w-r-u

Can I get fully certified (USPA "A" license) in one week and how much will it cost?

Hi

I am completely knew here so first of all hello! :)
I wondered if you could help me with some questions I have about skydiving as I have never done it before.

I live in the UK and plan on heading to Burning Man festival this year at the end of August.

I plan on spending three weeks in the states, one week prior to the festival and one week after.

I wanted to know if it is possible to get a fully certified USPA "A" license in one week and how much I am likely to look at paying?

I also don't really know where to start looking for decent schools in the vicinity I will be flying into. (LA or San Fran).

I would really appreciate the answers to these questions and I'm sure more will follow!

1. Can I get a fully certified USPA "A" license in a week?

2. How much should I expect to pay?

3. Where shall I look to do this?

Many thanks

Mark

Hi

I am completely knew here so first of all hello! :)
I wondered if you could help me with some questions I have about skydiving as I have never done it before.

I live in the UK and plan on heading to Burning Man festival this year at the end of August.

I plan on spending three weeks in the states, one week prior to the festival and one week after.

I wanted to know if it is possible to get a fully certified USPA "A" license in one week and how much I am likely to look at paying?

It is possible but it depends on you being able to go through everything it requires. Cost will be between 3-5k $, again depending on how good (or badly) you perform.

I also don't really know where to start looking for decent schools in the vicinity I will be flying into. (LA or San Fran).

I would really appreciate the answers to these questions and I'm sure more will follow!

1. Can I get a fully certified USPA "A" license in a week?

2. How much should I expect to pay?

3. Where shall I look to do this?

Many thanks

Mark

List of most skydiving places near LA/SF.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

There are great DZs near LA, like Perris (with on-site tunnel), Elisnore, and Skydive San Diego. Any one of them can get you can A licesne, but the amount of time it will take isn't really up to anyone.

Even if you want to do it in a week, things like weather and your own limitations can extend the time line. However, if you have a week before and after Burning Man, a good idea would be plan to spend both of them at the DZ.

Weather is easy to understand, if it shuts down the DZ you're not jumping, but nobody knows what you're capable of. Some students are OK with making 3, 4, or 5 jumps a day, while others need some down time inbetween and can only manage 2 or maybe 3 per day. You also don't know if you'll get 'stuck' on any levels, and having to repeat a level once or twice will extend your training time, and probably shoot down some of your confidence and momentum.

I'm always critical of people who plan to travel and get their A licesne in a week because the tight time frame puts added stress on the process, and can push people to rush into things when they're not ready. If you're training at your home DZ, and you don't feel 'great' after a jump, crack open a beer and call it a day. If you're away from home and have a clock ticking toward your return trip, now you have pressure to jump when maybe you don't feel 'great'.

However, if you can spend both weeks (before and after) at the DZ, I think you have a great chance of getting it all done and without some of the pitfalls of the one-week plan.

As far as the cost goes, call the DZs and see who has a package deal, and go from there. Whatever they tell you, budget another $500 because it will end up being more then they say. Even if you sail through and get your A right on time and budget, now you have an A licesne and are at a great DZ, so you'll blow through the extra $500 on fun jumps in no time.

If doing it in a week is REALLY important, I would strongly suggest that you use a DZ with a wind tunnel nearby or on-site. That way if you get "stuck" struggling to get past a level in freefall, you can use the tunnel to fix the problem quickly and get back on schedule. From a California perspective that certianly would put Perris Valley (on-site) and Elsinore (nearby) on your list. I suspect that other DZs would fall in the "nearby" class (depending on how far you consider "nearby" to be).
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Hello! Good for you for making a decision to pursue your license! Last May I began my "A license in a week" training at Skydive Chicago. The week I had booked my training and took off work to spend at the DZ ended up being almost completely weathered out, so on subsequent weekends I had to travel to and from the DZ from my home in a different state. I received my A license at the end of July. In spite of the multiple trips and the 3-month time span, this schedule ended up being the best thing for me, as it allowed me time to absorb what I had learned. I found out after I enrolled that I really was not cut-out to earn my A license in a week, and I'm so glad my training did take longer. The only downside was the time it required for travel, and the added cost for the travel. For the training itself, the DZ was completely flexible even though I was technically an "A license in a week" student. If you are seriously considering pursuing your license in any sort of compressed time frame. I'd highly recommend purchasing your program as the total "A license" package. It definitely was a better value for me than if I had paid for each jump separately. There was also a sense of cohesiveness that I got from being one of the "license in a week" students as opposed to showing up at the DZ randomly and taking my jumps individually. Anyway, I suppose the "A license in a week" is possible to complete in the 7 days timeframe, but I agree with the former post that it totally depends on weather. Keep in mind that weather holds are common for students. Experienced jumpers can jump in winds that will ground a student. Be prepared to return to the DZ after that first week. Be flexible about the "in a week" schedule. As I said, in my experience, the greatest advantage was the cost. Purchasing my training in a package was definitely advantageous. However, if there is a chance that you will not be able to complete your A license at that specific DZ, you shouuld definitely find out if your training will transfer to the DZ that is local to your home. The training I did at Skydive Chicago would NOT have completely transferred to my local DZ where I live. I would have had to repeat some levels if I

had to finish up at my local DZ. ASK your local DZ before you invest in a program that you may not be able to complete, particularly because you are traveling international to do your training. Good luck to you! I hope you enjoy your training!

If you live in the UK why not just go to a UK dropzone and get a BPA A license? Assuming you want to jump when you get back. There are usually no major problems converting if you absolutely must get a USPA license for some obscure reason, but you'll find there are things you need to do again.

I think he wants to do it because he has some holiday time, and he's going to be in the US anyway. Pretty sound reason IMO!

I would say "get video of your jumps" though, as you'll find it a lot easier to slot back into UK jumping if you can show them your training. A freshly-minted USPA A license is a lovely thing, but won't necessarily be all a chief instructor over here might want to see before putting you on his plane.

If you're lucky, you might find a place that is familiar with the BPA license requirements (there are some differences) and can make sure you tick them off along the way as well.

Good luck, keep us posted!
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

If you want to maximise your chances of getting your licence and minimise the risk of repeat jumps, you could do some AFF training at one of the UK windtunnels before you go. They are near Bedford, in Manchester and in Milton Keynes.

If you know which dropzone will be your home DZ when you get back, ask whether they are organising any tunnel sessions you could join in with. Otherwise contact the tunnel you want to go to and explain that you want to prepare for AFF.
Anne

yes, it is possible.

It is rarely done.

For most people, getting to your A license is a very intense experience. To cram it all in one week successfully requires good luck, good weather and a very very intense "Type A" personality.

Here are a couple of questions to get you thinking:

Would you hire/trust/consult a:
Lawyer
Doctor
Accountant
Pilot
Parachute Rigger (someone who packs your reserve parachute)

who got their accreditation in an accelerated program?

Perris and the wind tunnel will get you skills that you need to pass.

Weather cooperation will be the main factor.

There is very few student who will fail after 30 to 60 min of tunnel time between level 3 and 4, and that tunnel time alone is 400 to 800 dollars.
65% don't need tunnel time at all, some do, few are required.

Just fill up the 25 with hop and pops for the quick jump number ups.

There is no way you'll be jumping after the burning man for atleast 2 to 3 day, you'll need recovery after the burn.

good luck.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

As long as the weather at Perris is good and you can handle multiple jumps in a day, as well as maybe some tunnel time if needed, you should be able to get it done in 7 to 10ish days...

If you plan on jumping at Burning Man I'm pretty sure you need at least 100 jumps, due to the crowds and the weather conditions (i.e weather) in the desert.

Good luck!

yes, it is possible.

It is rarely done.

For most people, getting to your A license is a very intense experience. To cram it all in one week successfully requires good luck, good weather and a very very intense "Type A" personality.

Lawyer
Doctor
Accountant
Pilot

Sure. The initial credentials for all the enumerated professions are all just a starting line. The years to get good at any of them total a lot more time than the initial training and everything beyond the minimum counts for more.

An A-license is similar but less significant. It's evidence that you probably know enough not to hurt yourself in a limited set of skydiving situations (but isn't enough to teach you the judgement you need too) although a half hour of freefall and couple dozen parachute landings (before the recent changes it just took seven minutes of supervision under canopy plus the corresponding landings) aren't anything compared to the hours and hundreds it takes to be decent.

I'm personally a fan of doing your AFF as quickly as you can. Multiple jumps a day, multiple days in a row if you can manage it. Yes, it's tiring, but in my experience, the learning curve is more constant, and you don't need to re-learn stuff after a break of several weeks (and re-conquer apprehension each time too).

Obviously, this isn't possible all the time...
Remster

yes, it is possible.

It is rarely done.

Lawyer
Doctor
Accountant
Pilot

Come on, it's not an accelerated program in the sense that you cut corners; you still do all the jumps and theory, and packing class etc The only difference is that you do them one after the other, and if you don't fail jumps, can finish in a week. To me it makes more sense than to jump once every few weeks, as you don't have to re-learn what you forgot during that time.

It is tiring, but well worth it in my opinion

I did it a few years ago at SDC in 7 days, and if I remember well, we had one weather day. That meant 4-5 jumps a day, packing class at the end of the day, camping at the dropzone, but also meet new friends and a taste of what the life on a dropzone is. And for what it'S worth I don't have a "very intense type A pesonnality" LOL!

I think it's a bad idea to plan on skydiving at Burning Man this year. The jump minimum may only be 100 for Burning Sky but I really think it should probably be raised to 200 and even then, you should only be jumping on the playa if you are VERY confident in your ability to land a parachute in challenging conditions.

It's not unusual to land in dust storms, variable wind direction, 20mph winds, gusts, etc. Also there is no pre-set landing area and you will be dodging guy wires, pedestrian, bicycle and vehicle traffic when you land.

On top of all that, if you've never been to Burning Man before I think it's a bad idea to spend your first year skydiving because that's a big commitment/time investment and you should be focused on having a safe and fun first burn. Non-jumpers are welcome to camp with us at Burning Sky though :)

http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

I did my skydiving training in less than a week (standard AFF, several years ago). I think there are a lot of advantages to it, many of which have been mentioned (currency, dedicated focus, savings, etc.). One more I'd like to mention is the higher level of focus you will likely get from your instructor(s) given that you will be doing some or all of those jumps during the week when those instructors have fewer students/commitments on their time. Also, if you do have weather, you're hanging out at the DZ with your instructors who are now bored because they can't jump. You will learn a lot from them in that instance; all isn't lost if the weather prohibits some of your jumps. Jumping during the week is also great for getting to know people in your new favorite sport. B|

I'd also like to suggest that if you're flexible on location, you might want to consider Skydive Spaceland (near Houston, Texas). They are open 7 days a week and have some fantastic instructors: www.skydivespaceland.com/learn-to-skydive/a-license-in-a-week

Blue Skies!
-=Christy=-
D-21464

Personally, I wouldn't like to be anywhere near a person that obtained A-license in just one week. I really wonder how do you combine jumping and learning a theoretical part of examination + folding a chute? And everything in one week? I'd really like to see it with my eyes. Especially to access the "proficiency" level of such person after he obtained his license.

Entire story sounds like "become a tandem master in 500 jumps". Well, wish you a lot of success with that, but please dont manifest the same load with me.

I'm personally a fan of doing your AFF as quickly as you can. Multiple jumps a day, multiple days in a row if you can manage it. Yes, it's tiring, but in my experience, the learning curve is more constant, and you don't need to re-learn stuff after a break of several weeks (and re-conquer apprehension each time too).

Obviously, this isn't possible all the time...

THIS^
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239