Dannost

Used reserve

I understand from other discussions that porosity increases with repacks more so than deployments, but this must not matter too much in terms of practical "wearing out" because F-111 mains still last for hundreds of jumps before their performance is not acceptable, and they get a repack and deployment with each jump.

The porosity may increase, but I think that the effect of deployments and repacks on the strength of the fabric is what should be investigated. The porosity change just can't matter that much.

Where am I wrong?

You jump a Triathalon 190 right? That's a ZP 7 cell. If you want the Raven as a main you'll HATE it because as F-111 it will seem to sink like a stone and have no flare compared to the Tri. Ravens generally open with a BANG! as well.

Dont Buy it!!!
Why?
If you jump a Zp,you will fall to sleep,i agree.But..It dosent sink like a stone,unless you over load it,or it have many many jumps..ANd they dosent open whith a BANG,unles you pack for it..
How can i tell?
In Denmark(talking most from my DZ),student flyes Ravens,i did also(i were student 3years ago),this summer i had a jump in the Raven i used,3years earliger,it felt the same(we does not have as many studetns as you have),,but i belive it will have aprox 200 more jumps now..

As Reserve?Forget it,think i dont have to explian.
by the way,i love my Micro Raven g120,even i still "only"have 2 jumps on it.

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

> but this must not matter too much in terms of practical "wearing
> out" because F-111 mains still last for hundreds of jumps before
> their performance is not acceptable . . .

I once made the mistake of jumping a PD150 with ~200 jumps on it. It stalled hard when I flared it and dumped me on my butt. Quite painful. I erroneously thought that a PD150 would be more forgiving than a Sabre 150, but in fact at 200 jumps the opposite was true. A friend had a PD170 with 500 jumps, and the same started to happen to him.

I think there are two issues:

1. F111 type fabric increases its porosity every time you pack it. If you're using a Raven II (218 sq ft) it's not much of an issue; you could probably put 500 jumps on such a canopy and still get acceptable landings. if you have a PD143 at 1.3 to 1 loadings, then even 100 repacks might be too many when it comes to getting a good landing out of the parachute. It has been my observation that more people go the PD143 route than the Raven II route.

2. Openings are an issue as well. Even a minor increase in porosity may affect the reserve's opening speed, which is a big deal.

I agree, and load my F-111 9-cell canopy pretty lightly at about 1.1:1, at about 150 jumps it still planes out great.

My point though, is that some would have you believe that 20 repacks on a reserve might be getting to be too much, and I can't agree with that. for the reasons I stated before.