captainquim

problems with rear riser mods

i have recently carried out the following mod on my rear risers....
i have found that sliding the plastic d link protectors on my rear risers half way down my mini risers is helping me to grip them. i have found that when i stab the rear risers at the start of my swoop, sometimes my hands slip and i have to go straight on to toggles.
i have spoken to a uspa rigger and he suggested putting some dive loops onto the front side of my rear risers, but i am worried that the excess brake line will get caught in them on opening. has anyone else got a rear riser dive loop mod, or heard of any other modifications that can solve this problem?

Google answers all...:P

Its a "grabby" stretchy material that doesn't use an adhesive to stick, it uses friction, so it doesn't trash your gear, but it gives you a good friction surface. CRW folks use it on their blocks and such to make risers easier to grab and pull.

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/ccn_search/st/vet%20wrap/sy/productsx/ccsyn/260/prd/14313650/ccsid/269416905-2449/adtg/10070423
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Maybe you should think along the lines that CReW dogs do if you're having problems with grip. Get some vet wrap to put on your risers.

Vet wrap is pretty bulky and to get it thick enough to make a good gripping surface requires 5-10 wraps of the risers. This creates a lot of bulk.. not a problem for CReW dogs.. but I doubt it will fit within the riser covers of most swooper's rigs.. Vet wrap also needs to be tacked down or wrapped over blocks or it will just slide down the risers like the problem the poster was having before. I'd recommend just putting some blocks on the rear risers.. just two layers with maybe a little plastic strip on the inside for reinforcement would work.. or if you stitch the block properly so that it won't bend as much.

I was reading your post and was just curious if I heard you right. You "stab" your REAR risers at the beginning of your swoop? Just out of curiousity, what's your method of initiating your swoop. Myself, the only time I touch my rears during a swoop is after I've done my 270 and I'm trimming out and flaring it out as flat as I can get it before I transfer to toggles.
Jason Jerusalem
[email protected]

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=462311#464431

There's a good post with showing the difference. I think done well, using tacked down vet wrap might work.. worth a shot.. Or maybe vet wrapping around the tapered area of the riser.. Basically something to hold the vet wrap in place.. because it might just slide ... it just depends how well the vet wrap will hold onto your risers.. However.. my guess is that small stiff blocks would work better and be safer.. I'd just hate to think what might happen if your vet wraps slips when you really need your rears.. but that's not a decision for me to make..

hey jasy baby,

i've done a fair few swoops now, and i've found that the most fun way is to pull a front riser, and then stab on the rear risers just above ground level as my canopy doesn't recover by itself (it's a vx). the plastic d link covers have been working ok most times, but sometimes one side slips lower than the other, causing me to flare unevenly - it gives me an involuntary carve, but it looks quite cool!
i'm really looking for an alternative to the plastic grips - any reccomendations - as i think that these may also be the reason that i am not getting much distance, and also getting wet alot!

Give a man a fish and he will feed himself for one day. Give him a swoop pond and he will feed himself forever.

I don't have any time under VX's, but typically the basic swoop is relatively similar. You know the whole: optimal powerband, starting with a nice 270 initiating on front risers (whatever your preference is), coming off the powerband, trimming out with rear risers, and transfering to toogles. Of course there's much much more for me to learn about swooping, but I find that my rear risers are fine without modifications. The only thing I changed about my risers is that I got the 24" Swooper Mod Risers from Sunpath. It has very nice large front riser loops that are reinforced by stiffeners (whatever you might call it).

I was reading the previous responses regarding the material that the CRW people use. I'm not too educated on the CRW mods, but seems like that would be a good idea if it's something you'd want to do. In my opinion, I think that would be a much safer way to go about getting a better grip on your rears than the slider bumpers. I definitely would NOT advise on using your slider bumpers for gripping. I personally do not think it's a safe way to go about getting a grip on your rears. Especially if you say that the bumpers are sliding down and it's making you carve your canopy involuntarily at times.

That's just my point of view though. Definitely ask around your DZ and others what they think is a safe alternative. Better yet, if you have access to some of the guys and girls on the Pro Tour, try to get their opinion on the matter. Great luck to you and safe swooping!! ;)
Jason Jerusalem
[email protected]

and then stab on the rear risers just above ground level as my canopy doesn't recover by itself

Stabbing is never good. Smooth is the key. Apply the rear riser pressure higher and more smoothly, it'll make your landings much better.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Various blocks can be installed. One friend put welding rings about 1 1/2" or 2" on his french links. This just hangs there and adds bulk to grip.

Or you can try changing your hands by wearing something like Neuman Receiver Gloves. I personnally wear gloves on every jump after years of tearing up my hands.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE