lifesatrip

Samuri in Ontario

Hi all, just wondering if there is anyone with a samuri 105 in Ontario. I am looking for a new canopy but live in Canada so we can't get demo canopies. Was hoping to try a samuri and maybe a katana and crossfire 2 out. Thanks for your help

Turbo ZX 165 ft²
helluva downsize, don't you think?

I have a Samuri 136. Jump in Grand Bend and Burnaby. Would be happy to let you try mine.

Blue Skies,

Willy

I hope you don't.

A Turbo Z (ZX with ZP only on the top skin) was my first canopy. The Turbo ZX is a ZP square not too different from an original Sabre, not very responsive to control input, it doesn't lose much altitude in turning manuevers, and the openings are very tolerant of inattention .

I own a Samurai 105. The Samurai is a high performance elliptical. It's sensitive to control input, dumps altitude in turns, and is somewhat likely to spin up if you don't pay enough attention on opening.

Making the huge planform change and shrinking two sizes at the same time is a bad and potentially lethal idea.

That ignores the original poster's weight which could make things much worse. He has a big 220 square foot reserve. Assuming that was sized for a 1.0 wing loading as is common for a first rig he's likely to be 220 - 240 pounds out the door for a wing loading of 1.6 - 1.8. At that wing loading you can go faster on plane-out than the Cessna 172 landing on the runway next to you. At that wing loading parachutes grow sharp, pointy teeth. If that's accurate and the original poster bought a 136 I'd bet money on at least a broken femur in the first year.

This assumes the post isn't a troll.

I'd bet money on at least a broken femur in the first year.

I think we should have an online pool of who's going to femur or die when making the leap to a highly loaded elliptical too soon. It would be neat to be able to go back and say "See, I told you it would happen" - and perhaps get the newbies to listen. On the other hand, that probably wouldn't work either.

This assumes the post isn't a troll.

It also assumes that his profile is up to date.

Either way - It would be prudent to evaluate his skills and speak with those who jump with him before actually providing a demo or loaner canopy.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

The canopy I had before my Sam was a Sabre 150. I got my Sam around jump number 400 and have put at least 450 jumps on it since. I am 200 lb. out the dooor which makes aprox. wing loding 1.5.
I have never had my canopy spin up on opening due to body position. Have even had a toggle come out on opening and it didn't spin up, just went into a hard turn til I popped the other toggle.
It is a different beast ( than a Turbo Z ) but I took it slow and learned the limits of my canopy and my comfort level when and how I fly it. And yes I have taken Brian's course and think more emphasis should be placed on canopy control.
I don't know his wieght and and potential wing loading ( if he was 240 out the door, no I would not let him try my canopy) but from the number of jumps he has going from a 165 to a 136 elliptical is not that radical. ( OK canopy Nazis scream hear) Just my opinion from my experience.
I would not reccommend going from a 165 to a 105 elliptical. Even if he only wieghs 150 lb. out the door.

BLue Skies,

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

Hi all, just wondering if there is anyone with a samuri 105 in Ontario. I am looking for a new canopy but live in Canada so we can't get demo canopies. Was hoping to try a samuri and maybe a katana and crossfire 2 out. Thanks for your help

Turbo ZX 165 ft²

derek is a lightweight guy and usually borrows a 135 or 120. So not as much of a downsize as you may think from reading his profile...

rm

Turbo ZX 165 ft²

derek is a lightweight guy and usually borrows a 135 or 120. So not as much of a downsize as you may think from reading his profile...

rm

Yes it is. Even if He's 105 lbs.

seems like a katana at 500-600 isn't a great idea for anyone, just my two cents though, cuz wtf do i know... even my sabre loaded at 1.6 dives enough to get you into trouble should a low alti maneuver come when you least expect it and it isn't even ellip.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

ok, my profile doesn't really give away my jumping experience. Yeah my set of gear is a big ass turbo z 165. But all I really used that gear for in the last couple hundred jumps is crw. I am a Canadian jumper who jumps all year long as long as i am healthy. My last 300 jumps have been on Sabre2 135, then a Stiletto 135 and finally I did a bunch of jumps on a Jedi 120, which I loved to fly. MY weight without gear is a cool 135 lbs.