jdfreefly

think you're an exceptional student? Read this

Think you are too good at this shit to get hurt? Think you are ready to move forward even though the majority of the people out there tell you that you are not?

Yeah SkyHigh, I'm talking to you. Make sure you read the whole thread or you will miss something.

http://www.freefalladventures.com/CrossKeys/skydiving/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=121

It is way too fucking easy to bite off more than you can chew in this sport. You think you know what you are getting yourself into, but you don't.

Will we be having an "I told you so" thread for you too?

Methane Freefly - got stink?

HAHAHHAHAH!!! "I did everything right, I swear! My legs just... broke." Oh, man. That's good stuff. I love these DGITs. The best is when they pound in and think about downsizing on the next jump. Or another good one, "I need something with a longer recovery arc to give me more time to stab out." WTF?! HAHAAHHAA!

Kids, get a clue, please.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

man it's true I remember being at 400+ jumps and coming in at a strait in on a crossfire just to get a feel for the flair P.S it was a warm day anyway im coming in over some houses and wam some nasty turbulence buckeld the canopy and allmost spun it up when I hit I thought I broke my leg just some real nice bruising so your just going to haft to accept that shit does and will happen.

Haha, well at least the guy tried to warn him, but with 50 jumps he wants to go to a stiletto 135 huh?

So confident in himself that he even orders a rig made to fit a 135.

Now i remember when i had 50 jumps and i remember thinkin the same thing... "Well i will just take it easy for awhile on it" Thankfully i got slapped back into reality.

Sometimes it takes something like someone just telling you that you ARENT ready for it. Im glad i took my time and i have a lotta fun swoopin my sabre2 135 now. Im also glad that i waited until i had at least 150 jumps on it.

I can get away with being on a 135 with only 150 jumps because i dont weigh so much.

--I don't even know enough to know that I dont know--

I saw that up there and wanted to bring it here but did'nt know how to, great way of doing it!

Its funny, the excuse I've heard recently is "But I'll get coaching!" but rarely do they. All it takes is for one respected person to say go for it and dozens of people opinions get ignored since "xXx" told me that I was a great pilot and would have no problems.

A great pilot knows that he does'nt know jack and is probally already over stepping his limits so he plays it safer then others. I'm not impressed by someone on a Velocity having to stab it out since they are consistantly too low, I'm more impressed by some one on a light loading hitting the X every time.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

:D

you made a whole thread to tell me I'm going to get hurt? awwe, I"m flattered :P

It's possible that you'll have an "I told you so" thread for me. Hell, when it happens (providing I survive) I'll throw up my own "you told me so" thread.

p.s. prozak will make you hate stuff less ;):)
SKYDIIIIVE!

BE THE BUDDHA!

You know, I tried to help you out earlier in your thread, but now your beginning to piss me and abunch of other people off here. Stop being combatative, shut the fuck up and just listen to what people are trying to tell you instead of waiting to run off at the key board, and get your post numbers up.
And if you are feeling some resentment from this here impersonal internet communication, then your starting to catch on.>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
Refer to my post in the inbetweeen canopy thread.

Maybe in cases like these the best thing is just to ignore the "think they're so special" newbies when it goes so far that they're starting threads just to say how great they can land and swoop.
It keeps going back and forth, they will not give in and they're just enjoying the attention and trying to prove to everyone that they in fact ARE special.
Save your nerve for someone worth it. I doubt they'll get much attention when they crash cause there's so many of them.
So if they're not listening, don't waste your breath.

One of the instructors once told me: Do not underestimate the self-cleansing nature of this sport.

If they don't listen the first or third time, chances are they won't until they hurt themselves,isnit?

Maybe he'll have a good halloween costume made by Mother Earth by then :o

Nadine

Haha, well at least the guy tried to warn him, but with 50 jumps he wants to go to a stiletto 135 huh?

Now i remember when i had 50 jumps and i remember thinkin the same thing... "Well i will just take it easy for awhile on it" Thankfully i got slapped back into reality.

Sometimes it takes something like someone just telling you that you ARENT ready for it. Im glad i took my time and i have a lotta fun swoopin my sabre2 135 now. Im also glad that i waited until i had at least 150 jumps on it.

I can get away with being on a 135 with only 150 jumps because i dont weigh so much.

havn't most of us been there at some point?

i know i have and it wasn't until i got away with a bad leg for a couple of weeks on a sabre2150 i shouldn't be badgering people about letting me jump a stilletto 150 ...

i've settled on a sabre 1, 150 and shit.. i forgot how nippy these things were .. i'm gonna be happy on the sabre for at least another 200 jumps then maybe get me a VX 39 or summit ;)

my i know what i can do and i know i'm good, came at about 60 jumps or so.. didn't take long for reality to kick in that i know fuck all ! here i am at 145 jumps, with both legs and enjoying my life ....

thankyou to all the people who made me listen ..

in addition,
i think with some people the only time when they realise they are wrong is when they prove it to themselves,

by either biffing (like i did but it was only a tiny tiny scare that was enough for me to listen) or going in....

i know of a few people who are going to hurt themselves but still choose to not listen, and the only way they will EVER learn is by hurting themselves BADLY....

these people a couple have MORE jumps than me and more experience, but beacuse of this they think they don't have to learn any more and are invincable, i've got under 150 jumps and know that if they carry on they are going to hurt themselves...

even from someone who has been there not so long ago... just because i have less jumps i have less knowledge, it's sickening..

i'm not saying i'm a miserable bastard these days.. just alot more aware .. the millisecond you make a wrong move in this game of chess, Gravity will win every single game with sickening regularity....

YOU HAVE 45 JUMPS IN ONE YEAR.
YOU HAVE 45 JUMPS IN ONE YEAR!

dO WHAT YOU WANT, bUT AT MY dz YOU EITHER LISTEN OR YOU JUMP SOME PLACE ELSE, tHINK ABOUT IT YOU GET HURT TIME OUT OF SKY DIVING, yOU GETPERMENANTLY HURT YOU NEVER JUMP AGAIN. DON'T BE A FOOL THER IS PLENTY OF TIME.
FATONES!!

, yOU GETPERMENANTLY HURT YOU NEVER JUMP AGAIN. DON'T BE A FOOL THER IS PLENTY OF TIME.

i dont think that can be said enough.
i read it on another incident report somewhere.

"you have your whole life ahead of you to skydive, unless you get a canopy too aggresive for your skill level."

incase your all wondering, im AL on that thread.
i didnt really mean too act like that much of a pootie head, but im sooooo sick of this same storyline being played out again, and again, and again.

being at the dz everygoddamn day (as im sure any of you who've ever worked at a dz before know) gets you pretty jaded to the "look at me, im a special little flower crap"

your not, your a goddamn human lawndart, waiting for its coordinates. been there, done that, spent my share of time bouncing off the ground like gumby and picking dirt out of my teeth.
(now i just brush the dirt off my butt:ph34r::D)

i never thought i would turn into such a canopy nazi,
but i guess learning from my mistakes makes me appreciate the more conservative approach, and to me thats what the whole thing was about, learning from mistakes made, not sugarcoating it.
you fucked up, now your fucked up, get a bigger parachute and try it again.

and if you havent hurt yourself yet, and people are telling you your going to, go read as many incident reports as possible, and see how many say some thing like "jumper had been warned about their, behavior/choices) theyres quite a few of them.

Great post.

I have been lurking these threads and I guess I'll break down and jump in here.

Let's hope that his guys is better than the average bear and let's hope he is getting some coaching, although many of us will diagree with what he seems to be getting told from his 10,000 jump instructor.

Maybe he will get lucky and not serious hurt himslef. The other side is IF all of this works out and he gets to a crossbraced 2:1 or higher. Then from what I have seen, he will likely be the guy doing less than perfect approaches, digging out, making turns that kill speed, and thinking he is doing great with a 200' swoop. The skills needed should be learned now during a conservative loading and approach. In 50 jumps, it is impossible to do every manuever that the canopy will do in multiple situations: different temps, humidity, winds, etc. I can generally giver someone with 100 jumps a set of tasks that takes them another 50 jumps just get marginally adequate with that they really need to have before doing the things this guy is doing.

I will say what so many before have said to this guy. Back off, get around a 1:1 and learn the basic skills. Even if you don't care about the risk, learn the skills so you can be that guy that make a nice, consistent, accurate swoop in the future. If you keep doing what you are, I hope that you get away some day with only having to back up and learn skills that you skipped over now.

Todd

I am not totally useless, I can be used as a bad example.

"your not, your a goddamn human lawndart"

- I resemble that remark....above 4000ft........lol

My (quickie) philosophy on this type of situation:
1) Get your S&TA and DZO involved to ground him or her. Period. Jumpers with that few jumps and that cavalier attitude simply don't deserve to be in the air.
2) Make it clear to the person who sold him or her the small canopy that you and all of your friends will no longer patronize them for gear and you will spread the word to others.
3) Don't waste your time or energy with someone that won't listen. Like going for your hackey, try once, try twice, no luck? Then go silver, leave it (and them alone). If enough people ignore them, refuse to be in the air with them, they will eventually get the point.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

I scratched my head at his reasoning for that.

At a similar number of jumps, I bought my first rig. I bought a rig made to fit a 135 also. It was for the same reason too! To make the container last longer for me...

I.e. I crammed a Spectre 150 in it knowing I could downsize twice before selling it. :S

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

Quote: "man it's true I remember being at 400+ jumps "

As I recall, that was about a week ago until you changed your profile and like majic, you had 1000. You and Variant would make great friends. How about Team Auger?

ron 600+ not 400+ and the reason for the jump number increase was ive been real busy and I decided to update it well sory I just didn't think much of it.

P.S it wasn't a week ago

I almost think people are trying to get you pissed off, and maybe get you to go off on the same tirade that I've seen played out here by others before you. (All this talk about how people learn at different rates, and they pick things up quickly, and could be just naturally gifted.)

I don't care what others say, keep that sense of humor. You may need it.

Man,I gotta get out there tomarrow, got so much stuff to try from brian's book and you guys...

I think I"m gonna trim back and get 45's down fairly solid. ...hmm

I want you all to know that this book is opening my eyes a lot. again, the information being presented to me is what's shaping me, rather than being told I"m going to die over and over.

this new information is making me re-think things. (not slowing my intensity towards learning and mprovement, just the plan in which I attack the obstacles of ignorance) In all honesty, this book may have extended my life-span

Obviously, the above is from your now locked thread.
You're not flying your wing at too heavy a wingloading, and you've gotten the book and read it. This is good. I hope you paid particular attention to the first few pages of chapter 5. As I said before, same message as here, but far more tact and less cynicism. You're obviously hungry, but if you read and understood it, I don't think you need it pounded further into your head.

My only suggestion would be to back off of inducing speed at all in your landings, and focus on accuracy. Play all you want up high, and practice the excercises suggested in the book, but dial in your accuracy first when you land. (And I mean for more than just the next ten jumps) As Brian said:"Don't run before you are the best walker you can be."

I would also urge you to take Brian's course if the opportunity presents itself. It's worth every penny. Good luck.