skyhighkiy

Just a story of my accomplishments in landing :)

well, I posted about...a week and a half ago about how I was progressing 90* (front) risers closer and closer to the ground for my landing.

On sat. I went out for my 1st jump (#50) and pulled high (4500) messed around w/ the front risers for a bit to get ready and made my final

cranked the front left riser down and came out of the 90 high enough to have to pull the right down with it for about 2 seconds, flare and drag the foot through the pees, popped it up at the end and walked away. I've made about 6 landings like that since, and I"m lovin it.

Yes yes, I know, I know, I'm a crater waiting to happen, I'm gonna die or break somethin, blah blah blah, it's all been said so don't bore me w/ how I'm going to kill myself, we'll all die some day.

I just wanted to share my experience because I"m excited about it :)

and also to ask about more tips on this kind of landing, any information whatsoever is accepted, I've been reading extensively on canopy control and ordered Brian Germaine's book a couple of days ago. Thanks!!

BE THE BUDDHA!

Quote "Yes yes, I know, I know, I'm a crater waiting to happen, I'm gonna die or break somethin, blah blah blah, it's all been said so don't bore me w/ how I'm going to kill myself, we'll all die some day."

Nice attitude. You should brag to your wuffo friends as they might actually be impressed. You won't make many friends and last very long with that attitude.

And yes, with only 50 jumps you are an accident waiting to happen. In your case I'll just wait and read about it rather than waste my time trying to warn you.

here's an idea buddy, next time, why don't you just pull your reserve instead of your main? :o

from your profile it's a 150 compared to a 170, so obviously it should give you a much longer swoop, and you'll look real cool too, just like the pro-swoopers with no bag-bridle-PC on the canopy... B|

joking aside, as in most things in life, but especially in skydiving you can observe the following pattern:

* experienced persons perform advanced manoeuvres

* inexperienced persons emulate the experienced persons and attempt similiar advanced manoeuvres or express interest in doing so

* most inexperienced persons have the good sense to listen to the experienced persons when coached on doing these manoeuvres or working up to them

* some inexperienced persons figure experience means nothing and chooses to ignore the advice of experienced persons

* these inexperienced persons who chose not to listen end up in exactly the situation the experienced people tried to help them avoid - be that embarrased, injured or dead

of course, there will be exceptions, but they are very rare and counting on being the exception is like counting on winning the lottery for your retirement plan

I'm sure you can see where you fit in that pattern going by your posts.

I don't know if you've ever fractured anything or gotten seriously hurt, trust me when I say it's worth avoiding it..... :P:SB|

keep this up and not only will you be lucky to survive your imminent injuries, you will get no sympathy from anyone due to your attitude

soon to be gone

I'd say nice job, but seriously... we have similar experience levels, fly similarly loaded canopies (mains at least), and I can't even fathom doing a double-front approach at my experience level.

I jump with some of the best coaches/people on earth and when the guy with 2500 jumps who flies an Icarus VX loaded at 2.4 suggests I do or don't do something, I listen... try it... or you won't live to fly a Katana or Velocity.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I don't do ANYTHING under 1000 ft other than straight in landings.
I don't have the experience overall OR the time under this canopy to even think of pressing the limits of my life expectancy.
Take canopy classes. It's worth your life.

***I'm a crater waiting to happen, I'm gonna die or break somethin, blah blah blah, it's all been said so don't bore me w/ how I'm going to kill myself, we'll all die some day.
================================

OK, but are we all going to die on a DZ? How do you think the DZO wil feel when trying to manange the bad press of a fatality? What about the staff (and DZO) who are going to experiecne a loss of income because you acted like a dumbass, and now the DZ is shut down for several hours due to ambulances/helicopters in the landing area?

OR

Do you have health insurane? If so, your reckless actions, and the possible severe trauma will ring up untold medical bills (possibly for the rest of your life) the burden of which the rest of us will have to bear via increased insurance premiums.

No insurance? You've just dug yourself a hole of debt you'll never see the top of. Your friends and family will end up supporting you while you struggle to pay off a small percentage of the bills.

Those same friends and family may also end up wiping your ass for the rest of your life depending on the extent of your injuries.

All of this because you couldn't put in a couple hundred jumps with a conservative canopy, and flying a conservative pattern. With the advanced training available today, you could be out-swooping guys will 1000+ jumps if you put in 250 conservative jumps, then invested in some one on one coaching.

Way to make those good decisions.

Tree that wasn't very nice.

When was the last time you got to see a Compound Femur Fracture up close? Rather than ridicule, you should be encouraging him to go big on a regular basis.

The catch is to always have video with good microphones to capture the sound. It's AWESOME! While you're at it get some great footage of the labored breathing and writhing in pain, assuming concsiousness. Be sure to get close ups of the distorted legs. Man I can't tell you how bummed I was not to have footage of my buddies leg when his foot first took rest near his ear. It looked weird at first but a few minutes later, after the shock set in, a cameraman came to the rescue. Several camera angles later, it looked rather classy.

Actually I see nothing wrong with a double front landing approach. Or at least beginning to use them up higher and bring it down a little at at time.

It's the 90 degree turn to the double fronts.

This quote from Whatever speaks volumes.

* inexperienced persons emulate the experienced persons and attempt similiar advanced manoeuvres or express interest in doing so

If you see someone do it, and try it blindly, have the video camera ready to capture the entire moment in case it becomes spectacular. I'm not joking about the video part either.

ooh well, at least I tried to share my experience w/out hearing the same thing repeated that everyone on this forum has said to me...in fact, someone will probably take this sentence and reply to it.

It's kind of like when you get a really sweet car that you're excited about and want to tell all your friends about and they start pointing out flaws.

But, I guess I can re-iterate one thing to shoot down at least one part of the warnings against me.

I'm being closely observed and trained by an extremely experienced jumper (somewhere around 10,000, tandem master, master rigger, IAF instructor, coach) that we all consider a safety freak. He has seen all my landings (He took me on my 1st tandem and has trained me since day 1, and all the way through the course) and has encouraged me to continue what I'm doing, as long as I don't get any more intense than what I'm doing now.

aaah, well, anyway, blue skies to you all and many happy jumps :)

BE THE BUDDHA!

It's kind of like when you get a really sweet car that you're excited about and want to tell all your friends about and they start pointing out flaws***

No it's not. It's nothing like it at all. A really sweet car is an object that can sit in your driveway and look nice whether you can drive it skillfully or not. A 90 degree front riser turn to final is a manuever that adds risk to your approach. It usually requires good judgement, discipline, and situational awareness, but it can also be accomplished with just luck. And once it's completed, it's over, gone. It no longer matters how well you did. All that matters is the next one.

I don't mean to get down on you about this, because if you're interested in swooping, that's great. Swooping rules. But just consider carefully learning the boring stuff first. The flat-turns, braked approaches, etc. That stuff might save you one day under a more highly loaded canopy, and you will be one smiling skydiver if it ever does. You'll be glad you did your homework early on.

Brian Germain's book is a very good place to start. I believe you'll find his sentiments to be similar to many you'll find here, just presented with a little more tact and a tad less cynicism. Good luck.

just presented with a little more tact and a tad less cynicism.

You mean I'm not tactful:D

That's probably true, I'll try and find time tonight for a more reasonable response. Though I really liked the first one.:)
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

ooh well, at least I tried to share my experience w/out hearing the same thing repeated that everyone on this forum has said to me...in fact, someone will probably take this sentence and reply to it.

let me prove you right then! ;)

it's ALL about sharing experiences, that's just what all the experienced people here are doing (not counting me, I know I'm inexperienced), sharing their experiences in skydiving with you... B|

please keep sharing your experiences with us! it makes for some of the most exciting reading on here, and I for one will post no more words of caution, having said all I feel is appropriate, I am now a spectator...

BSBD

sam
(a not-so-proud member of the titanium club):|

soon to be gone

just presented with a little more tact and a tad less cynicism.

You mean I'm not tactful:D

That's probably true, I'll try and find time tonight for a more reasonable response. Though I really liked the first one.:)
You're totally tactful. These pussy-whipped goatfuckers just get offended too easily. ;)
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

I'm being closely observed and trained by an extremely experienced jumper (somewhere around 10,000, tandem master, master rigger, IAF instructor, coach) that we all consider a safety freak. He has seen all my landings (He took me on my 1st tandem and has trained me since day 1, and all the way through the course) and has encouraged me to continue what I'm doing, as long as I don't get any more intense than what I'm doing now.reply]

Get a second opinion...

Have a 2nd, and a 3rd opinion.

aaanywho, yeah, I recieved brian germaine's book in the mail today and am about halfway through it now, absolutely awesome, I'm lovin it.

the post about brake approaches and flat turns'n'stuff (freeflyl drew, this is just a general reply now to the replies) I've been practicing flat turns and brake appraoches, etc. since halfway through my 4 IAFs in training, I know, still very little experience in it, but I"m consistantly working on all that stuff too :)

Phreezone, yes, my mentor does nice hooks. It's one of those guys that everyone goes outside to watch when he makes a landing. nearly every non-tandem landing is a hook.

Chaps, in response to "why did you do it"(write my post). I wrote on here because I consider skydivers a group that's fairly exclusive, although welcoming. I consider skydivers a family, and the only people that can even begin to understand anything I"m talking about. talking to wuffos is fine....but talking amongst brothers is way more fun.

ManBird, if there's anything I'm not, it's a goatfucker. CAmels, maybe. but goats? come on now.

mm, idea, I'll record some landings this weekend and throw up the links. feel free to tear me apart then :D

Sianara!

P.S. anyone have any stories of bad landings they've done themselves?

BE THE BUDDHA!

Dude,

If your hearing it a lot then chance are you are not recieving the message. Yes that first hook turn feels great and that first swoop close to the ground is awesome. Why do you think we continue to do it? Do you think we are going to impress chicks? (your fuckin A right we are), but it's hard to impress them if your broken. Going for the sympathy action only gets you the "motor scooters" if you know what I mean (fun to ride but not in front of your friends).
I did a fast canopy progression when I started, and it only set me back in the long run. I would be twice the canopy pilot I am today if I focused on the fundamentals on bigger canopy's when I had low jump numbers. All of my buddies told me I was going to get hurt, but I was to good to get hurt (in my own mind). Luckily I never broke anything, and I look back in amazement, and am thankfull I had some experienced buddy's trying to look out for me.

As for all of you guys trying to get skyhighkiy to come around by belittleing him instead of offering helpfull advise, your just showing your own inexperience. Stop being ass holes, and try to teach intead of ridiculing each other.

nice post Spizz.

The guy clearly wants to swoop - Just like most of you will have done and we all know that saying 'don't do it' does fuck all.

try and educate him before he becones a statistic. >:(

maybe you're all so good and so experienced that you forget how it feels to be a newbie wanting to climb that ladder?

(Hookitt makes me laugh...;):D)

Its pretty much pointless with guys like this. Why try to sugar coat it? He already thinks he knows it all. My gosh, one person with some jumps thinks he is ready for it, how could everyone else question that one guy? I don't know this guy and I don't really give a crap if this guy digs a hole with his body. I am quite bored with the attitudes of these ZERO jump nothings. Thats right Skyhole, you rank at pretty much nothing in jumps, skill, and attitude. You knew in advance that you would get these responses, so why did you post? Not enough attention from Mommy? 45 jumps is nothing. You have no business attempting anything to do with high performance anything. Learn basic skills, survive for a year or two, and start a slow prgression that has a long term outlook. That would be impressive and worth posting about. Otherwise you are simply saying, hey guys, watch this! And we all know what follows that statement. THUMP!

You can not teach those who are not interested in learning.

hahaha, treejumps, you're a funny guy :D

Why try to sugar coat it? He already thinks he knows it all.

I believe that I know absolutely nothing compared to what I could know about the amazing world of skydiving, that's why I'm always in here saying things like "anyone have tips on this? what are some books I can get? Look at my jumps before you listen to anything I have to say"

That's why I've been so hungrily reaeding every bit of info I can get my hands on, and why I'm reading brian germaine's book.

I know very, very little about the skydiving world. That's why I need people like you...well....maybe not people like YOU, you may try to get me killed. but you know, more experienced skydivers.

I don't know this guy and I don't really give a crap if this guy digs a hole with his body. I am quite bored with the attitudes of these ZERO jump nothings.

see now...this doesn't really make sense to me....if Idon't care about something, and I don't want to put my 2 cents in about how much I know....I leave that thing alone.

Thats right Skyhole, you rank at pretty much nothing in jumps, skill, and attitude

my attitude, if you've ever gotten through a single post of mine without getting angry ;) Is one of, I'm obsessed w/ the sport, I want to progress quickly, I realise what Ii'm doing at my level is EXTREMELY dangerous, and l make sure other ppl are away and discourage other miniscule # jumpers from trying what I'm trying. I'm a sponge for info on canopies and flight and I want to talk to other members of this sport for information on it. In order to learn to avoid the ground, rather then being told repeatedly I'm going to hit it. Jumpsp, skill=0 My attitude is great. It's not cocky, I'm nothing special, I just wanwt to progress

You can not teach those who are not interested in learning.

I had a good long laugh when I read this one. :D
I believe it should be revised "You can not teach those who you are not willing to teach"

b.t.w. hookitt, I never told U, great 1st post :)
aaah well, this thread is just kinda bouncing back and forth so I guess we should end it? I'll try and throw some video on Here, L8erz!B|

BE THE BUDDHA!

Hookit: It does matter and you won't believe it until you have more.

This is so true. When I look back to when I had 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, etc, etc, etc jumps I shake my head. I sucked ... and guess what? Assuming I survive I'm sure when I reach 2000+ jumps I'll look back to where I am right now and I'll say I sucked.

Dude confidence is good, over confidence is deadly. Reading books like Brian Germaines book is good. Keep it up. At least you'll have more info than some of the crater predecessors had. But just because you've read a book doesn't mean that you're ready to swoop. Learning to swoop takes hundreds and hundreds of jumps on each canopy starting from larger ones and working your way down. I have 80 jumps on my current canopy (more than your total jumps) and that's shit. I'm only starting to touch the potential of my canopy and it's going to require hundreds and hundreds more jumps before I truly learn it. Then if/when I do downsize, guess what? I have to start from scratch all over again doing straight in approaches before I do 90s, 180s and 270s.

Don't take us wrong. It's not that we don't want you to learn to swoop. Swooping is a beautiful thing. It's just that people with experience have seen your type before. (and I'm not in the same league as guys like Hookit and Treejumps are to name just a few when it comes to experience). Be smart and don't rush things. Learn the slow flight characteristics of your canopy before you swoop it and learn how it performs. Learn how much altitude it eats up on certain types turns and do all this stuff up high before you bring it down low.

Have fun, be safe. Don't be an incidents report. ;)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over