Darius11

The no BS Honest swooping poll

I had around 250 jumps and hooked a hard 180 under a blade-runner 150 loaded at ~1.3. I was lucky enough to plow into the accuracy tuffet and bounce off of it, rather than the ground. I was out for a couple of weeks, which sucked at the time. In hindsight though, it was a good way to get some respect for the ground beaten into meB|:S
I got nuthin

Double fronts from a long time back could get even the old Maverick to swoop a ways, but I don't count that.

FR 90's and 180's around 1800 and into the current Stilletto (WL 1.6-1.7). No desire for anything more than that. My real desire is get that FR timed just right so the finish is cleaner.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I answered: I started front riser, 90, and 180 approaches sub 200 jumps and was fine
***I have to admit that at my level, I only do it on occasion an try to keep double front riser with straight in landsings.
I want to take a canopy course and NOT tempt fate any more than I have.

Started at about 160 jumps with a stileto 150(1.2),impulse 120(1.5ish),xfire97(1.8ish), VX84(2.2) at 750jumps i now have about 1200jumps.

I've never gotten hurt and i didn't set the best example in my progression cause i see others trying to follow my path. the canopies above are the ones i owned, i jumped every size canopy in between those sizes before i bought.

I contribute my progession to the RIGHT people that gave me advice, taking the information with a grain of salt, LISTENING to the people that know what they're talking about when i was doing somethign stupid, and doing a lot of jumping in a short amount of time (1200jumps in 2.5 years).
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Sorry I am late to this thread. Too much screwing around in the Bonfire. :D Started "Swooping" at around 75 jumps. Almost died once.......but NEVER actually hit the ground. A close call now and again. I seem to be the opposite of a lot of people that are agressive about swooping. I started early....most would say TOO early.....but I did it on LARGE canopies. Started learning on a PD 190. Used to freak a lot of people out doing hard 180's........often using both fronts to make it turn faster. At 130 some jumps I got a Stiletto loaded about 1.3. Several people expressed concern but not the people where I jumped. I had a scary moment or 3 on that canopy. Once again.....never hit the ground but learned A LOT! After I put about 300+ jumps on it......my "normal" landing was swooping while dragging both toes through the grass. I felt like I could land that canopy anywhere the laws of physics would let me. Downwind, cross wind, quartering......didn't matter. Then........I bought a Vengeance 150. Loaded about 1.5 I think. It's been a new experience. Mostly just getting used to the recovery arc and massive alti loss when you get in it hard. Yet......not THAT much new to learn. I do still have MUCH respect for it though. The PD 190 could have hurt me. The Stiletto could have maybe killed me if I tried REALLY hard. The Vengeance........it would without a doubt kill me if I screw up. I only have about 30 or so jumps on it now. I find myself being a bit more picky about my approaches. If it isn't right......I'll take it easy. ;)

Confession time - Started 90's at about jump 150. Then one day this past summer, about jump 300, I did a nice 180 right into the ground... Of course it was right in front of my mentors on the PST. I got really, really lucky, and ended up with two broken ribs, a separated shoulder, two knees with ligament damage, and a whole lot of wounded pride.:(

This is going to sound really twisted, but I'm glad it happened. I learned a valuable lesson (one of several) about 'the corner' that day. I was under a Saber2 loaded at about 1.5. Had I been under anything smaller, I probably wouldn't be here...[:/]

It took me about 10 jumps to get my nerve to swoop back, but I've since purchased a Neptune to assist in my setup. Overall, I feel like the incident has made me a wiser canopy pilot. Too bad it came at such a price... then again, many pilots paid a much higher price and never had an opportunity to learn from their mistake....:)

BTW, the pros comforted me by telling me about the time(s) they hooked in. Even the pros screwed up when they were 'young'.... ;)
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!