Mattias148

Gear and age.

In an other post under the rigging forum someone was asking about age and gear. People who responded to this thread gave the person some good advice but some talked about jumping gear that was more than 20 years old.

Now, where I come from any part of a sports para gear that is 20 years old is directly deemed unairworthy (well not cypres'es but we are talking nylon parts here). This is from the fact that nylon slowly decomposes over time no matter how you store it (correct me if I'm wrong but I'm quite sure about this). This would mean that structural integrity of the fabric would drop over time and after 20 years it has decomposed enough to warrant being thrown out.

How does this work in the rest of the world, is this factor considered at all?

"Pull low, pack fast or boink your riggers girlfriend. 3 good ways to find trouble."

I don't think that properly stored nylon deteriorates appreciably with time. I've jumped canopies that were easily 30+ years old, and they were fine, and the fabric was certainly not degraded. What does make a difference is sun exposure, and dirt. As said in other posts, the case-by-case details are important. Time alone is not a significant factor, except as it is related to technological advances in equipment.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

when i was in germany it was 12 years for a container or reserve and 20 for a main.... thing was i ws american so they sorta overloked it at my club........ i have a main and reserve that are at 19 and 20 years.... i feel no less safe jumping them then if they were new....... got a little experiment... burry a plastic container.. dig it up a while later........ is it dirty...yes... is it almost the same...yes..... nylon is just plastic after all... well atleast it is to my non rigger self....

I don't think that properly stored nylon deteriorates appreciably with time. I've jumped canopies that were easily 30+ years old, and they were fine, and the fabric was certainly not degraded. What does make a difference is sun exposure, and dirt. As said in other posts, the case-by-case details are important. Time alone is not a significant factor, except as it is related to technological advances in equipment.

In addition to UV exposure and dirt, many chemicals have a deleterious effect on nylon - including water, ammonia, strong acids and some organic solvents. I expect ozone does too, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

Well, ozon breaks down anything organic (hydrocarbon compound) nylon being no different. So you are right about the ozone.

Take a deep sniff in a place where you store a lot of skydiving gear isn't there a slight smell of ammonia????

"Pull low, pack fast or boink your riggers girlfriend. 3 good ways to find trouble."

Well, ozon breaks down anything organic (hydrocarbon compound) nylon being no different. So you are right about the ozone.

Take a deep sniff in a place where you store a lot of skydiving gear isn't there a slight smell of ammonia????

You keep your stuff in a stable?