Squeak

150 container & 170 canopy

If i use a longer closing loop can i put a 170 canopy in a 135-150 container for a few months?
Before i get a 150 canopy?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

If i use a longer closing loop can i put a 170 canopy in a 135-150 container for a few months?
Before i get a 150 canopy?

Depends. What size and type of container and what type of main? I have a Spectre 170 shoehorned into a Vector III V344 (sized for a Spectre 150). I'm actually limited by the size of the bag and main container, not the length of the closing loop.

If you use a smaller packing 170 such as a 7 cell (eg spectre) you should be okay....
However, if I were you, I'd have a chat with a rigger, and the container manufacturer to be sure.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

You will need to check the pack volume of the 170 first. If it's ZP try for one with a few jumps on it (200 -300) or you're going to be sweating buckets when you try to pack it.

You could probably pick up a 170 made of F111 fairly cheaply - most 150 containers will take up to a 175 if it is F111 fabric.

Depends. If you're a good packer (or don't mind a tough pack job), and/or if you live in a more humid climate then it might be okay.

If you're just learning to pack, why put yourself through the hassles of learning to pack something that doesn't fit right? The difference between overall container size if you get one built to fit a 170 compared to one built to fit a 150 is about a half inch. If you aren't 5'5" and 120 pounds I doubt you'll notice a difference.

Another thing to consider is that most containers are sized for the reserve to be the same size or one size smaller than the main container is sized for. Feel confident that you can (safely, in a worst case situation, on your first jump with your own rig) land a reserve that is one size smaller than the main you feel safe flying?

Humidity is also an issue. If you jump in an area that is drier (desert, for example), your canopies will pack up bigger than they will if you live in an area that is more humid (Flordia, for example). It's easy to put a zp 170 in a Javelin J1 (built for 150) in Florida; it's a bit more work to pack the same gear in Eloy.

>If i use a longer closing loop can i put a 170 canopy in a 135-150
> container for a few months?

You can fit almost anything into almost anything. The question is - how safe will it be? You can generally go up or down one size without affecting deployment, protection or bag closure.

If you can't close the container even by lengthening the loop, obviously it's too big.

If you can lengthen the loop and close the container, but it's big enough that the d-bag is hanging out or the main pin protector no longer protects the pin, it's too big.

If you can get everything closed, but you have to really whale on the closing loop and pull the pin protector very tight, be aware that you are putting a lot of stress on the main container, and that may end up wearing your rig out prematurely (popped stitching, pulled grommets, damaged stiffeners.)

Bill -

You can fit almost anything into almost anything. The question is - how safe will it be? You can generally go up or down one size without affecting deployment, protection or bag closure.

Is it a more likely possibility of having a "nothing out" (because it got squinched in there really tight), and then, on dumping the reserve, you shake the main loose and go from nothing out to "two out"?

And in that scenario, in which reserve first then main, would that be more likely to cause an entanglement, or is that not necessarily so? (assuming you don't cutaway before deploying reserve)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

The mal would be PC in tow on a throw out or stuck pud on a pull out system.

And double outs are weird. The same set up migh be fine dozens of times, but one time it will just entangle for no reason. Best thing to do is avoid getting into this situation to start with.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Baglock means

The pilot chute has pulled out the bagged canopy up to line stretch, but the canopy stays in the bag. Time for plan B.
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

Question: A baglock is ?

The canopy is stuck in the dbag. Cutaway and pull your reserve.

The pilot chute has pulled out the bagged canopy up to line stretch, but the canopy stays in the bag. Time for plan B.

Yup...that cleared it up for me, thanks! :S;)

What I am thinking is is container lock, yes?

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

>Is it a more likely possibility of having a "nothing out" (because it
> got squinched in there really tight) . . .

I think that's rather unlikely. To cause a total, you'd have to assume a pullout that was so tight you couldn't extract the pin - you'd need a positive leverage device to get a pin that tight, and even then it would be hard to do. On a throwout, same deal except you'd get a PC in tow. It's just very hard to make the pin-extraction force high enough to cause a PC in tow unless you have other problems (like a rusty or damaged pin, or a trapped bridle.)

Once the container is open, again, it's rare that you could squeeze the main in there so tight that it's not going to come out. About the only time you see this is when there are other problems, like a line trapped by a grommet or something.

By far, the most problems I've seen with too-large canopies in rigs is exposed risers/lines/pins. This can result in a prematurely released toggle or even a mal when the toggle comes free and wraps around something.

I've had my Sabre 170 in my rig that was built for a 150 for almost 3 years. The main problem I've had is with the closing flap flipping up (not good because you could have a premature deployment). I've had this fixed by my rigger soon after it was noticed. I recently demo-ed a 150 and realized that if I ever go smaller than a 150, I'd have to get a new container because the 170 has stretched out the container a lot. But remember, I've been stuffing the 170 in it for almost 3 years. If you plan to downsize earlier than me, your rig will probably not stretch as much and you'd have more use out of it.