ParaShoot

JC sets new swoop world record

Just now JC Colclasure, team member of Icarus Team Extreme, made an incredible swoop at the Dutch Swooping Tour competition at DZ Stadtlohn, swooping a distance of 132.85 mtr (435.86 ft.). There was only moderate, almost cross-wind.

Although there were 10 DST judges only the chief judge has FAI/IPC ratings so I don't know yet if it'll be an official IPC record.

Video will be posted soon by Saskia (Dragon2).

OK, some more info.

DZ Stadtlohn is a Dutch club about 3 miles over the German border and is situated at 157 mtr (515 ft) above MSL. It was very hot (± 30C° ~ 86F°) and humid. Probably the combination of this resulted in many long swoops.

The entry gates were equipped with the DST sensor system so 100% proof of passing the 5 ft. entry.

This was the 7th event of the (Open) Dutch Swooping Tour
consisting of 8 events with an overall ranking over the best 5 results. The 8th and final event will be held October 2 -3 at the water resort Bussloo with a very nice beach and will be run from DZ Teuge.

More to come in the magazines.

Unfortunately (to put it mildly) I don't have the video of JC's swoop anymore [:/]>:(

Seems that when I left my camera's for a moment to visit the bathroom and get some drinks, somebody decided to sneak a look and didn't forward the tape again.
I didn't check the tape.
Lost 2 1/2 loads of swoopers, including JC's world record...........

D*mn d*mn d*mn...

Needless to say, if I ever find out who did it...... [:/][:/][:/]

It was an awesome vid too, with first the sensor going off (there's a horn blaring), then the whoosh of JC passing, followed by somebody behind me going "f*ng hell!!" then big applause.

Sorry JC :$[:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

congrats to JC for the swoop.

Sorry for the loss of footage Dragin2

Seems that when I left my camera's for a moment to visit the bathroom and get some drinks, somebody decided to sneak a look and didn't forward the tape again. ...
Needless to say, if I ever find out who did it...... [:/][:/][:/]

my intuition, it wasn't a skydiver... Otherwise you would have had NSFW footage and pictures in your abandonned camera... :P
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

There was only moderate, almost cross-wind.

When you say "almost" does that mean somewhere between downwind and crosswind or does that mean somewhere between upwind and crosswind?

There was somewhere between downwind and crosswind.
Johan.
I am. I think.

There was only moderate, almost cross-wind.

When you say "almost" does that mean somewhere between downwind and crosswind or does that mean somewhere between upwind and crosswind?

There was somewhere between downwind and crosswind.

See this is what annoys me. When push comes to shove its quite clear that there was a downwind component. But for some reason people seem to seek out the sensationalism. Now I am not trying to, in anyway, diminish what was accomplished here. But when you talk somebody's accomplishments up, that suggests to me that their accomplishments really don't have the merit to stand for themselves. Kind of like what was done with the VX-39. Sure its the smallest wing landed to this date. But its not exactly ground breaking that it can dock with a guy on a wingsuit. Anybody who can fly & land at over a 4.0 wingloading can easily accomplish this task. I for one have flown and landed fast enough to do this hundreds of times and had been doing it for more than a year before the 39 made its debut.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Hello Mr. Green,

It may not be ground breaking to you that it CAN be done, but it was in fact ground breaking that it WAS done; by very skilled people who HAVE actually achieved these things.

Quote: "Now I am not trying to, in anyway, diminish what was accomplished here".

But hat is in fact what you are trying to do. A downind of 5 mph is permitted, so unless there is proof of greater than a 5mph downwind, the record stands.

Quote: "I for one have flown and landed fast enough to do this hundreds of times and had been doing it for more than a year before the 39 made its debut". (way to pat yourself on the back)

And yet nobody cares. So then you have to go online to tell people that others have achieved lesser to make yourself feel better. Apparently Luigi IS the man when it comes to high wing loadings and small canopies. Others talk, but bullshit walks.... as usual. Keep talking, somone may listen.

As always. :P

*wild applause*

Luigi is the man

This is, quite possibly, the best retort I've ever seen to a said, "Mr. Green"

I don't know who you are but for the record. I don't reply to that character. In the past I have had my online arguements with him and they accomplish nothing. He always looks to stir the pot posting absolute nonsense. His nonsense and demeanor has him permanently banned from my local dz. So since I don't have to put up with him there, I can just laugh at what he posts here. Any objective person can see through his ramblings and for those who can't, I probably would be happier not dealing with them anyway.

But its not exactly ground breaking that it can dock with a guy on a wingsuit. Anybody who can fly & land at over a 4.0 wingloading can easily accomplish this task. I for one have flown and landed fast enough to do this hundreds of times and had been doing it for more than a year before the 39 made its debut.

Next time I'm in Dallas I'll bring my S3... lets hook up and dock B|
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

But its not exactly ground breaking that it can dock with a guy on a wingsuit. Anybody who can fly & land at over a 4.0 wingloading can easily accomplish this task. I for one have flown and landed fast enough to do this hundreds of times and had been doing it for more than a year before the 39 made its debut.

Next time I'm in Dallas I'll bring my S3... lets hook up and dock B|

sounds good to me, cool.
when do you think that might be?

Steel: Are you saying that you have had a wingsuit flyer dock on you while you were under canopy before Luigi did it?
reply]
I haven't actually done it. I remember talking about it in 2003 with John Storie (owner of the adventure loft). He is an avid wingsuit flier. We threw it up in the air as something that might be fun to try, but never got around to doing it. To be quite clear what I am saying is that, Anybody who can fly & land @ a wingloading above 4.0 can do it. This I have done more times than anybody else for sure.
I believe that Vladi Pesa had even tried it with a wingloading noticeably lower.

I believe that Vladi Pesa had even tried it with a wingloading noticeably lower.

he did it with a velo 84 at like 3.5 or something.

I haven't actually done it. I remember talking about it in 2003 with John Storie (owner of the adventure loft). He is an avid wingsuit flier. We threw it up in the air as something that might be fun to try, but never got around to doing it. To be quite clear what I am saying is that, Anybody who can fly & land @ a wingloading above 4.0 can do it.

how do you know if you haven't tried it??

i'm just saying, don't talk yourself up until you've actually done it, i have no idea how hard or easy something like that is, because i've never tried, so i don't go around saying it would be no problem to do.

one thing i do know, is that a 4.0 wing loading is really fuckin fast, and has no good for a decent swoop, and you have to run a lot. the first half sounds great (really fast) but not the whole having to run out a landing, just not for me.

later

A very good point. It is worth noting that Vladi had a special set of risers that held the fronts down (an old crew trick), essentially changing the trin to a very steep dive. IMO, the canopy pilot is not doing much in this dock, it is the birdman who has to realy make it happen and demonstrate amazing skill. (That being said, lets face it, Vladi is an incredible canopy pilot)

As has been shown, very low skilled persons can manage to land canopies at 4.0. BFD. Those same persons have not competed in any way (scared) or shown any advanced abilities beyond hitting the gorund hard and standing back up. Basically, any moron can fly any parachute, even 10 to 1 wing loading. Landing them is adifferent story. Landing them with a high degree of skill is yet again something totally different. :P

I have seen Bruno land his over 4.0 wingloaded canopy without having to run it out. So it can be done. I have also seen someone very experienced land that same canopy and have some diffuclty landing it. So it does take a lot of skill to land a 4.0 or more wingload.

I wouldn't touch any canopy that would put me any where near that kind of wing loading.

one thing i do know, is that a 4.0 wing loading is really fuckin fast, and has no good for a decent swoop, and you have to run a lot. the first half sounds great (really fast) but not the whole having to run out a landing, just not for me.

later

Here is a pic I had taken recently,( a couple of weeks ago). I was attempting to kick a cone here and came up about 20 feet short of it. You can still clearly see that there was no running involved, there rarely is.