we all just keep playing and learning.