sight_burner

new canopy material ????

At Ozone we are very proud of the quality of our products and it's something that we feel passionate about. This page explains why we chose some of the materials we use and how our wings are put together.

We started to develop our first wing on a clean sheet of paper. Choice of materials was one of the first problems to solve. Issues such as ageing, stability, ease of handling and cost etc had to be taken into account. In the end we chose the materials that we knew would do their particular jobs best. End of story.

We have chosen to use Gelvenor for the upper surface of our gliders. We consider this silicone coated sail cloth to be the most resistant to ageing on the market. Dav and the design team spend a lot of time perfecting our wings to make them as wrinkle free as possible. Wrinkle free means a well designed glider with quality production.

The loads on the lower surface of a glider are high so we use Porcher-Marine sailcloth which is the most stable cloth we know of. We also use Porcher-Marine cloth for the rib construction as it is important that these remain stable so as not to deform and affect the handling of your glider over time.

Ok so why have I not seen this kind of material in skydiving. from my understanding Its allways been F111 and Z.P canopies right! It just seems that Porcher-Marine cloth and Gelvenor would seriously enhance (in skydiving canopies) handling, speed, I.E swoop distance, and durability. Or has the industry not taken this into consideration do to the expected large pack volume and expected hard opening possibilities?

[url]http://www.flyozone.com/pgframe.htm

Andrew

I don't care about fame I just want people to know my name qote ( Andrew Cebuhar)

the thread is dead

Ok so why have I not seen this kind of material in skydiving. from my understanding Its allways been F111 and Z.P canopies right! It just seems that Porcher-Marine cloth and Gelvenor would seriously enhance (in skydiving canopies) handling, speed, I.E swoop distance, and durability. Or has the industry not taken this into consideration do to the expected large pack volume and expected hard opening possibilities?

Andrew

Aerodyne used Gelvenor up until the recent merger. I have a Triathlon and a Diablo made from it.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have asked the same question regarding the material. It promotes a better glide ratio but it is unable to withstand the opening shock...

This was from Icarus

~G~

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

Do you know the actual name of the ZP material that is on a canopy? And do you know the trade name of F111? (F111 was actually the brand of a specific type of material that is no longer being made, nor has been made for a long time)

The Cobalt is made from Gelvenor material as is a few other overseas canopies. Its life cycle in skydiving is about the same as other materials.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

And if you want to talk about other materials in skydiving, read the article in "Skydiving Magazine" about Atair and the re-inforced materials they are using on some test canopies now. I have seen one up close and personal. Very intrigueing to say the least.;)

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Gelvenor is used widley in skydiving main canopies. Atair, HiPer, old Aerodyne products, and a few others use it.

SoarCoat by DuPont is the other main "ZP" you'll find in skydiving. There are MANY other "zp's" (Zero Porosity) fabrics in various industries that might make a great canopy from a performance standpoint, but will not stand up to the riggors of repeated deployments. Paragliders are often built out of such materials......
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

SoarCoat by DuPont is the other main "ZP" you'll find in skydiving. There are MANY other "zp's" (Zero Porosity) fabrics in various industries that might make a great canopy from a performance standpoint, but will not stand up to the riggors of repeated deployments. Paragliders are often built out of such materials......

oooooo no I wasn't thinking of taking something like this to terminal it would be a single purpose meant just for swooping, blade running, ect ect. But I do understand repacking It over and over again.

Andrew

I don't care about fame I just want people to know my name qote ( Andrew Cebuhar)

the thread is dead

BTW, Gelvenor was at the PIA symposium promoting a new ZP fabric they have coming out. Lighter and more UV resistant. The guy said we can expect to hear about it "in a few months" or something. I asked if he had a customer and he said probably, but he couldn't say who and it'll be big news when (if?) it gets announced.

Dave

The new GLX:

The new GLX is a ground launching machine! After several years of beta testing we have developed a parachute that is easy to launch and a joy to fly down the mountain. The GLX is completely cross braced with a hybrid nose section. The center three cells of the canopy are open and the cells on each side of the center are closed with opening similar to a JVX. The GLX has no stabilizers, reinforced ribs and utilizes Spinnaker cloth. Spinnaker material has been used for years on ram air kites and paragliders. Spinnaker material is crisp and thick allowing it to hold the airfoil's shape better. Spinnaker material makes launching easier and is more rigid during flight. The GLX comes standard with two HMA or Vectran line sets. As an option, pilots can get a continuous line set allowing broken lines to be easily changed in the field without tools. A continuous line set makes loosing a line during flight less "stressful" since you have more attachment points between you and the canopy. If your serious about ground launching and want the most from your Bladerunning experience there is only one choice. Ask anyone who has flown a GLX and they will all tell you the same. See you at the launch point...***

oooooooook Spinnaker cloth im familiar with this in sailing and paragliding. but the G.L.X is and meant for ground launch and blade running but I wonder if you could pack it for a hop & pop blade run I'll ask jim that

the thread is dead