bendover

slowing down before touching down any ideas

I have a 98 xaos 27, I love it and the swoops. What I am trying to figure out is how to bleed off more speed before hitting the ground. I havent messed with rear riser landings much but the more speed I feed on final the more I have to run. Is there a way to bleed off more speed such as taking a wrap(havent done that in about 10 years) or is it a rear thing or underload overload or nature of the beast?? Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.190 out the door

now not seeing your landing you have to take this with a grain of salt, but i know on my old vx when i was running out landings a lot it was because i wasn't really finishing the flair. i was putting down my feet when i still had more flair left.

basically just make sure your getting your hands as far down as they will go and hold it there and don't put your feet down yet, the canopy will stop (well almost anyway).

this is what worked for me anyway.

later

thanks for ideas this long of a swooping canopy is new to me. last was a crossfire good but not this good. so I might have a lil somthin somthin left and not know it. Thanks

that's what was happing to me, i went from my fx to a vx that was a much better canopy and swooped a lot futher, and it just seamed like i should be stopping when i still had more distance and flare left.

later

As stated the Xaos responds well to a full flair". When you think you should put your feet down, hold them up a moment longer while you use the rest of the toggle stroke.

On another note. If your profile is correct I think You may be pushing things a bit. Please be careful.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Please be careful.

Ditto.

I think you're not finishing the flare. When I'm bored and watching landings - I'm amazed at how many people do the "thunder run" when there's yonks of lift left in the rag.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Finishing your flare is always a good idea. Once you have "planed-out, and are surfing at ground level, "don't let it land!!!", keep it flying as long as possible. Maintain level flight by increasing your flare until the canopy is done surfing.
Stalling the parachute does not hurt if your feet are allready on the grass, I've done it many times. Another neat trick is to surf below "standing height" and bury the toggles at the end of the surf in order to pop back up to stand up, or slide out the landing.

Brian Germain's The Parachute and its Pilot is THE Bible.

Thanks to all for the ideas. I will be carefull, I am working into it slowely. I thumped once in a diablo and slowed down alot. I do jump in kansas, low altitude and lots of wind. As far as the crossfire I sold that damn thing after three collapse's one at 30 feet.:S

As far as the crossfire I sold that damn thing after three collapse's one at 30 feet.:S

found any reason for that ??

As said above, be careful. Even being careful might not be enough...:|
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Thanks to all for the ideas. I will be carefull, I am working into it slowely. I thumped once in a diablo and slowed down alot. I do jump in kansas, low altitude and lots of wind. As far as the crossfire I sold that damn thing after three collapse's one at 30 feet.:S

Did it have the mod done? Did you (hopefully) tell the buyer?

I mean. I'm just curious....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

>What I am trying to figure out is how to bleed off more speed before hitting the ground.

What I do when I have to really bleed off speed (i.e. I'm landing downwind or something) is that I'll start the planeout, get my feet on the ground, and start to slide. I can usually cover ten feet or so gradually transferring my weight to my feet. During that time, the canopy is still providing lift/drag, so it's still slowing me down and keeping me upright. Once I slow down enough I start running.

The slide is nice because at that point you know you have the entire flare range of the canopy available. Even if you flare hard enough to stall it (unusual) you've already got your feet on the ground.

You just need to hook it harder. Works for me....by the second bounce I usually have bled off most of my speed.

On second thought, we jump in kansas- maybe you just need some remedial windsock training. remember: "eat the carrot"

I hadn't heard about you incident(s) with the crossfire. Give me call sometime.

Sam

I have about 1000 jumps or so on my xaos 21 120.
I know it is bigger, and only a 21, but the flare is deep and it nearly impossible for me to stall on landing. In fact, everytime my hands are down as far as they go, and it just keeps on going.

I used to have the same problem of stopping it, but my solution was to bring it lower as I flare, then bring it back up ,"stand UP " to the landing, like someone else has said. I was levelling off at normal extension of my body, but it sucked stepping down to land, so then I bring my feet up a little, and the problem is solved.

I use rears almost every landing, get what I need from them, and then back to toggles. Try not to "milk " the rears for all they are worth, brings a lot of induced drag into the mix.

I have gotten that thing to let me off with a couple of steps in no wind, it is just a matter of managing the flare more, and using all you have got.

If you are jumping in "lots of wind" you should have no problem getting that thing to come to a stop.

Give it a few hundred more jumps, approached cautiously, and you will see.

be careful,
jeff agard D-16906

Try not to "milk " the rears for all they are worth, brings a lot of induced drag into the mix.

While I agree with your technique, rears don't induce more drag than brakes.

Brakes create huge amounts of drag but also drasticaly change the airfoil shap, alowing for more life. Think of them alot like flaps on an airplane.

Rears are not real good for scrubbing off speed which is what drag does.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

i agree with peoples assessment of your flaring. the best part of the brakes on a Xbrace is how much they have. you need to slow down the flare through the stroke, be more smooht and you will have lots left at the bottome, resist the urge to actually land till the canopy sets you down.

Get video.:| You will more than likely see that your hands arent as deep in the flare stroke as you think.
X-braced has sooo much at the bottom it should be one of the things that blows you away about your canopy.;)

a bit off the point - dont want to offend you but you may be flying too small a wing. think about it seriously. it is possible to land a 120 so fast that it screams in like a 105- can you? or are you thinking
that you'll just take it easy and get into this little rocket slowly... Where is the learning curve greater
( assuming the learning curve relates to canopy piloting and not an education in uses for titanium ) :P

Good luck
Be safe
People dont care how much you know until they know how much you care.

Good rule of Thumb:
If the canopy is flying faster than you can run, you should continue to fly the canopy, until it either slows down enough, or learn to run faster.

Also, make sure you are completely flaring your canopy, and make sure your brake settings are correct.

I would highly recommend doing a few clear and pulls, (high pull) with a plan, and really learn how to fly your canopy and find out it's limits. Solo's to start with and then maybe a few 2-3 ways.

Also, at least every 50-100 jumps, I train an all rear riser landing, as an emergency procedure, in case I have a problem with my main canopy's control lines and I'm too low to use my reserve.