SkydiveMO

Xaos-27 Wing loading for distance

I have a question for the Xaos-27 pilots. What have you found to be your optimal wing loading for distance? I currently jump a Xaos-27 98 at a 2.4 wing loading and am getting amazing speed and distance. However, I wonder if I couldn’t greatly improve the distance with a larger wing and say a 2.2 or 2.0 wing loading.

All you Velocity, FX, VX, Xaos-21, etc. jumpers please sit on your hands for this one. I have test jumped all the other canopies and the Xaos-27 has best matched my style of canopy flight.

I played with exactly that loading for more than a year.

I was at 2.4 on my 88. I now jump my 98, and 93 27 cells, and get WAY more distance out of the 98 than I did from the 88. I'd say 2.1 to 2.2 is optimal. The 93 is better for speed runs, the 98 for distance, freestyle, and accuracy.

I have flown as small as a 72 Xaos 27 cell but the performance dies off quickly over 2.5 or so.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

That is probably one of the most asked questions out there (regardless of canopy type). And a very good one.

With all the research manufacturers put into design and testing, is there any form of documentation showing a wing loading efficiency curve for a particular canopy, all I have seen/heard is based on perceptions and "unofficial" (even if seemingly accurate).

One would think that such a graph would be standard in the research and development stage. Is there a reason this information would not be released?

whips n' chains n' hand-grenades with a little ugly on the side.

I don't think WL by itself tells the whole story.

Take a Xaos-27 68 and a 98 at the same WL. The 98 will go further while the 68 will be faster.

I know a lot of competitors are keeping the same WL by wearing lead and going up in size if they want distance.
Memento Audere Semper

To a point. Eventually though the extra drag produced by the much larger wing will counter the benefits. I doubt very much that we will be seeing people compete under 150s with shit buckets of lead on.

Proof is in the pudding though. Current distance record was under a 111. Previous distance record on a 103. The pilots MAY have had something to do with it too. ;)

Canuck