SLIDER

Cross Braced Canopy

When do people switch to a cross braced canopy?
What are some of the advantages and what are some of the down sides?

I've done a fair amount of research and it seems like its a very stable platform. Those pilots who fly them talk very highly of the flight characteristics.

I am just interested in the reasons for,and those against.

slider:P:P

B|
"there's a fine line between hobby and mental illness"

Not at 300 jumps, Look at this post. [ url "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1124590;search_string=I%27m%20angry;#1124590" ] I'm angry as hell [/url] >:(

Advantages: it's a rigid wing, which will provide more lift, more performance. Most have very long dives. Many pilots start a 270 at 700-800'.

Disadvantages: many of the xbraced canopies have issues with opening (tend to search, big surge, etc..) Probably the Xaos21 is the best opening. If you have vectran line sets, they usually need to be replaced between 300-500 jumps.

It seems the 21cells dive faster, but don't have as much carry. (However the Velocity does have the distance record, 418ft) Most people start jumping xbraced around 700-1000 jumps.

just my .02
D

My post was created as an "information only" post. I think that the information gained from the subject will be useful to those who read it - but I suppose only if they have half a brain.

I don't intend to get a cross braced 79 and start swooping the hell out of it. Just trying to get a bit more educated

Thank's for the info

:PB|:PB|

I switched to Xbraced at 1200 jumps,

for me the advantage is I start my 270 around 700' so I have more time to judge (and correct if necessary) my approach, unlike my stiletto which I started it way lower and pretty much had to be right on the money or I would do a peter pan right on by...

I have found are when I am filming tandems and pull around 4000' is I will still end up landing at the same time as some of the jumpers on their lightly loaded canopys, even though they threw at 2500' -- The only reason I consider this a disadvantage is I dont hook in traffic so I lose a chance for surfing....:S

One real downside is landing off the dz....... you definately dont wait to pick an area at 1000'

Line twists can eat the altitude like you wouldnt believe.

But all in all, I dont think I could go back to a non Xbraced and be happy.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

But all in all, I dont think I could go back to a non Xbraced and be happy.

Ya know I thought that too till I jumped the Katana. If I ever needed a non xbraced canopy, without a doubt that'd be the one.

Blues,
Ian

The Katana is sweet. I test jumped a 120 at the WFFC. What a nice flying canopy. Very nice! B|

I know people with thousands of jumps that never have and never would jump a X-braced canopy. Personally I switched around 1000 jumps. Plus side they fall out of the sky and will dive like no tomorrow with an amazing amount of flair, downside, they fall out of the skylike no tomorrow! Sucks to not be in the first group exiting. I pull higher than anyone in my group and have to constantly watch for traffic below because even with only one turn before setting up I've usually passed up everyone unless they pull in the basement or spiral down! Pack volume on the Xaos 27's is huge but it's a sweet canopy. The openings are a little better on th Xaos 21 which is one of the best opening canopies that I've ever jumped.

Thanks for all of the positive information. I'm sure everyone who is interested can gain alot from the opinions of those who have "been there" . I hope everyone uses this info to continue to be safe and gain the canopy knowledge and skills they desire

B|B|
Scott

:P:P:P

from what I understand, and this isn't first hand knowledge, just what I've heard, you don't really gain anything from x-bracing until you load it at 1.8 or 1.9... in fact the thinner airfoil makes it less stable at lower wingloadings, so it's actually more dangerous than normal... like I said, I could be mistaken, that's where the posts following this come in.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".